Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Change Motherboard on Windows 8.1 Laptop

Options
  • 05-05-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I have to change the motherboard on a toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1. My question is if i change for exact same motherboard will windows 8.1 reactivate or have i lost the onboard licence key from broken board. The board i am buying is on ebay and the seller does not know if it has a win8 key.

If it doesnt how can i reactivate windows 8.1?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jaymzc30 wrote: »
    Hi I have to change the motherboard on a toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1. My question is if i change for exact same motherboard will windows 8.1 reactivate or have i lost the onboard licence key from broken board. The board i am buying is on ebay and the seller does not know if it has a win8 key.

If it doesnt how can i reactivate windows 8.1?

thanks

I'm not sure about 8.1 but I remember with Xp that if hardware changes detected weren't major then the OS would see it as same machine. At the time I did have to reactivate but it was easily done over the phone. I assume you have key from current 8.1 install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭5star02707

your OS will be backed up in the hard drive anyway but for license key purposes i would say before changing the motherboard download the software

Magic jelly bean finder and it will provide you your windows license key. Alternatively download "Belarc" and run it to find your windows license key.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jaymzc30

Hi My problem is the motherboard is toast the chipset is gone. I cant get the licence key from it. Windows 8 came already activated on the laptop when it was bought.

If i drop in another motherboard i think windows 8 will boot but ill have lost its licence key.. the seller of the replacement board does not know if it has a windows 8 key onboard is there another way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭5star02707

ok, now i don't know if you can still get it. could u try booting up the hard drive if it still works? (the oem copy of windows should still be there ) and try to use the above software to retrieve it. if all else fail

this guy is selling legit windows 8.1 keys. people recommended him

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/34yp8t/h_all_keys_windows_7881_office_20131011_mac_visio/

Advertisement