Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mince meat with 20% fat?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

The best meat's in the rump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Why are people under the assumption that meat from a butcher is miraculously of a better quality than that of a supermarket? Wanna buy a bridge?

"No but butchers are independent, that somehow means they don't buy the cheapest muck they can possibly get their hands on."

**** off outta that.

Jesus Christ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ciano1 wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong :(

It's actually lovely!! Not too bad of a dinner to be eating on a diet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

20% also packaging ?

And don't forget the 20% margin for error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

strobe wrote: »
    Why are people under the assumption that meat from a butcher is miraculously of a better quality than that of a supermarket? Wanna buy a bridge?

"No but butchers are independent, that somehow means they don't buy the cheapest muck they can possibly get their hands on."

**** off outta that.

Jesus Christ....
    It's typically cheaper in a butchers.

Also, go buy a chicken breast fillet from a butchers, and another from a Tesco. Try to get them the exact same size raw, and after being in the oven... tell me which has shrunk more. Also, try to squeeze the moisture out of both and tell me which one has (typically significantly more) water in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, it means 800g isn't fat.

Note that not all off that will be meat, as there will also be grizzle etc. in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

**** off outta that.

Jesus Christ....

Because a butcher will make the mince in front of you, you get to pick the cut of meat, check the quality and get it minced.

The rest is up to you, pick a good butcher, inspect the meat to see that it is fresh. Some great, some not so much. I imagine that butchers that sell cheap muck don't last too long given they have to compete with supermarkets. Supermarkets sell on the basis of convenience and mass marketing, an independent butcher can only really compete on price & quality. I can't imagine price alone cuts the mustard so surely quality must be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zx complex

I recently tried the Tesco Organic mince, expensive but tastes 10 times better than the cheaper 20% fat crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I suppose it all depends on personal taste, I love a bit of fat on my meat. A pork chop or steak with a big fatty rind on is my idea of heaven. I like mince soup - my own recipe - fried mince chucked in a bowl of gravy, dash of red wine and a hunk of crusty loaf to dip in it. Ohh I'm soooo hungry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

**** off outta that.

Jesus Christ....
    It depends what butcher you go to. Most of the local butchers around here still have their own abbatoir and storage so they buy the right animal(angus/hereford) at the correct fat cover/weight and kill and hang them for the correct length of time and sell it properly processed.

Other butchers/most supermarkets buy to a certain specification/price and sell on price only.

If you buy on price, you get what you pay for. Find a proper butcher and you actually can taste the difference between what he sells and what a supermarket sells.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The same for whole milk. Typically it's 3.5% fat by volume, but in terms of calories it's also got a very high fat content, a lot more than 3.5% :)
    Aye but skimmed/low fat milk has higher sugars/lactose and I know which I'd rather have. Fat doesn't make you fat. That's mostly a nonsense, unless you're shoveling lard into you by the bucket. Sugar however is the real baddie. People on high animal fat diets are on average healthier than those on high sugar diets.

Calories are also a nonsense. How do they measure calories? By sticking the item into a glorified oven and burning it and measuring the heat/energy given off. However this does not equate to a bioavailable "calorie". Take the usual one "alcohol is very high in calories". Well yes as it's inflammable. You can set light to brandy and it goes up like methylated spirits(which it kinda is). This does not mean that the alcohol in a neat vodka is in any shape or form bioavailable to the human body and will "turn into fat"*. It's the sugars in alcoholic drinks that are absorbed and could fatten you up. More like the chinner dinner after the feed of beer.. Coal burns and burns very well and has a high calorific content. Does this mean you'd put on weight if you added ground up coal to your food? Nope.

TL;DR? So called calories in food are not created equal. Not by a long shot.

*alcohol does cause insulin changes which may lead to issues, but that's an entirely different mechanism.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye but skimmed/low fat milk has higher sugars/lactose and I know which I'd rather have. Fat doesn't make you fat. That's mostly a nonsense, unless you're shoveling lard into you by the bucket. Sugar however is the real baddie. People on high animal fat diets are on average healthier than those on high sugar diets.

Calories are also a nonsense. How do they measure calories? By sticking the item into a glorified oven and burning it and measuring the heat/energy given off. However this does not equate to a bioavailable "calorie". Take the usual one "alcohol is very high in calories". Well yes as it's inflammable. You can set light to brandy and it goes up like methylated spirits(which it kinda is). This does not mean that the alcohol in a neat vodka is in any shape or form bioavailable to the human body and will "turn into fat"*. It's the sugars in alcoholic drinks that are absorbed and could fatten you up. More like the chinner dinner after the feed of beer.. Coal burns and burns very well and has a high calorific content. Does this mean you'd put on weight if you added ground up coal to your food? Nope.

TL;DR? So called calories in food are not created equal. Not by a long shot.

*alcohol does cause insulin changes which may lead to issues, but that's an entirely different mechanism.

Surely butter is fattening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Dont waste money on organic whatever you do. Scam.

Put an organic sticker on non organic meat, sell it to someone who buys organic for 20% more than non organic stuff and they wont know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Surely butter is fattening?

Everything if fattening if you eat enough of it. Eat a truckload of broccoli every day and you will get fat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's that old German joke

The English make the best bread in the world.

Ya, but why do they call it sausage ?

• Aidric wrote: »
    Don't buy mince meat from a supermarket.

The meat in supervalue is excellent and they have some brilliant offers. 1kg of steak mince yesterday for 6 euro for instance.

All this "watch the butcher mince your meat" who in reality actually does that? Nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

• Registered Users Posts: 40,755 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

michellie wrote: »
    I buy the less than 5% mince, had it tonight when I made a low fat taco chip :)
    What's the more than 95%

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In our local butchers you can choose your meat and he'll mince it in a few seconds while you wait.
    He also slaughters his own animals which are bought from local farmers.

Traceability is there if you look for it and pay a little extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tastes lovely though, all the flavor is in the fat.

Lean mince is far far nicer than the awful fatty stuff with that whiteish colour. The redder and leaner the better when it comes to mince, it's such an underrated meat product and it's worth paying a bit more for the better quality stuff.

By the way, you're right that fat provides a lot of the flavour, but cheap low-grade mince will have too much fat not to mention whatever other crap has gone in there. Ideally you want mince that is basically a piece of round steak (fat and all) put in the mincer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fat doesn't make you fat. That's mostly a nonsense, unless you're shoveling lard into you by the bucket.
    There goes my Saturday night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

Fat is part of the god damned food, just friggin eat it.

Christ you nut jobs and your low fat foods.

Advertisement