Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is nice to live in Kildare??

• 18-08-2011 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Everyone

Looking to relocate from South Co Dublin to Kildare but dont know what areas are nice, and which arent.

Can anyone recommend where is good to live for a family with young children, stay at home Mum (so I would need Mum & Baby group etc), safe, good facilities etc etc?

Sallins looks nice? Monasterevin houses are so reasonably priced, is there a reason?? If it looks too good, it is???

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Newbridge is a great town - I grew up here and came back recently living with my wife and baby girl. Has everything you need in terms of shopping\entertainment\bars although maybe lacking in some really good restaurants.

It has the all important train station but maybe because of this and its proximity to Dublin, it is probably on the higher end in terms of house prices.

I plan to build just outside the town though soon - hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Agreed with above poster on Newbridge,

Very good town, lots of shops & ameneties, its not too big and not too small, geat town IMO. Also its half an hour from Dublin, and close to nearly all of the main motorways & routes around the country.

Apologies to anyone who lives in Monasterevin, but to my (limited) experience: the vandalism & crime rate is quite high in my experience. Some very nice developments there though with very appealing price tags on some very, very good houses!

Sallins isnt bad either, it's not chock full of facilities, but its on the doorstep of naas so anything you need is just 5 minutes away including General Hospital etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had considered a little summary of a few places around Kildare, but decided against it for a few reasons.

Although from Dublin, I have lived near Kilcullen, in Naas, near Robertstown/Kilmeague and now outside Sallins.

What you are asking is about a very personal opinion, you'd need to visit these places and spend a bit of time in each to get a feel for them.

Without any disrespect to the above two posters, I would not rate Newbridge as a town to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Hi,

we are from Dublin originally but now living in Celbridge (7 years). We have two small kids and my wife is at home with them. She

finds the mother and toddler group good and the schools seem to have a good reputation.There are nice walks in Castletown and a

good selection of pubs, restaurants and shops for the essentials.

The areas I would choose to live personally (in no particular order) are Celbridge(see above),Naas(plenty to do) and Maynooth (great transport links and amenities).

Hopefully we can move to a bigger house in about 18 months/two years and I reckon we will stay in Celbridge.

For a long term view(when the kids are older) the commute from Celbridge/Leixslip/Maynooth (67X/66X) to the city centre Dublin

colleges is pretty straightforward.

Nightlinks home for work nights out are handy too.

Now if only we had a swimming pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

I've lived in Monasterevin for five years.
    I've not seen any vandalism and am not aware of the crime rate being any different to other towns in the area.

It's a quiet, friendly town. If you're coming from the big smoke it might be a bit too quiet.

It would be nice to have more shops but it has a supermarket, a bank, a credit union, a cafe, two pharmacies, a post office, a train station, two football clubs and a hurling club, a library, a canal and a river.

There's a toddler group in the local gaa club.

I believe there's plans for a community centre and youth club

If you want to shop, Kildare outlet centre is just up the road and Newbridge is about 15 mins away.

Portalington is ten minutes the other way and has a lovely new leisure centre with a pool.

There's also have a festival each year, http://www.veniceofireland.ie/index.html

I don't drink much so can't really comment on the pubs but anytime I've been out I've had a good time.

I think the reason houses are so cheap is because the builders built far too many.

My wife is a stay at home mum and doesn't have any complaints. There are a number of mums in the area and my son has just finished in a really great pre-school and is off to school shortly.

You should call down and spend some time wandering around the town to get feel for whether it's for you or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

The Mulk wrote: »

For a long term view(when the kids are older) the commute from Celbridge/Leixslip/Maynooth (67X/66X) to the city centre Dublin

!

dont forget train (with feeder bus) from hazelhatch to Heuston!!!

I think a lot depends on where you (or your o/h) are going to be working....if its in dublin then you will realistically need to live in north kildare...places like newbridge, naas, are a bit of a commute away if you arent working in city centre (as you will need onwards connections usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

daheff wrote: »
    dont forget train (with feeder bus) from hazelhatch to Heuston!!!

I think a lot depends on where you (or your o/h) are going to be working....if its in dublin then you will realistically need to live in north kildare...places like newbridge, naas, are a bit of a commute away if you arent working in city centre (as you will need onwards connections usually)

Slipped my mind Heff about the train, although my wife used it for work (until kid number 2 came along).

Agree with north Kildare being a lot easier to commute ,I'm in and out to Baggot St. in under an hour most days, but I think this shows in the house prices, compared to places further south in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

if you wanted to go further south
    I would Advise Athy
    I live in Coneyboro and the houses there are lovely,
    you could get a great deal now.

train / bus to dublin
    by car
    25 min to portlaoise
    20 min to Naas
    20 min to Newbridge
    15 min to Carlow
    1hr to Dublin
    many schools, of which most have new facilities.
    new swimming pool
    two lovely hotels
    a few good restaurants
    many pubs
    thousands of take aways
    a river
    a canal
    tri athy every year
    10 min to the m9 motorway
    a sunday market
    shops and supermarkets
    rugby, soccer, gaa, swimming, canoeing, and loads more sports and facilities,
    some of the cheapest petrol and diesel in dublin and kildare

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

As a south county dub living in kildare, I'd go for newbridge based on what you arr saying. I'm now in a rural area but initially I was in newbridge and would day that the facilities, the variety of leisure, ease of travel and variety of housing would tick many boxes for you. Good range of schools too.

wellesly manor on Dublin side of town is nice small private estate that may suit cod plenty of families and south fibs there too and walking distance to town yet feels spacious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

Agreed with above poster on Newbridge,

Very good town, lots of shops & ameneties, its not too big and not too small, geat town IMO. Also its half an hour from Dublin, and close to nearly all of the main motorways & routes around the country.

Apologies to anyone who lives in Monasterevin, but to my (limited) experience: Its a failed town, no facilities & no ameneties, also the vandalism & crime rate is quite high. Some very nice developments there though with very appealing price tags on some very, very good houses!

Sallins isnt bad either, it's not chock full of facilities, but its on the doorstep of naas so anything you need is just 5 minutes away including General Hospital etc.
    are you taking the piss ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

airmax87 wrote: »
    are you taking the piss ?

Im not, maybe its localised to certain parts of the town, I dont know, but my sister lives there so im not just basing my opinion on nothing.

Im not going into details about anything because I dont want to berate a generally nice place.

Ive just had quite a few bad experiences and am just giving the OP my opinion.

If you disagree, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Check Monasterevan forum here and see there's not much talk of scumbagism. http://campbells.proboards.com/index.cgi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maynooth is definitely worth a look especially if you need to commute to Dublin.
    It is a lovely town for kids and mammies.
    It is within the Dublin commuter zone so commuting is not expensive (www.taxsaver.ie)

It would also be slightly more expensive then surrounding areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I'm in Celbridge.
    3 kids (one of which in college in Maynooth). No transport problem either to Dublin or to Maynooth , both junior and secondary schools are fine.
    More than enough choice in supermarkets (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco etc).
    House prices not too bad.
    Don't drink, so cannot comment on pubs.
    Not much sign of 'scumbagism'.

The only 2 negatives for me:
    - traffic congestion down main street and no sign of anything meaningful being done about it.
    - Real busybody/nosy neighbours. Something that irritates the sh1t out of me as I place a premium on my privacy. Although this issue could just be limited to my particular road :(

If you want privacy you have to move to an isolated site with no other houses in sight but then there is still no guarantee you will get your privacy.

True, but what I'm referring to is constant peeping from behind closed curtains (the old hag would have been a perfect candidate to work for the KGB) anytime someone comes to visit or sticking your head over the wall to have a gander (yes I mow the lawn weekly and no, I don't have a scrap yard in the back).
    I've got it virtually direct from the source that the ladies in the area gather round for a cuppa and gossip about 'things'

That type of 'soapie' behaviour really ticks me off.
    Joe Public wrote: »
    If you want privacy you have to move to an isolated site with no other houses in sight but then there is still no guarantee you will get your privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

You want to know where is nice. How about anywhere that you decide to put an effort into helping out in. I am sick of people moving to and getting accommodation in Kildare and giving out that the area is a tip, and not lifting a finger about it. Why not clean the place up/confront the thugs? Oh, I see, like America, such tasks have long been assigned to OTHER PEOPLE.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Athy would not be my choice.

Italia wrote: »
    True, but what I'm referring to is constant peeping from behind closed curtains (the old hag would have been a perfect candidate to work for the KGB) anytime someone comes to visit or sticking your head over the wall to have a gander (yes I mow the lawn weekly and no, I don't have a scrap yard in the back).
    I've got it virtually direct from the source that the ladies in the area gather round for a cuppa and gossip about 'things'

That type of 'soapie' behaviour really ticks me off.

That's just neighbourhood watch in action:)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

I see you are a mod for primary/pre school forum.

Athy has three brand new primary schools.
    One new community college.
    A recently extended modern post primary school.

I take it your opinion is not based on educational opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Great argument.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,
    Athy OK ish.
    Monasteriven OK.
    Newbridge, OK.
    Naas very good.
    Kilcullen very good.
    celbridge good.
    Maynooth good.
    Leixlip good.
    Sallins OK.

If you want quite and not too big go for Sallins or Kilcullen.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

Hi,
    Athy OK ish.
    Monasteriven OK.
    Newbridge, OK.
    Naas very good.
    Kilcullen very good.
    celbridge good.
    Maynooth good.
    Leixlip good.

Sallins OK.

If you want quite and not too big go for Sallins or Kilcullen.;)
    The three bad ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Mmmm OK not fantastic.

airmax87 wrote: »
    The three bad ones..

Bad ones?
    Hopefully a tongue in cheek comment, otherwise based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm living in Kilcullen and think it's a lovely little town with a nice sense of community. I'm not a parent, so don't want to comment too much on that aspect, but there is a play school and as far as I know the other schools in the area are pretty decent.

We're just off the motorway and on a good day I can get to work in the city centre in 45 mins - 1 hour. Regular bus service to Dublin too. It's close enough to Naas and Newbridge for us to benefit from all the amenities while still living in a small town setting.

Personally I would not live in Newbridge, the only reason being I like the small town feeling and it just doesn't have it. It also has loads of housing estates and the centre attracts loads of people so it's a very busy place. It has every amenity you could want though so I guess it's whatever you'd prefer yourself.

Athy - I have posted on the area before. I find it rough. Very rough actually - I used to go out with someone from there and even he would say how bad it is. I've had a few bad experiences in the town, which I have never had anywhere else. Not to mention the fact that it's a total bottle neck with regards to traffic and the shop fronts could do with a bit of a clean up.

EDIT: Naas would also be a top choice for me. A lovely old style town but with a nice wide main street, some new shops and a wealth of little cafes etc. It's a lovely place to spend the day anyway. I don't know about the homes or schools though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

I agree 100% with Lagente. All towns have their good and bad points.

It saddens me to see the comments on Athy. I'm tired of reading comments such as the above. Athy is no rougher than any of the other towns. Newbridge has been in the news more than Athy over crimes and incidents. Any place where alcohol is involved is going to see their fair share of fights and what not. I've gone out in Athy but also the other main towns in Kildare and I don't see much of a difference.

Athy has a lot going for it lately, and the community has been doing alot in the last number of years to promote itself (especially in terms of its heritage, the new leisure centre, its numerous schools etc). If the town is supposedly "rough" its surprising then that the Ploughing Championships are happening there 3 years in a row??

Apologies for sounding like a ranting old person but I just think that people go too much on the past. I understand people are entitled to their own opinions but just think we should be a bit more open minded. I think the people who have put their effort into promoting the town deserve more than have people put their efforts down by simply writing it off based on its past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jdoc79

Naas or Sallins I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Smurfet - Having only stopped in the place maybe 5 times - almost every time I had hassle. Most recent of which was only a few weeks ago, so how is that based on the past? There is nothing closed minded about experiencing something, on more than one occasion, and basing an opinion on those experiences.

People who are promoting the town deserve more than to have their efforts ruined by a few people. While it might upset you, my opinions are based on recent fact. If you are tired of reading comments like mine then perhaps it's time to let the management of certain food & drink places know that you're tired of the fact they continue to serve people who are causing trouble in and around their premises.

You likely know a lot more about Athy than I or anyone else who is just passing through. And I'm sure that there are areas of beauty etc there too but for me there is no getting away from my experiences in Athy. I had no control over the incidents I witnessed, the only people who have control of what happens in an area, are the people in the area.

EDIT: So to stay on topic, OP I would recommend Naas or Kilcullen based on my own preferences. I would recommend staying away from Athy based on my own experiences and I don't know much about celbridge or leixlip but have had friends live in both places very happily. :)

Advertisement