Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

August repeats

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Your course leader would be the person to contact about that Djemba Djemba.

I'd speak to them before you attempt it again just to make sure. They won't want people falling out of the course because of 1 module, especially if it's one that has a history of students struggling in it.

First and foremost though, concentrate on passing it so you won't even have to worry about all of this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

quick question for you guys if you happen to know the answer; just say you carry a failed subject from first year into second year. Then you fail the exam repeat in the august of second year, a year after you would have taken the first repeat. What happens then, if hypothetically you have passed everything else in first and second year but didn't pass that first year module again.

I contacted the exam office and they said you can sit an exam a max of four times in a college degree in WIT, but I didn't ask them what happens if you fail it on your fourth attempt as I was a bit taken aback from that as what i gather from that is that your basically kicked out of the course and can't continue?

But then, a guy in another course I know of is repeating a first year module again he carried in the august repeats of his third year in the course apparently he said.

So does anyone know what the deal is, maybe if it happened to you or someone you know?

Do you infact not be able to continue the course, regardless if you pass all other modules, or is it a case of being allowed to resit the exam as long as your in the course and keep paying i.e. if its a 3 year course, you can sit the repeat again in third year?

Its a funny question I know, but im just wondering as I hope it doesn't come down to this for me.

Tough question to answer.

What if someone literally gets 5% in every Java exam for 2 years and is literally the worst programmer ever with no interest in passing but just passes everything else?

i wouldnt expect a student like that to get a Degree in Software so dont be surprised if you get bad news in that situation.

However someone who gets 30% in some less than relevant subject like communications or whatever might get some really easy gimmick project worth 50% thats impossible to fail just to be pushed through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

callaway92 wrote: »
    Your course leader would be the person to contact about that Djemba Djemba.

I'd speak to them before you attempt it again just to make sure. They won't want people falling out of the course because of 1 module, especially if it's one that has a history of students struggling in it.

First and foremost though, concentrate on passing it so you won't even have to worry about all of this ;)
    Oh dont worry, ive put in a lot of work to try and pass this. Have just done the exam and it went better than I expected but still not sure if its enough to pass, but hopefully this is all irrelevant come results day. I do think I did much better than the last repeat of the module I did and I didnt even fail it by that much that time. It wasnt like a 10% result, I think I got near 30% or something.

I did notice about 6 or so other students from my year also repeating the exam, so they must also be struggling with it.
    Tough question to answer.

What if someone literally gets 5% in every Java exam for 2 years and is literally the worst programmer ever with no interest in passing but just passes everything else?

i wouldnt expect a student like that to get a Degree in Software so dont be surprised if you get bad news in that situation.

However someone who gets 30% in some less than relevant subject like communications or whatever might get some really easy gimmick project worth 50% thats impossible to fail just to be pushed through.
    Well, I suppose I should have stated that the module is only carried out in first year and not followed on the years after so hopefully that would be of benefit if push comes to shove and they could come up with something. I'm pretty sure its not a core module is what im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

There is a rule in place that you can only sit the same exam 4 times. After that you must apply to the Registrars Office (essentially for permission to keep sitting it).

Unless you have a bad disciplinary record or are failing something ridiculous like 10 modules per year you are 99.9% certain to be granted further sittings.

In simple terms, as long as you aren't acting the goat you will be fine...but try pass the module ASAP as you don't want extra exams hanging over you in your final year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Do you have to keep paying 150 quid each time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bush wrote: »
    Do you have to keep paying 150 quid each time?

Yup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

hey guys, do any of you know when can you register for your continuing year if you had repeats and have passed them so can progress into my next year. Is it after the results are out today? The reason is that I currently cant register on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

hey guys, do any of you know when can you register for your continuing year if you had repeats and have passed them so can progress into my next year. Is it after the results are out today? The reason is that I currently cant register on the website

Few people in my course that got their results today were able to register immediately.

Advertisement