Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clutch/Flywheel Question

Options
  • 22-03-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just wondering does anybody know if it is standard practice to machine the flywheel when replacing a clutch? Or perhaps it's just good practice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's kinda over-kill!

It shouldn't be necessary if the flywheel isn't scored or damaged - a light run over with emery paper to take the shine off it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

Just had my clutch replaced recently. Since then, there's a lot of vibration when it engages in first gear. It's not too bad if i rev the engine more, but its not right. Also reversing is a nightmare. I usually wouldn't need to accelerate at all, just use the clutch, but it vibrates really bad in reverse. So parking is a pain.

From what i read online, it indicates a warped flywheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Or it could be a contaminated clutch, vibration can often be caused by oil on the friction surfaces, water can do it too if you drive through a flood.or maybe the mechanic didnt tighten up everything correctly?

So whats the best thing to do? Just bring it back to them and tell them its not right? They'll probably hit with a bill for 5 hours labour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could also be engine mounting not bolted up properly allowing the engine/box to rock. Whatever it is it shouldn't be doing it after a clutch change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Its most likely that the clutch wasn't centered when it was fitted - if this is the case then its the responsibility of the fitter to rectify it free of charge.

Yea I'll drop into them next week and see what they say. There's a 6 month/6000 mile warranty.
    The clutch should be working properly after a clutch replacement! So it's really up to them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Its as simple as this, if it wasnt juddering before you left it in to them to change the clutch, its something they did and therefore their fault.

Advertisement