Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Another light can be used to indicate that the smoke detector has activated in the lavatory closest to that light.

The Amber Light does this function!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭orionm_73

On Airbus, if the amber light is steady it means a passenger has pressed the call bell in the lavatory. (Mostly because they think its a button for a hand drier). If the amber light flashes its because of a smoke detection. It will also be accompanied by aural warnings and additional indications on the info panels at each crew station.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    Pclancy...... one of these :)

5970748260_69e1121127.jpg

Smurfjed

That's quite the arty photo.........looks to have only nosegear, missing a wing and no fuselage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

looks to have only nosegear, missing a wing and no fuselage!
    This is the "sports version", less drag, better fuel economy :):)

smurfjed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Well it differs depending on aircraft type. But usually the blue light indicates a passenger has pressed the call bell in the cabin. The red/pink light means a call from the flight deck or other cabin station and the amber means someone has pressed the call bell in the lavatory. Another light can be used to indicate that the smoke detector has activated in the lavatory closest to that light.

Thanks for that! I have another question, On large aircraft, say an A321,A330, A380, 757 ,767 etc. where there are several crew stations i.e. at every main door what are the procedured for onboard communication?? Say in an emergency, can the captain make a call from his seat to all crew phones at once? As in can all the crew(when in their seats) talk on their phones at the same time? Or Can the captain only call the SCCM ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Silly question but why are all the passenger windows on planes scratched or marked?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Sitec wrote: »
    Silly question but why are all the passenger windows on planes scratched or marked?

The inner panel because people are animals. Outer panel due to ice/debris/dust etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Have ye ever caught someone knocking one out or trying to join the mile high club?

Any related stories?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Have ye ever caught someone knocking one out or trying to join the mile high club?

Any related stories?

haha Neil Prendeville

Any related stories?

Well as this is a thread answered by PILOTS I would assume that such an incidence would involve gross misconduct on the part of your co-pilot and some questionable handling skills......

We all love some extended time on the stick from time to time!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

A trip earlier this month...

Arrived at the airport about 7am. Went through security to the briefing area, picked up the paperwork as I was the first pilot in, and dropped it in the briefing room. Then headed off for an important duty...a large coffee from the coffee shop! By the time I got back, 2 of the other pilots had arrived. It was a long flight so we had 2 crews, 2 Captains and 2 First Officers. After introducing ourselves to each other (none of us had flown together before), we briefed the flightplan, route, and decided among ourselves how to do the rest breaks. Next we met the Purser and the rest of the cabin crew, introduced ourselves and gave them a brief on the flight times, weather conditions and any extra details. Then we all headed together to the aircraft on the crew bus.

Onboard, the augmenting Captain went to do the external walkaround, and the augmenting F/O to make sure there was plenty of pillows and blankets in the bunks.
    In the cockpit, we went through the techlog, set up the flightdeck, downlinked the flightplan and details to the FMC and ordered more coffee. As I was Pilot Flying for this leg, I did the pre-departure briefing, reviewing the actions in the event of an RTO, an engine failure after take-off, the expected taxi route, expected SID and anything else considered pertinent on the day.
    By the time this was done, we had a final zero fuel weight sent from load control. We then agreed on what fuel we would uplift, taking into consideration the take-off weight allowable, enroute weather, destination weather and our experience of previous flights to this destination. We then independently did the performance calculations in the EFB's and cross checked them.
    Once fuelling was complete, and our loadsheet had been downlinked from load control, we entered all the performance calculations into the FMC.

Then the usual, push back, taxi out, take off and climb to initial cruise altitude of about FL320. At top of climb, the augmenting Captain and F/O headed off to the bunks. For the next 6h 30m, we cruised across Africa, avoiding thunderstorms, trying to talk to ATC on HF and VHF, and making position broadcasts to other aircraft on the Inflight Broadcast Frequency. Thankfully, some of the ATC units there now have CPDLC, so that made things easier.

After some lunch, it was time for my break. The augmenting crew returned, we briefed them on what was going on and then headed off to the bunks ourselves. I changed into more comfortable clothes, went to the bunk and watched a few episodes of Family Guy, then had a sleep. 6H 45m later, it was time to go back to the cockpit. I had a wash, changed back into uniform and re-took my seat.
    At this point we were about 1 hour from landing, so we got the ATIS for destination and the Metars and TAF's for the alternates. We briefed for the approach, paying particular attention to the large thunderstorms transiting through the airfield area and the fact that ATC there is not the best in the world. On checking in with approach, we were directed to take up the hold at the IAF point. After a bit of "direct" questioning of ATC, the told us to expect 30 mins in the hold due to traffic and weather. We checked our alternates, deciding that we could only hold for 20 mins before needing to divert. ATC were informed of this, and miraculously, we were almost immediately vectored out of the hold and onto the STAR. A bit of thunderstorm deviation on the approach was followed by an ILS in lashing rain.
    After landing, we taxied in and parked at the gate, waving to the Lufthansa crew beside us in an A340 waiting to pushback. After shutdown, we completed all the relevant paperwork between the 4 of us and tidied up the cockpit. Total block time from pushback to shutdown was 15h 40m.

The bus ride to the hotel took about 50 mins in rush hour traffic. After checking in, myself, the 3 other pilots and the purser said we would meet in the hotel exec lounge at 7pm. Pilots are notoriously good at sniffing out good deals, and the free beer, wine and food until 8pm in the lounge couldn't be turned down!
    After a few drinks, it was time to hit the bed for a nights sleep. At this point I'd been awake for over 22 hours.

The next morning I was up at about 7am and went for (free) breakfast in the exec lounge again. I then went for a walk around the city and picked up a few bits and pieces on the shopping list I had from other people! I got back to the hotel about 2pm and spent the rest of the afternoon watching TV and browsing the internet as it was now pouring with rain again outside. Around 6pm I had some food, then got into bed to catch a couple of hours sleep before pick up at 11pm.
    At pick up time, I met up with the rest of the crew downstairs and we got back on the bus for the 50 min drive to the airport.

Once onboard the aircraft, we pretty much did the same things as the day before, except this time the other 2 pilots were operating and we were augmenting.
    Pushback was a few minutes early and soon we were climbing out on the way home. At top of climb, myself and the other augmenting pilot headed back to the bunk. As it was about 2am local time now, the next 6 h 30m of solid sleep was great!
    After getting a wake up call from the cockpit, we headed back to replace the other 2 pilots. It was now blazing sunshine outside, which soon wakes you up!
    For the next 6h 30m or so, we cruised along, doing the reverse of the previous day. At one point we passed 1000ft underneath our fellow company aircraft heading in the other direction to where we had just come from. In no time it was dark outside again, our "day" having lasted about 5 hours.

An hour from landing, the other pilots returned and replaced us. They did the briefings for the approach and set everything up. As we were arriving at a busy time, ATC had us slow down for sequencing about 200 nm out. We then spent 20 mins going around the hold before being cleared on the rest of the STAR. At about 10 mins from landing, ATC asked us if we could do the RNAV approach to the other parallel runway as there was some FOD reported on our expected landing runway. A quick re-brief and set up and that was sorted.
    Taxi-in, shutdown and more paperwork completed, we left the cockpit. Total block time from pushback to shutdown was 15h 20m.

Once all the passengers were off, the cabin crew completed there post landing duties and we all got on the crew bus back to the briefing area. There we collected our suitcases and went through customs. I arrived home about 45 mins later at about 1 am local time.

I left home about 0620 on Monday morning, got back about 0100 Wednesday night/Thursday morning. 31 hours of flight time and about 34 hours in total onboard the aircraft in 3 days.

I was rostered off for the following 3 days and used them resourcefully....in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Does each crew member get credit with the full flying time(30+ hours) or do you only get the time in the seat(15+ hours)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Does each crew member get credit with the full flying time(30+ hours) or do you only get the time in the seat(15+ hours)?
    When operating, you get full credit time. When augmenting, just stick time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭omega man

Eatmyshorts..........nice piece. does accepting an rnav approach 10 minutes out not add a fair amount of additional workload??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

May I ask what the flight was that it was 15 hours or so? Would there be any commercial routes longer than that?

May I ask what the flight was that it was 15 hours or so? Would there be any commercial routes longer than that?

Could be a few.....Atlanta-Dubai or perhaps LAX-Sydney. That is pretty much the limit of regular scheduled flights. Most aircraft are't really optimised to operate longer than that. Singapore however operate an all Business class route from Singapore to Newark using an A340....I believe it takes 19-20 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 16 selenawolf

Do you guys have naughty thing going on with the stewardess? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Slightly cheesy question:
    Did most of you know you wanted to be pilots from a young age?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

selenawolf wrote: »

Same as any company I'd say. Maybe a slightly bit higher as you have men and women mixing a lot and going out for drinks together on nightstops can lead to things but some cabin crew in relationships, others are sick of pilots hitting on them and others are up for it. Just like other places.
    Slightly cheesy question:
    Did most of you know you wanted to be pilots from a young age?

I did and most of the people I know did. I was never in a passenger plane until I was 16 and never in a flightdeck until I did base training. Just always knew it's what I wanted to do. I would say do other things first though. I know people who rush straight from school and I'd hate to have done that no matter how much I like it.

Other people don't know until later in life. One of my friends became cabin crew and one day decided he wanted to be a pilot. But it's at the point in monetary terms where you better know because it's too much to pay off in a job you hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Harems of them banging our doors down........

I wish:p

What do you think is the real reason we lock the cockpit door?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Hi, have a question related to standby/non-rev travel is it common on EI/BA and possible without being related to an employee if so how does the process work?

Apologies if this not the appropriate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭orionm_73

On EI staff travel is very limited, both with regard to who qualifies and the (small) number of tickets they get per annum if they aren't a qualified relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

LeftBase wrote: »
    What do you think is the real reason we lock the cockpit door?

Well you're only locking that door a few weeks by the sounds of it...

It's a security reason and from personal experience it's a bloody good rule. When you have a crazy arabic man bang furiously and try in vain to open it just after take off, you realise quite quickly why we really have these rules.

:D

Well you're only locking that door a few weeks by the sounds of it...

It's a security reason and from personal experience it's a bloody good rule. When you have a crazy arabic man bang furiously and try in vain to open it just after take off, you realise quite quickly why we really have these rules.

:D

Enough with the racial profiling! ;)

I was making a smart comment about the throngs of cabin crew trying to have their naughty way with us(me):D.

I was making a smart comment about the throngs of cabin crew trying to have their naughty way with us(me):D.
    Those fantasies of mine died a long time ago..............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

If we ever over night its usually only after a long tech delay. I'm so tired at that stage that when the late night knock on the door comes with the tasty ccm saying " I've no toothpaste in my crew bag can I come in and borrow yours?" I usually just tell her to put her toothbrush up to the keyhole and I'll squeeze some through:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm one of those people that when i'm flying somewhere i'll arrive at the airport 2hrs before, check in the bags and go for a pint, just so i'm there etc.

Now i've seen some of these Airport programmes and the clowns who turn up late, what's the pilots point of view on that? Some of the pilots on the programme let them on, others don't, what makes you come to that decision?

The check in staff sometimes say they can't let a passenger on because all the weights have been done, surely 2 people and a couple of cases can't affect the weight load that much??

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that when i'm flying somewhere i'll arrive at the airport 2hrs before, check in the bags and go for a pint, just so i'm there etc.

Now i've seen some of these Airport programmes and the clowns who turn up late, what's the pilots point of view on that? Some of the pilots on the programme let them on, others don't, what makes you come to that decision?

The check in staff sometimes say they can't let a passenger on because all the weights have been done, surely 2 people and a couple of cases can't affect the weight load that much??

Once the load sheet is completed and handed in and signed then that is final! If the numbers on the sheet don't match the numbers in the air then it is a no no! When you start making little exceptions common practice larger one's move in to take their place!

Also if they are that late you want to get the doors closed, passengers briefed on safety etc and get pushed to keep to your slot. That may be commenced and completed up to 20 mins before wheels up time. If you at a busy airport missing your take off slot may mean an hour wait for another free one.

Advertisement