Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2014: Round 19 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Options
  • 19-11-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

image002.jpg

Circuit: Yas Marina

Circuit length: 5.554 km

Number of corners: 21 (9 right, 12 left)

DRS zones: 2

Race laps: 55

Race distance: 305.355 km

2014 tyre compounds: supersoft, soft

Circuit lap record: 1m 40.279s - Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 2009

First world championship Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi: 2009, Yas Marina (won by Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull)

Number of Grands Prix in Abu Dhabi: 5 (all at Yas Marina)

Number of races with at least one safety car appearance: 2 of the last 5

Longest Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi: 2012 (1h 45m 58.667s)

Shortest Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi: 2009 (1h 34m 03.414s)

Last year's pole position: 1m 39.957s - Mark Webber, Red Bull

Last year's podium: 1 - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull), 2 - Mark Webber (Red Bull), 3 - Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

Most appearances (current field): 5 - Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button; 4 - Kamui Kobayashi, Felipe Massa, Adrian Sutil

Most wins (driver): 3 - Sebastian Vettel; 1 - Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen

Most wins (constructor): 3 - Red Bull; 1 - McLaren, Lotus

Most wins (engine manufacturer): 4 - Renault; 1 - Mercedes

Most pole positions (driver): 2 - Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton; 1 - Mark Webber

Most pole positions (constructor): 3 - Red Bull; 2 - McLaren

Most pole positions (engine manufacturer): 3 - Renault; 2 - Mercedes

Number of wins from pole: One from five races (20 percent)

Lowest winning grid position: 4th (Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 2012)

Laps led (current field): 134 - Sebastian Vettel; 86 - Lewis Hamilton; 36 - Kimi Raikkonen; 15 - Jenson Button; 3 - Fernando Alonso

Most podium places (current field): 4 - Sebastian Vettel; 3 - Jenson Button; 2 - Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso; 1 - Kimi Raikkonen, Nico Rosberg

Percentage of 2014 season complete: 95 percent

Maximum number of world championship points still available to a single driver: 50

Significant running sequences going into this weekend: Nico Rosberg - 2 consecutive pole positions, 10 consecutive front-row starts; Lewis Hamilton - 6 consecutive podium finishes; Mercedes - 18 consecutive podium finishes; Sebastian Vettel - 10 straight points finishes; Renault - 118 races in the points as an engine manufacturer

Fascinating fact: Three times as many victories have come from starting second on the grid than they have from pole - but only once has a driver from outside the front row gone on to triumph.

Time is running out: Sebastian Vettel has just one more opportunity to record his first victory of the year. The last time a defending champion failed to a win a race the following season was Jacques Villeneuve (champion in 1997) in 1998. Ferrari and McLaren likewise have one final chance to record their first victory of the year. Should they fail to do so, it will be the first season since 1980 that neither team has triumphed.

Potential record breaker: Nico Rosberg could capture his 11th pole position of the year in Abu Dhabi. Only six drivers - Sebastian Vettel (with 15), Nigel Mansell (14), Ayrton Senna (13) Alain Prost (13), Michael Schumacher (11) and Mika Hakkinen (11) have claimed 11 or more poles in a single season.

Turbo history: If a Ferrari-powered car wins the race it will be the first Ferrari turbo win since the 1988 Italian Grand Prix.

image003_0.jpg
    Click the track to watch Pirelli preview the Yas Marina Circuit

Session Times:

Formula 1 – Sessions (BBC TV)
    21/11 – 08:55 to 10:35 – Practice 1 (BBC Two)
    21/11 – 13:00 to 14:35 – Practice 2 (BBC Two)
    22/11 – 09:55 to 11:05 – Practice 3 (BBC Two)
    22/11 – 12:10 to 14:15 – Qualifying (BBC One)
    23/11 – 12:10 to 15:30 – Race (BBC One)

Formula 1 – Sessions (BBC Radio)
    21/11 – 08:55 to 10:35 – Practice 1 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    21/11 – 12:55 to 14:35 – Practice 2 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    22/11 – 09:55 to 11:05 – Practice 3 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    22/11 – 13:00 to 14:05 – Qualifying (BBC Radio 5 Live)
    23/11 – 12:45 to 15:00 – Race (BBC Radio 5 Live)

Formula 1 – Sessions (Sky Sports)
    21/11 – 08:45 to 10:50 – Practice 1 (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 12:45 to 15:00 – Practice 2 (Sky Sports F1)
    22/11 – 09:45 to 11:15 – Practice 3 (Sky Sports F1)
    22/11 – 11:15 to 14:35 – Qualifying (Sky Sports F1)
    22/11 – 12:00 to 14:35 – Qualifying (Sky1)
    22/11 – 13:00 to 15:35 – Qualifying (Sky1 +1)
    23/11 – 11:30 to 16:15 – Race (Sky Sports F1)
    => 11:30 – Track Parade
    => 12:00 – Race
    => 15:30 – Paddock Live

Formula 1 – Supplementary Programming
    20/11 – 11:00 to 11:45 – Driver Press Conference (Sky Sports F1)
    20/11 – 20:00 to 21:00 – Preview (BBC Radio 5 Live)
    20/11 – 20:45 to 21:00 – Gear Up for Abu Dhabi (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 16:00 to 16:45 – Team Press Conference (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 17:00 to 18:00 – The F1 Show (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 18:45 to 19:00 – Inside F1 (BBC News Channel)
    22/11 – 18:45 to 19:00 – Inside F1 (BBC News Channel)
    23/11 – 15:30 to 16:30 – Forum (BBC Red Button)
    23/11 – 16:15 to 17:15 – Architects of F1: John Barnard (Sky Sports F1)
    26/11 – 20:30 to 21:00 – Midweek Report (Sky Sports F1)

GP2 Series (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 07:15 to 08:05 – Practice
    21/11 – 14:55 to 15:35 – Qualifying
    22/11 – 14:35 to 16:05 – Race 1
    23/11 – 10:15 to 11:30 – Race 2

GP3 Series (Sky Sports F1)
    21/11 – 11:00 to 11:35 – Qualifying
    22/11 – 08:00 to 09:00 – Race 1
    23/11 – 08:55 to 09:55 – Race 2

Formula E – Putrajaya (ITV4)
    22/11 – 05:00 to 07:30 – Race
    22/11 – 18:00 to 19:00 – Highlights

image004_0.jpg

image005_0.jpg

image006_0.jpg

Team Quotes:
    The decisive final round of the season sees the F1 teams head to the striking desert setting of the Yas Marina Circuit, where either Lewis Hamilton or Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg will be crowned world champion. Those involved in the 2014 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix discuss their prospects…

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton
    2013 Qualifying - 4th, 2013 Race - 7th

“Brazil was a great weekend for the team. Of course, it didn't go exactly to plan for me but second place in the circumstances was a good recovery and it was a great moment to get a record-breaking one-two finish for all the people who have worked so hard to give us this amazing car. I really felt like I connected with the fans in Sao Paulo and their support was just incredible - I still can't get over it now. That really inspires me heading into the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi. People talk about how long it's been since I won the title - but I honestly feel like I'm fighting for my first world championship all over again. Sure, I'm older and maybe a little bit wiser than I was back then. I've learnt a lot in the years since 2008 - but I'm still the same driver. I still have the same hunger, the same will to win, and I've been giving it everything I've got from the word go this season. I've had ups and downs along the way - but I've never once given up. I've managed to fight my way back from whatever has come my way and my approach doesn't change for this race. I've got a good record at the Abu Dhabi circuit. Last year was actually the only time I've not started on the front row or finished on the podium. But I've also had some misfortune there over the years - particularly in 2012. I'm hoping that bad luck won't play a part this time around and I know that the team has been working flat out to make sure it doesn't. I'm feeling relaxed, I'm feeling confident and I'm ready to win.”

Nico Rosberg
    2013 Qualifying - 3rd, 2013 Race - 3rd

“After the disappointment of Austin, Brazil was just the way to bounce back with a great weekend for both me and the team. I felt in control from the very beginning and it was a big positive to take the lessons from Texas and put them into action. Of course, it wasn't enough to regain the lead in the championship as Lewis drove a strong race to finish just behind me. But the gap is smaller than before and I absolutely believe I still have the chance to take the title in Abu Dhabi. It won't be easy, but I'll be full attack - just as I have been all season. Although this has been my first year fighting for a world championship, I've never felt more comfortable than I have done this year. The team behind us have done an incredible job and it's great that they've given both of us equal opportunity to compete with each other. There have been difficult moments just as there have been amazing moments - but this is what Formula One is all about and I hope that everyone watching at home has enjoyed the story of this battle as much as I have. Win or lose, double points or no double points, I feel proud of what I have achieved this year and especially proud to have been a part of this fantastic season for the Silver Arrows. I go into this race with no fear and with every belief that this can be my title. It's not over until that flag drops!”

Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
    “To claim two one-two finishes from another pair of back-to-back races was a great achievement. When fatigue can so easily become a factor this late in the season, everyone has stepped up their game to ensure a record-breaking end to an incredible year. Of course, our drivers were no exception and Brazil provided another tense, exciting battle - once again demonstrating how evenly matched they are. Nico controlled the race in impressive fashion - particularly given the disappointment he felt after Austin - while Lewis proved his fighting spirit once again to recover from a spin and push his team-mate all the way. Now, they head to the final race with a world championship on the line. When we look back through the season, each driver has had his share of ups and downs and both have shown great strength of character to recover from setbacks. As a team we are fortunate to have such a talented line-up and both are worthy champions in the eyes of everybody behind them at Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart. Of course, there will be bitter disappointment for one of them and great joy for the other. While it won't be apparent to them at the time, both have long careers ahead of them and they have proven their credentials for the years to come. You only have to look back to such great battles as that of Lauda and Prost in 1984 to see what can be achieved. This was the last title for Niki, who won that year, and Prost was defeated in that battle. But he then went on to win four championships before he retired. A top driver always has the ability to engineer another opportunity and both our boys have proven themselves to be just that: top drivers. It is now down to us to ensure that this fascinating year concludes in the right way by giving Lewis and Nico a platform to settle the title purely on the track. It is fantastic for the sport to have such a finale in what has been one of the great seasons of Formula One. I for one cannot wait to watch the race in Abu Dhabi and I'm sure those at home feel the same. May the best man win!”

Paddy Lowe, Mercedes team executive director (technical)
    “Brazil brought yet another exciting race with a great contest between Nico and Lewis and it was fantastic to set a new record for one-two finishes. In doing so, the team has surpassed a benchmark that I remember being set by McLaren during my first season in Formula One and one which I never thought we would see broken. That is still sinking in and is testament to what has been achieved by the team this year. In terms of the battle for the drivers' championship, it was a race which once again demonstrated how evenly matched our drivers have been all year and underlines the fact that either of them would be a worthy world champion. Unusually for Interlagos, rain did not play a role in the weekend. What we did see, however, was the impact of a revised tyre selection. It was positive to see that, despite concerns during running on Friday, the tyres performed well in the race and added to the spectacle with a three stop race, which is a credit to the job Pirelli have done this season. We now look ahead to Abu Dhabi, which has been the scene of a number of exciting title showdowns in recent years - none with such intense focus as this season with double points on the table. We will be running the weekend exactly as we would normally do with the absolute aim of giving both drivers an equal and fair shot at the title. Nothing is more important in our minds and in our preparations as we approach this race. Yas Marina is an impressive facility, with the track itself containing a large quantity of corners and requiring high skill levels from the drivers to put together a fast lap. We can expect a significant following both at the circuit and around the world for such a dramatic conclusion to the season, so we hope to put on a good show.”

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean
    2013 Qualifying - 7th, 2013 Race - 4th

“I think it’s a good track with very nice paddock facilities which in my opinion are amongst the best on the calendar. It’s also a very special Grand Prix given that it starts in the day and finishes under lights, which makes it incredible for the fans as they can see through our visors and watch how hard we are concentrating. However, it is very difficult to work on car set-up in FP1 and FP3 as conditions are not representative of those you’ll find in qualifying and the race. Therefore, FP2 becomes even more important for both the engineers and myself, which makes it a rather pressurized session. It’s a circuit with low-speed corners - so it’s one we may have a few problems with - but I’m confident we can dial-in the car to achieve the maximum result possible. Pastor and I will be doing everything we can.

“We’ve got a few upgrades coming which should give us a bit more power and with double points on offer, you never know! We are going to try our hardest to get the best result we can and create a positive mood over the winter for the team back in the factory. When things aren’t going right for you, it’s difficult on everyone so a bit of positivity will help the whole team. Pastor and I will be trying our upmost to bring back some strong points. Sometimes a bit of luck and some clever decisions is all you need to achieve great results, and that’s what we’ll be aiming for on Sunday.”

Pastor Maldonado
    2013 Qualifying - 15th, 2013 Race - 11th

“It’s always a special event and with it being the final race on the calendar this year, it’s going to be even more exciting. Away from the track, the people are always really welcoming, the weather is great and the place is spectacular. The pit and paddock complex is also amongst the best there is with excellent facilities.

“The first sector at the circuit stands out with Turns 2, 3 and 4 being particularly enjoyable and the final sector is incredibly picturesque. Although it is a reasonably new track on the calendar, the team has built up a lot of data from the five previous races there and various post-season testing sessions, so we’re used to the challenging set-up dilemma it poses. It’s a twilight race so it’s all about finding a balance between the hot daytime conditions and cooler temperatures when the sun sets. I’m sure it’s going to be one of the best races of the year. It’s been fun driving there in the past so I’m hoping to have another good race at Yas Marina.

“I think it’s crucial that we try and improve our qualifying pace because as soon as we are in the top 12, things should be on the up and we’ll be in a good position to fight for points. We’ve seen that our race pace is quite competitive so it’s all about starting from the highest grid position possible. We know this is an area we need to make big strides forwards and Romain and I are working closely with the engineers to improve our qualifying results.”

Federico Gastaldi, Lotus deputy team principal
    “I think it is a great place to sign off. Obviously with the drivers’ title still up for grabs it will be exciting at the very front to see who can win what has been a great battle. The ambience of the track and the surrounding area is excellent and it is a venue which is now well established on the calendar. The track is interesting with lots of different challenges. With the race going in to the evening, the lights and atmosphere make it a very distinctive event and a good one commercially for the sport with lots of celebrities and partner guests enjoying the weekend.”

Nick Chester, Lotus technical director
    “We would really like to be fighting for points with both cars. We made good progress in Austin and we should be nearer to that level of relative performance than we were in Interlagos where we knew we would face a challenge due to the nature of the track. For Abu Dhabi we believe that the E22 should perform quite well, particularly on the soft and super soft tyres. Yas Marina is a circuit where we’ve performed well in the past so we’d certainly like to end what has been a very tough season with a positive finish. The tyre selection for this last Grand Prix will make for an interesting race, with perhaps one more stop than if Pirelli had brought the medium and soft compounds. What’s certain is that it gives everyone a few more possibilities.

“We will carry on our [development] programme which is geared towards next year. We’re looking at evaluating a new steering wheel with a larger display and there will be some bodywork changes that the eagle-eyed might notice.”

Red Bull
    Sebastian Vettel
    2013 Qualifying - 2nd, 2013 Race - 1st

“I personally have very special memories of the Abu Dhabi circuit and race; it was here in 2010 that I became world champion for the first time in my favourite F1 car, the RB6. That was a weekend I will never forget and this year the race will mark another big moment in my career; my last race with Infiniti Red Bull Racing. Of course it will be an emotional weekend as we have great memories together, but I’ll enjoy the weekend with the team and with a bit of luck maybe we’ll get a final podium. The circuit itself is impressive. The five star Yas Marina Hotel spans the marina and across the track and is a spectacular landmark. One of the challenges of the track can be turn one which is very difficult to see and very fast. Also, turn 10, after the long straight which we take in first or second gear depending on the gear ratios, can be a good overtaking opportunity. I will arrive a bit earlier for the weekend as we have a show run with Infiniti in Dubai on Wednesday, which gives me a bit longer to enjoy the sunshine and warmth before we go back to winter in Europe!”

Daniel Ricciardo
    2013 Qualifying - 10th, 2013 Race - 16th

“Like many modern circuits it’s obvious that a lot of thought has gone into making the Yas Marina Circuit as safe as it possibly can be. Of course that’s absolutely the right thing to do but the consequence is that there’s lots of run-off. It’s the way it’s got to be but you never feel like you’re putting the car on the line. However Yas still manages to get the adrenaline going. I really like the third sector, around and under the hotel. It’s got a bit more of a street circuit vibe and it’s good fun. Plus there’s the whole twilight racing thing. That’s a great idea; it seems to give the whole place a really good atmosphere and is quite different to anywhere else.”

Force India
    Nico Hulkenberg
    2013 Qualifying - 6th, 2013 Race - 14th

"Abu Dhabi is a nice venue: very modern and with great facilities. The racing looks really cool on TV as the day turns into night and the track is pretty challenging for us in the car as well. The light is not really an issue once you are in the cockpit, but the layout makes it very easy to make mistakes and lose time, especially in qualifying. It's very stop-start, with a few chicanes and tight corners, so it is very difficult to get a good rhythm.

"It was nice to be back on the pace in Brazil and hopefully we will have similar pace in Abu Dhabi. It has been a great year for everyone in the team and it would be nice to end the season in style with some more points."

Sergio Perez
    2013 Qualifying - 9th, 2013 Race - 9th

"Abu Dhabi is a special race on a circuit I really enjoy. It's where I first drove a Formula One car and that is something that will remain with me forever. The facilities are great and the track is not easy to master: this year we also have double points and that gives you even more motivation to do well. Everything in the lap requires some compromise - you need a set-up that works on fast corners, stop-start turns and the twisty final sectors. You also need to think carefully about your choice of helmet visor: you start the race with a low sun that requires a dark visor, and end the race in the night needing a clear one."

Dr Vijay Mallya, Force India team principal
    "We are usually competitive in Abu Dhabi and I am really looking forward to it. It will not be easy [to snatch fifth in the constructors' championship], but we will give it everything we have and see if that will be enough. Whatever happens in Abu Dhabi, we already have sixth place in the championship secured, so there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. As a big Formula One fan, I am also eager to see the final chapter of the championship battle between Nico and Lewis - it will be exciting.

"I believe we have a lot to be proud of this season. We took on some huge challenges at the start of a new era of Formula One and we produced a competitive car. We took the fight to the biggest names in the sport; we got back on the podium on merit and did so without compromising on our philosophy. I feel that in Nico and Checo we have found a pair of drivers who are capable of pushing each other and the team at every race and this is helping us maximise the good work done by everyone at our headquarters and trackside. In 2014 we scored the biggest points total in our history and we want to build on this result to create an even stronger 2015."

Williams
    Felipe Massa
    2013 Qualifying - 8th, 2013 Race - 8th

“The track is like a street-circuit in one sector with slow corners and barriers quite close, and then a traditional circuit in the other with very long straights and flowing corners. We race in the evening but practice during the heat of the day, so to adapt the car towards cooler conditions is important, it can save a lot of time if you get this right. Being the final race of the season and with double points it is a very important race to finish in the top ten.”

Valtteri Bottas
    2013 Qualifying - 16th, 2013 Race - 15th

“Abu Dhabi is going to be an exciting race and it could play out one of two ways. The double points could be interesting and we will try and play it to our advantage. We have been trying to secure our position in the championship and so continue to focus on this, but I can still finish fourth in the Drivers’ Championship I will focus on this as well. It’s a nice place to go to, the temperature is warm, the people are friendly and the facilities good so I am looking forward to the race.”

Rob Smedley, Williams head of vehicle performance
    “Abu Dhabi has a great mix of long straights with high straight-line speed, big braking and a tight twisty section at the end of the lap. Our main focus is going to be on the third sector and getting the balance right there, which is always difficult due to the changes throughout the weekend with the temperature. You get a large variation in temperature throughout the sessions. It’s important to focus on the dusk to early evening track as that is the time the race will take place. The track has great facilities and you always get a really good crowd, who will hopefully be behind us. Our ambitions remain the same, to finish with a decent haul of points and finish third in the championship.”

Pirelli
    Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director

“It’s always a pleasure to return to Abu Dhabi and this year’s event will be even more significant than usual, with the drivers’ championship being decided and double points available. The strategy is normally greatly affected by the unusual track evolution, due to the falling temperatures caused by the late afternoon start. This was the case in Bahrain as well, which turned out to be one of the most exciting and unpredictable races of the season earlier this year. As a result, the free practice sessions will be particularly crucial, as the teams try to gather as much information as possible about how the car will perform on both compounds: not just with different fuel loads, but also with different track temperatures. As so many points are on offer, there is a big opportunity for teams that have less to lose to try an unexpected strategy, in order to make some potentially significant gains.”

McLaren
    Jenson Button
    2013 Qualifying - 13th, 2013 Race - 12th

"I really like going to Yas Marina. I've been on the podium there three times and it's a fun, tricky track to drive on. It's a circuit of a number of almost completely different sections: fast corners and two long straights in Sectors One and Two, and a tight, twisty, slow-speed bit in Sector Three. It means set-up is an interesting challenge, but, as it's not such a fast circuit, it doesn't require quite as much downforce as some of the other circuits we've been to recently.

"The result at Interlagos was a great boost for the team. It was the culmination of a lot of hard work by the guys and girls back at the factory and a consistent push to develop the car right up until the last race of the season. I managed the tyres as well as I could and it paid off, so we'll be aiming for more of the same in Abu Dhabi. Tyre wear isn't quite so crucial there because the race takes place at dusk as the temperature is dropping, so we'll try to get as much out of the car's performance as we can up to the very last lap.

"Abu Dhabi is a great place and a cool location to host the last race of the season. It should be an exciting race, as everyone will be pushing to finish 2014 on a high. For the whole team our ambition is to fight hard but fair as always, and get the result that is deserving of all the hard work everyone has put in to increase our performance throughout the year. I'm really looking forward to it."

Kevin Magnussen
    2013 Qualifying - n/a, 2013 Race - n/a

"Although I've never raced at the Yas Marina circuit before, I drove there in the Young Driver Test in 2012, so it's great to finish this season by going back to a place with such good memories. It's another anti-clockwise circuit, too, like Austin and Interlagos, so by now we should definitely be in the swing of things!

"Jenson's result in the last race in Brazil was really positive for the whole team, and shows that our car's performance is definitely improving. For me personally it was a tough weekend as the car definitely had potential, but we didn't manage to get the most out of it on my side of the garage, so that's something we'll really be focusing on in Abu Dhabi.

"Yas Marina is a great circuit to drive on as it has the best of both worlds: a technical, slower-speed section as well as fast, sweeping corners and long straights, which make it great fun. The atmosphere is fantastic there too, and I'm really excited about racing at dusk for the first time. I really want to finish this season with a decent result for the whole team, who have all worked so hard to keep improving our package race by race."

Eric Boullier, McLaren racing director
    "Yas Marina is a fantastic place to come to as the 2014 season draws to a close. It's a very impressive facility and racing at dusk is a wonderfully unique spectacle for F1 fans all around the world to enjoy. It's also positive for the sport that the championship will be decided in the final race, so the atmosphere is sure to be electric throughout the entire venue.

"This year has been a huge challenge for the whole McLaren team, but our definite progress as the season has unfolded has been very encouraging. Our push for development has been relentless and this will only continue into the winter as we prepare for next season. We are still improving the car even for Abu Dhabi, with all of our efforts being channelled into next year's car and moving McLaren ever closer to where we should be, back towards the front of the grid.

"The race in Abu Dhabi also marks the end of a very significant era in McLaren's history, and we'd like to thank Mercedes for our hugely successful and historic partnership over the past 20 seasons. With double points at stake, we are fully focused on securing the best possible finish in order to consolidate our position in the constructors' standings, and the aim for the whole team is to conclude the season with a positive result.

"It's important that we carry strong momentum into the closed season, so it would be great to reward the hard work of everyone at the factory in Woking with some valuable points. At Yas Marina there will be some big winners and big losers as the chequered flag falls, thanks to double points, so, providing we can maintain our recent improved pace, we are aiming to be in the former camp. As usual, we will be pushing from the moment we arrive to configure the optimal set-up on our car, so that we can take as much valuable information into the winter development phase as possible. Here's to an exciting weekend for both the team and the sport as a whole."

Toro Rosso
    Jean-Eric Vergne
    2013 Qualifying - 14th, 2013 Race - 17th

"A great track facility, nice hotels to stay in, good food and lovely sunny weather – a pleasant way to end the season. As for the track itself, it is not one of my favourites, but it does present some interesting challenges. The race itself is bound to be interesting because of the double points on offer. The fact the race starts in daylight and ends under floodlights also adds something to the ambience. I think the atmosphere in the paddock will be electric this weekend because it's the championship decider."

Daniil Kvyat
    2013 Qualifying - n/a, 2013 Race - n/a

"Last year I was in Abu Dhabi, but not to drive in FP1. I was only focussing on my GP3 weekend, which went very well as I won the championship, making it a very memorable weekend for me. I was aware of everyone watching me very closely as it had already been announced that I would be racing for Scuderia Toro Rosso the following year. It was important to show what I was made of. I like the track a lot, as it has an interesting and technical layout, which encourages you to push hard. It will be very different in a Formula One car naturally and I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like. The season comes to an end on Sunday night and although everyone needs a break sometimes, you like to do what you do, so in a way it's a shame it will be over. But I will be pleased to recharge my batteries in preparation for next year when a new challenge lies ahead and I am already looking forward to that."

Preview courtesy of the FIA, FOM, f1broadcasting, and Pirelli Motorsport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

1_d09adh2901.jpg
    The inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is go! 2009
    Formula One racing staged its first night race in 2008, and it followed it up in 2009 with the addition of its first twilight event: the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, held at the striking Yas Marina Circuit. Just after 1700 hours local time, as the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton led the field into the first corner as a huge crowd watched on from the grandstands. But it wasn’t to be the Briton’s day: failing brakes forced him into retirement just 20 laps into the race.
    (© Sutton Images)

2_d09adh3050.jpg
    Winner Vettel doused by champion Button, 2009
    Jenson Button (left) and Sebastian Vettel (right) had fought tooth and nail for the world title over the latter half of 2009, so it was only fitting that both men should end up on the podium at the season finale in Abu Dhabi. But while Button had clinched the ultimate prize in Brazil, at Yas Marina he had no answer for the Red Bull driver, who - once McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton retired - was able to win at a canter. Button, pictured here showering Vettel with rosewater, eventually brought his Brawn home third after an entertaining late-race scrap with the other Red Bull of Mark Webber.
    (© Sutton Images)

3_d10abu335.jpg
    The ‘famous four’ pose ahead of ultimate showdown, 2010
    The 2010 season will go down as one of the closest fought on record, with four drivers heading into the season finale at Yas Marina with a legitimate chance of clinching the drivers’ crown. After 18 thrilling rounds, Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso (second left, 246 points) held a slim advantage over the Red Bull duo of Mark Webber (far right, 238 points) and Sebastian Vettel (far left, 231 points), with McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton (second right, 222 points) a little further back. However, they wouldn’t finish in that order…
    (© Sutton Images)

4_dal1014no21.jpg
    Schumacher and Liuzzi tangle dramatically, 2010
    “I came round the third corner and saw a cloud of smoke in front of me. I couldn't move anywhere as there were cars all around me and then when the smoke cleared I saw Michael facing the wrong way round and stopped on track. I couldn't do anything…” That was Vitantonio Liuzzi’s assessment of the shocking first-lap crash in the 2010 Yas Marina race which ended with the Italian’s Force India perching precariously on top of Michael Schumacher’s stricken Mercedes. Thankfully, despite the severity of the accident, both drivers escaped injury.
    (© Sutton Images)

5_d10abu2636.jpg
    Petrov pours cold water on Alonso’s championship aspirations, 2010
    Going into the 2010 season finale at Abu Dhabi, Fernando Alonso was poised to complete a fairy-tale first year with Ferrari. After a mid-season wobble, the Spaniard had staged a remarkable comeback over the eight races leading up to the Yas Marina event, turning a 47-point championship deficit into an eight-point advantage. All he required to guarantee a third title was a top-two finish - and he didn’t necessarily need that depending on where title rivals Vettel, Webber and Hamilton finished. Sadly for Alonso (second in this picture), it wasn’t to be, thanks largely to a poor strategy call early in the race that led to him being stuck behind Vitaly Petrov (yellow car), who’d made his one and only pit stop under the early safety car brought out following the Schumacher/Liuzzi crash. Try as he might, Alonso just couldn’t find a way past the Russian’s rapid Renault and he eventually trailed home in seventh, losing the title by four points in the process.
    (© Sutton Images)

6_d10abu2686.jpg
    Vettel becomes the youngest ever F1 champion, 2010
    Sebastian Vettel had nothing to lose going into the 2010 title decider in Abu Dhabi. The German was 15 points behind Fernando Alonso in the drivers’ standings and knew he’d need a decent slice of luck to steal the crown. All Vettel could do was win and hope that everything else fell into place - and that’s exactly what happened. Against the odds the Red Bull driver became the youngest world champion in F1 history, leading to these wild celebrations in the paddock.
    (© Sutton Images)

d11abu3213.jpg
    Happy Hamilton mobbed by mechanics after ‘soul-affirming’ victory, 2011
    If you needed to know how much winning the 2011 race at Yas Marina meant to Lewis Hamilton, you needed only to look at his reaction following the race. The McLaren driver, who had gone three months without a victory and by his own assessment had ‘massively underachieved’ over the year, leapt from his machine in parc ferme before bounding over the fences to celebrate jubilantly with his crew (pictured). “I’m usually my own biggest critic - I’m always hard on myself when I make mistakes - but I really felt like I maximised everything today,” Hamilton said, having dominated the race from the moment Sebastian Vettel spun his right-rear punctured Red Bull on the first lap. “To be able to walk away (from the race) with a smile feels just fantastic: victory is good for the soul.”
    (© Sutton Images)

8_2012_abu_dhabi.jpg
    Rosberg takes flight over Karthikeyan, 2012
    One of the scariest incidents of the 2012 season occurred in the early stages of the race at Yas Marina when Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg flew over the back of Narain Karthikeyan’s HRT before slamming into the barriers. The spectacular incident occurred when Rosberg, who’d been shuffled down the order after an early pit stop for a new front wing, was left with no time to react as Karthikeyan, who he was following closely, slowed in a normally high-speed corner. “We had a problem with the hydraulic pressure and the steering of the car went rock solid - I had to lift my foot off the accelerator,” Karthikeyan would subsequently explain. Thankfully neither driver was injured in the unusual accident.
    (© Formula One World Championship)

9_ddk1204nov1160.jpg
    Leave him alone, he knows what he’s doing, 2012
    Kimi Raikkonen’s no-nonsense response to his race engineer’s repeated radio interjections during the 2012 race at Yas Marina has become the stuff of legend. “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing,” the Finn exclaimed, and to be fair, he did. After inheriting the lead from Lewis Hamilton when the Briton’s McLaren expired on lap 20, Raikkonen coolly held Ferrari's Fernando Alonso (in the background) at bay for 36 laps to take his first victory since returning to the sport at the beginning of the year.
    (© Sutton Images)

10_dne1303no333x.jpg
    Vettel celebrates seventh successive victory with handful of donuts, 2013
    At the previous race in India Sebastian Vettel celebrated clinching his fourth-straight world title with a jubilant display of donuts. However, whilst this thrilled the crowds, the FIA were less amused and hit the German with a reprimand for failing to return his car to parc ferme. Such a punishment might have put other drivers off repeating the stunt, but not so Vettel - at the very next race, having waltzed to his seventh successive victory, the Red Bull star performed another set of smoky pirouettes. This time though, he returned his car to parc ferme - and escaped punishment...
    (© Sutton Images)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Few photos from today at the circuit. Fun day so far and the press conference was certainly filled with interesting tidbits, most notably a snide dig from Rosberg. Went for a bit of a track walk this evening, nice and warm out so by the end of the lap I was pretty pleased to get back to the paddock!
    lewis-hamilton-nico-rosberg-abu-dhabi-press-conference-2014.jpg?w=660

nico-rosberg-abu-dhabi-press-conference-2014-2.jpg?w=660

lewis-hamilton-abu-dhabi-press-conference-2014-1.jpg?w=660

fernando-alonso-jenson-button-abu-dhabi-press-conference-2014-1.jpg?w=660

jenson-button-abu-dhabi-press-conference-2014-1.jpg?w=660

trackwalk-abu-dhabi-thursday-2014-3.jpg?w=660#

trackwalk-abu-dhabi-thursday-2014-71.jpg?w=660#

trackwalk-abu-dhabi-thursday-2014-1.jpg?w=660

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

What was Rosberg's dig Frostie?

christy c wrote: »
    What was Rosberg's dig Frostie?

This is the full quote from the press conference:
    Q: (Jon McEvoy – Daily Mail) Lewis, will you speak together before the race to ensure that there’s no argy-bargy out there?

LH: No.

Q: (Jon McEvoy – Daily Mail) You don’t need to or you have an understanding already....

LH: We don’t need to. It’s already been discussed at the beginning of the season and several times through the season and particularly after Spa, so there’s no reason to revisit it. We’re not children, we should know what is wrong and what is right.

Q: Nico, do you have anything to add?

NR: No, just that yes, Lewis can do something to keep it clean which is drive cleanly himself. So it’s not like he can’t do anything.

Nothing major but it got a round of applause and a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lol, handbags at dawn!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Frostie, that photo of the sun setting is beautiful.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Frostie, that photo of the sun setting is beautiful.

Can't wait for tomorrow now to get out and shoot the sessiins in that light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

frostie500 wrote: »
    Can't wait for tomorrow now to get out and shoot the sessiins in that light

How does it work out with the flood lighting? Is there enough light to keep the ISO down at base?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I like that Hamilton soaked up all of Rosberg's passive aggression and one mention of Spa him a reaction.

Vettel won that press conference. He doesn't get enough credit for his sense of humour. I really hope he succeeds at Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I liked Buttons reaction when Rosberg mentioned it, also the question to Alonso about next years partner.

• Advertisement

Anyone know which side of the blue bit is the track limit? Lot seem to be taking the piss early on.

Realistically Rosberg really needs Williams to be at the races this weekend to get some possibility of pressure from behind. Not an ideal start to the weekend for them. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's a shame some fans miss out because of silly conservation regulations.

Fernando Alonso ✔ @alo_oficial

"Tomorrow will be the hardest qualy of the year, not laps today and tomorrow minimum to save the engine. #Challenging ;)))"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Makes the double points for the last race even more ridiculous.

It could be reliability lottery that decides the race and where you finish in the championship.

Some photos from today for anyone that's interested
    d34a8300.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8123.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8084.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8928.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8615.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8487.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8876.jpg?w=640&h=426

d34a8029.jpg?w=640&h=426

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

A couple of lads I knew from college are there. Have been getting a wave of snapchats for the past couple of days. I am jealous much!

Lot of "last"'s for this Grand Prix.
    Alonso leaving Ferrari without having won the championship.
    Vettel leaving Red Bull after falling from dominance.
    Button possibly retiring from F1 altogether after a couple of poor years in a struggling McLaren outfit.
    Plus whatever may happen over the winter with teams folding and re-branding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pretty shocking way for button to go.
    Compare to mark webber who announced his own retirement early in season and could celebrate his last silverstone, monaco etc in style and with certainty.
    Button will jump out of car on Sunday not knowing if he will be in again next year. It's a disgrace what mclaren are doing.

To be honest McLaren have a lot of re-arranging to do and they seem to have started on the engineering side. Ferrari outwardly seemed the same after Brawn and them left but still haven't recovered. Maybe McLaren are doing the right thing by focusing on the behind-the-scenes stuff to get out of the doldrums.
    It is a bit classless though, and if I were to take a guess I'd have to guess it has something to do with Ron Dennis. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is Jenson button the soundest guy in F1 ? Any interview I've ever seen him do he comes across as such a nice person. It'll be a shame if this is his last F1 race. Sky just showed an interview with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What colour are DC's trousers? I just can't quite make it out :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

astrofluff wrote: »
    What colour are DC's trousers? I just can't quite make it out :D

He wouldn't get lost in a power cut anyway.

I'm guessing they've given up on penalising the track limits penalties then.

Poor lap from Nico but really no need to waste another set of tyres. Massa wasted a set in the first session for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Did Nico set his fastest Q2 lap on another set of tyres after the initial lock up? Looks to me he conserved the tyres with a slower lap for the benefit for the race start stint.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is Jenson button the soundest guy in F1 ? Any interview I've ever seen him do he comes across as such a nice person. It'll be a shame if this is his last F1 race. Sky just showed an interview with him.

Met JB for a few minutes in Singapore last year at a McLaren sponsor bash, and despite him just being out of bed as they tried to avoid the time adjustment, he was smiling and chatty and gracious. My OH was smitten anyway!

As a Le Mans goer i cant wait to see him announce for P1. Webber is a man transformed in WEC, all his fun and exuberance for racing is back

Really don't see why they left Lewis out to finish the lap, once Bottas couldn't beat him why not just get him back in the pits to save the tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A shame Bottas didn't split the two Mercedes. Would have made tomorrow somewhat more interesting.

HighLine wrote: »
    A shame Bottas didn't split the two Mercedes. Would have made tomorrow somewhat more interesting.

Definitely, and knowing Ricciardo he'll jump Bottas off the start just to leave things perfect for Hamilton. :P

Interview with Button was depressing. If one didn't know better it's as though the team are trying to get him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

I wouldnt be surprised to see a Williams win this race tomorrow. I'd imagine there wil be a fair bit of tippy toeing going on by both the Merc lads.

Its hard to believe Button might not have a race seat in F1 next year. Him and Alonso would make a great pairing for Mc next year.

Advertisement