Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haters gonna hate...

• 07-01-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine posted a link on Facebook to an article depicting a black man brushing a little girls hair while a baby is sitting in a sling across his chest. I clicked on the link to read the article, fully expecting to read a report about one thing but actually it was about a completely different thing.

To say that I am surprised that it is actually about the other thing completely surprised me. Is every western country the same? Would people in Ireland hold the same opinion? Perhaps elderly people in remote villages in *insert some county here* i.e. Leitrim. But the rest of us? Would we really care...

Ive added a poll to gauge how many people thought the same as me and how many thought it was something completely different.

Happy Tuesday everyone

What did you think this article would be about? 22 votes

Stay-at-home Dads
    0% 0 votes
    Mixed race marriages
    86% 19 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    13% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Pic or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

The author lacks the ability to structure a story. It also seems to me that they were paid per word used.

Its bollox.

Simposons "Equalia" episode OP. Watch that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doubt many dads could do a ponytail.Otherwise facebook rubbish.

Fair few assumptions of your own there op.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Well, this thread died a death... I'm off back to bed... I'll ill restart the day in a couple of hours...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there are idiots on the internet?

jesus, seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm more bemused by mdw ddw1 ddw2 gliuhihgwlihln random letters in the article

Wasn't there a cheerios ad or some other ad with a family that got similar reactions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Potatoes gonna potate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I don't really see why people would make a fuss over it. Children are often a different colour shade to their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"I have a dream"
    I remember those words well.

ABBA rocks!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm more bemused by mdw ddw1 ddw2 gliuhihgwlihln random letters in the article

Wasn't there a cheerios ad or some other ad with a family that got similar reactions

Well, in fairness, I did find it difficult to read the article, I just scanned down and read the comments...

So, in fairness, it still could be about stay at home dads... I wouldnt know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

kneemos wrote: »
    Doubt many dads could do a ponytail.

Whoaa!!!
    WT actual F man.

I know this wasn't what the thread is meant to be about (I think, I couldn't be arsed reading the article) but that's a bit of a bold statement.

stmol32 wrote: »
    Whoaa!!!
    WT actual F man.

I know this wasn't what the thread is meant to be about (I think, I couldn't be arsed reading the article) but that's a bit of a bold statement.

Interesting!

Social experiment required... all dads out there, accost the nearest person with long hair and try do a pony tail... must be of primary school principals standards (otherwise your "child" will get detention for not maintaining the schools dress code)... then report back...

could ya do it?

Ponytails aren't exactly rocket science, even if you never did one before you'd have to be seriously deficient not to figure out the procedure in ten seconds or less. I'd have a higher opinion of men generally.

It's really depressing on a few levels - that a guy brushing his kids hair is in any way remarkable, that the kids skin colour is in any way remarkable, the nastily specific inference that black fathers who are involved with their kids are outliers, and the unremarkable but still depressing presence of racist morons on the internet.

I feel for this guy insofar as so many people seem to view the photo through the color lens, instead of just seeing a dad with his kids. That's got to get to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have a dream......that someday,people will just get on with their day to day living,without feeling the need to post every little detail on Facebook /Twitter etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Candie wrote: »
    Ponytails aren't exactly rocket science, even if you never did one before you'd have to be seriously deficient not to figure out the procedure in ten seconds or less. I'd have a higher opinion of men generally.

It's really depressing on a few levels - that a guy brushing his kids hair is in any way remarkable, that the kids skin colour is in any way remarkable, the nastily specific inference that black fathers who are involved with their kids are outliers, and the unremarkable but still depressing presence of racist morons on the internet.

I feel for this guy insofar as so many people seem to view the photo through the color lens, instead of just seeing a dad with his kids. That's got to get to him and his family.

While I agree with ideals behind this post, in relation to the inter-racial issue that perception may not simply be due to blind racism.

This is probably not a particularly popular thing to point out but.

The USA has a very high divorce rate compared to here, within the general population something like 40-50%.
    A Black male - White female marriage is 60% more likely to end in divorce than a same race marriage.

The natural retort to this is that this is due to external social pressures due to race and possible differences in background between the two partners.
    However these pressures would also presumably act upon White Male - Black Female marriages to an equal extent and would be similarly reflected in a higher divorce rate, this is not the case at all though with these unions having a divorce rate 44% less than the standard.

An alternative explanation would be that socio-economic pressures cause the higher rate of White Female - Black Male divorce in that (though its changing and hopefully will change more) the man is the default breadwinner, thus the disadvantaged position of African Americans in the USA would have a bigger impact on this type of inter race marriage than White M - Black F.

However similar pressures would presumably also act upon Hispanic White/White unions due to the similarly disadvantaged socio-economic position hispanics hold in the USA, this is not reflected in divorce statistics however.

So while it may be a negative assumption that a Black father may not be involved in his mixed race kids lives, its not one that can be dismissed as simply as backwards racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Pic isn't a big deal.

*moves on to next thing to be done today*

That was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If anyone can bother their hole reading past the first paragraph, pm me your address so I can send a medal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Any man that can do a ponytail ain't having kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

kneemos wrote: »
    Any man that can do a ponytail ain't having kids.

Why not?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why not?

Cos he is too busy running his Hair Dressing Empire al a Vidal Sassoon???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Cos he is too busy running his Hair Dressing Empire al a Vidal Sassoon???

Ooh you're sooo 90's dear :p

Ah no, plenty of men can do sailors knots (or hair braids, if you must :p), I'll be honest, I didn't bother reading the article past the first line. This whole thing of ordinary ****e going viral does my tits in tbh.

Advertisement