Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bed Bugs

• 08-12-2008 8:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Has anyone ever had any issues with these in Ireland? I have to get the exterminator men to come tomorrow to blast my house with chemicals as they're biting the hell out of me at night and driving me nuts! Not cheap either! Apparently they're on the rise worldwide as chemicals available to treat them aren't as freely available anymore and they're tough little critters. At the prices the exterminators charge I'm thinking of introducing them to Ireland in droves, and setting up a pest control company. I'd be rich!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Set your bedroom on fire, that'll learn 'em:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

yep, these fcukers? i worked for rentokil years ago and there were only a few cases in EHB hostels etc

are your bites like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Just grand. Now I'm going to get those phantom itches at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

marcsignal wrote: »
    yep, these fcukers? i worked for rentokil years ago and there were only a few cases in EHB hostels etc

are your bites like this?

yes, those bites are familiar alright :(. I've never actually seen one, that's the thing, i'd be even more freaked out though if I did see one. They manage to bite my fingers all the time when i'm asleep, cheeky bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    yes, those bites are familiar alright :(. I've never actually seen one, that's the thing, i'd be even more freaked out though if I did see one. They manage to bite my fingers all the time when i'm asleep, cheeky bastards.

Take off the matress cover and look at the seam around the edges like here.

the technician will spray around the edges of your bedroom floor, and your entire materss, but the chemical used (usually deltametherin) can irritate your skin too, so when he/she's finished, let the matress dry all day before putting 2 or 3 sheets over it before you sleep on it that night.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's all the fault of the English. There were no bed bugs in Ireland until the English came.
    (According to Frank McCourt anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

marcsignal wrote: »
    Take off the matress cover and look at the seam around the edges like here.

Surely the critters in that picture aren't bed bugs??
    They are huckin' FUGE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I thought we had bed bugs when we first moved to NZ. Bed bugs that strangely ddn't bite my boyfriend - only me. It turns out, after a trip to the doctor who was luckily an ex pat and knew what it was straight away that I am allergic to the washing powder in NZ. I use sensitive stuff now and I'm fine.

It was scary for a while thinking of nasty bugs in my bed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Had them in Paris for ages until I figured out where the midnight itchings were coming from.

A royal bitch to remove when you're living in a 19th century flat with wooden floors and roofs as even if you're place is clean they can easily spread from the neighbours..

Shame really as I ended up selling that place (not 100% due to bugs) though it had a fine view of Notre Dame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

They LOVE anything wooden, so if your bed has a wooden frame it normally easer to get a news steal one.
    Because even if there is only one pregnant female she can lay thousands of egg that can lay dormant for up to three years!
    They can not live in your bed cover or duvet but as small enough to come though the fibres, so their young are almost transparent so very had to see.

When they bit you they numb the surrounding area so they are normal long finished feeding on you before you even feel the bit.

They are attracted by the CO2 you exhale and also favour females.

• Advertisement

I have never felt so ill and scared of my leaba......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Put a few tarantulas in your bed to eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, whoever you live, you need to get them to say "Night night, Don't let the bed bugs bite" just before you go to bed each night. Works a charm.

If you don't live with anyone, get a hobo to shout in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Leave my cousins alone, we have a right to live too y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I thought bed bugs were tiny little things that are almost invisible to the naked eye and they feed on your dead skin and that's why you flip the mattress every six months or so.

Those ****ers are huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We thought the dog had fleas a while ago. I started getting mad itchy. We brought him to the vet and the vet said he hadnt fleas. The itchin stopped fairly rapidly. funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Terry wrote: »
    I thought bed bugs were tiny little things that are almost invisible to the naked eye and they feed on your dead skin and that's why you flip the mattress every six months or so.

Those ****ers are huge.

I think, and open to correction on this , you are talking about "mites" which are in every bed.. , but keep to themselves, and feed on dead skin. Think carpets have similar

bed bug man came this morning, he was only there about 20 mins, I doubt he destroyed them for sure, i've been reading about them on the net and they're pretty much indestructible. They can go without blood/food for 6 months and can travel up to 20ft to feed before going back to their hiding space. ARGH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    bed bug man came this morning, he was only there about 20 mins, I doubt he destroyed them for sure, i've been reading about them on the net and they're pretty much indestructible. They can go without blood/food for 6 months and can travel up to 20ft to feed before going back to their hiding space. ARGH!!!

I'm in my bed and i'm seriously thinking of sleeping on the couch tonight - bed bugs don't like leather surely? ? ?

oh feck..

grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I only used to have to fear ketchup, ice skating and injections - now I'm afraid to sleep...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

we used to have them in our old house.

Its something to do with wooden furniture but also the heat. They were especially bad in the summer from what I can remember.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I've slept with worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Terry wrote: »

Those ****ers are huge.

You're thinking of these lovely little critters.

Sleep tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Might be stating the bleeding obvious here but would you not just throw your bed out ? :confused:

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Might be stating the bleeding obvious here but would you not just throw your bed out ? :confused:

It's not that easy, obviously you've never had trouble with them before!

Advertisement