Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arts NUIG subjects

Options
  • 01-09-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I'm starting Arts in NUIG soon and I'm a bit confused about subjects. :confused:

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking History and was thinking maybe English as well although I'm extremely intimidated by it! I got a B1 in honours for the LC but I'm terrified it's going to be really difficult! :(

I like the idea of Philosophy and Celtic civilisation and I think they might compliment history too but really I have no idea what they will actually be like! Same goes for psychology, it sounds very interesting but I don't really know anything about it!

If anyone can shed any light it will be much appreciated. Thank you :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

There will be introductory lectures for each module all next week. Head along to those to get a taste of what will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lepus

Tarjh wrote: »
    There will be introductory lectures for each module all next week. Head along to those to get a taste of what will be covered.

Is that next week as in tomorrow? Or from the 9th onwards? That's probably a silly question but I haven't received any information from the college yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Don't do English..A1 in the leaving but I hated it in Arts,
    History is good, Do IT if you have ant interest in it, and you should do a language too!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

Lepus wrote: »
    Is that next week as in tomorrow? Or from the 9th onwards? That's probably a silly question but I haven't received any information from the college yet.

First year Arts starts on the 9th.

Tsipras wrote: »
    Don't do English..A1 in the leaving but I hated it in Arts,
    History is good, Do IT if you have ant interest in it, and you should do a language too!

Just because you didn't like a subject does not mean someone else shouldn't do it. As I said above, go to intro lectures to see if a subject appeals to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

History and Philosophy are both fairly good and accessible in first year, in my experience, did them in 1st year four years ago now and was impressed enough to keep them on in second and third year. Everything is quite regimented in 1st year, but that's the same in every subject at the start I suppose. Niall Ó Ciosáin on the 1798 Rising in 1st year history was interesting back in the day. I did English as well and didn't keep it on, though any course which teaches Allen Ginsberg can't be all bad and it seems a popular choice in terms of people keeping it on. If you got a B1 in Honours you absolutely shouldn't be intimidated by it at 3rd level, so don't worry! As long as you put in the work, Arts in 1st year is fairly straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I am currently in second year Arts and am doing English and Soc and Pol. Last year I chose to do psychology and classics along side these two. I honestly loved all those subjects and found they complimented each other well. I wasn't the best at English in school but I certainly wasn't the worst either. However, I was determined to do well this year and I can guarantee you that if you attend most of your lectures and tutorials you are almost guaranteed to do well.
    I got a first overall in English and Soc and pol for the year and I was beyond delighted. I am positive my success was mostly down to attending the lectures and listening attentively for the 50 mins. You did very well in English for the leaving so I doubt you will have any problem with it. There are some nice novels in semester one. Semester 2 is a bit more difficult but if you keep on top of the work you will be fine.
    As for other subjects, I found Psychology quite challenging, and if you are not interested in doing it in 2nd year I wouldn't bother picking it, it can be quite demanding at times.

All the best x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Philosophy is quite interesting to do for first year and given that it's a subject that lends itself to bullsh*t it's easy enough to pass if you have an imagination.

Advertisement