Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which house alarm to go for?

• 29-04-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm midlands based, with a house which was wired for an alarm when built (9 yrs ago) but never fitted with an alarm. I'm a novice to this but wondering which type of alarm I can fit - I want security as I live on my own. I have 3 doors (patio, front and back) and 12 windows. What are my options regarding monitoring, text alert, etc and approximate costs. Can anyone recommend alarms that have worked well for them? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For a wired alarm Siemens or Risco would be ideal. They would give you free apps and free notifications via IP. This eliminates the ongoing costs associated with texts and sim cards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prettypink21

Thank you Koolkid, where would you recommend to go to purchase these - direct or through hardware, electrician etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are looking for it installed you can not use an electrician, you must use a PSA licenced installer. Check the register of licenced installers in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prettypink21

Thank you!

Not a problem. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

That is not correct, you can use an electrician once he is certified to install alarm systems.
    Have a look here on the PSA register for local installers.

altor wrote: »
    That is not correct, you can use an electrician once he is certified to install alarm systems.
    Wouldn't he be a PSA licenced installer then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

KoolKid wrote: »
    Wouldn't he be a PSA licenced installer then? :confused:
    KoolKid wrote: »
    If you are looking for it installed you can not use an electrician

:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have a look here on the PSA register for local installers.
    :confused:

Take 24 hours off the forum, your picking holes on a technicality. Obviously an electrician who is PSA certified can do it, but it would be a case of PSA first, electrician second. I'm not having this messing starting again.

Advertisement