Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Donegal 1-07 v Cork 0-06
    Terrible game of football today. Really poor performance by Cork. Typical slow passing coming out of defence, totally predictable. Toothless forward display also - more wides than scores, over 30mins without a score!
    Donegal played like Donegal play, enough said.
    Ref - Paddy O' Sullivan was fairly brutal. On at least 3 occasions in the second half alone a Cork player was Balatantly fouled, but he waved play on -shocking.

All in all a bad day at the office for Cork. Hopefully the long trip home might give the management team enough time to realise that they have to change their tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A disappointing day for Cork footballers and not helped either by a poor ref. A lot of work to be done with the panel yet before the championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ref was from Kerry! just putting it out there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

corcaigh07 wrote: »

A poor ref is a poor ref, doesn't matter where the Kerry man is from;)

2 away games next weekend,Laois in the football and Dublin in the hurling. I would be looking at the footballers getting back on track with a win against Laois while in the hurling it'll be interesting to see how they play against a Dublin team after an impressive opening win against Waterford. The Hurling game is on TG4 next Sunday,not sure about the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Could they not have got a ref from some other county other than Kerry? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Here's the team to play Laois:

K O'Halloran; R Carey, E O'Mahony, E Cotter; N O'Leary, G Canty, P Kissane; A O'Connor, F Goold; P Kerrigan, M Collins, P Kelly; C O'Neill, D O'Connor, B O'Driscoll

Seems strange to see Fintan Goold retained at midfield ahead of Aidan Walsh.

Was Goold any good vs Donegal?

I suppose the logic is to give him as many games as possible, Walsh will be a starter in the summer.
    I hope they put in a good shift against Laois as a win would take the pressure off before the double header down the park in a few weeks ( both live on TG4 apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looked into it a bit more and turned out Walsh was due to be rested for that game but ended up being forced to play his third game in three days when Alan O’Connor picked up a late injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ...the double header down the park in a few weeks ( both live on TG4 apparently)...

I cant wait for that. It'll make a great day out since i'm working paddys day.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Collins is out btw.

The Cork-Laois game is over by half time. Rebels 2-11 Laois 0-5

Good to see a few goals again.

Just saw that, well on top. A good win is badly needed I think as a loss would have lead to us really needing to beat Kerry next week. A few more goals would be nice to see.

I don't think a loss was ever on the cards but a powerful display was certainly needed and they're giving it. Should see a few more goals if they keep the same tempo up (based on RTE update stream - I've no setanta :()

Edit : Just saw Pearse O' Neill gone for a second yellow.

Laois 0-10 v 2-14 Cork

Pity about another red for Cork but a good win nonetheless.
    Colm O'Neill with 2-03 from play was Man of the Match - delighted for him.

Great tally for Colm O Neill. Didn't see the game as i said but 3 scores in the second half? Were they poor or just shut up shop when pearse o neill went off? Or did they just relax, game won?

Listened to the game on C103 and by the sounds of it Cork took the foot off the pedal in the 2nd half and played more defensively after Pearse O'Neil's sending off. A welcome win after last Sunday's defeat to Donegal.

A good win for the Cork hurlers today against Dublin 2-18 to 2-17 in an entertaining game. Listened to the 1st half on radio and watched the 2nd half on TG4.

While 2-18 is a good score from the team a worry would be the amount of wides amassed in the 1st half. The Dubs had them under pressure in the 2nd half but Cork weathered the storm and a controversial late free won the game for Cork in the end. Dublin though will rue a missed free at the end which was very scoreable to draw the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TBH I thought Cork deserved the win..

Not much between them, but Rebels edged it overall.

Very enjoyable game of hurling and Cork just about deserved the win. Alot of wides but 2-18 is a fine score nonetheless. It was nice to see Cork vary their game, some short hand passing and driving it long aswell. There is a nice mix of hurlers there now. Plenty of vibrancy from the new boys has certainly shaken the older and more experienced fellas a bit I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ye're going really well, forwards are really potent.

Ye're backline is pretty good too, think Ross Cashman needs a bit of work, Egan would be my choice at centre back for ye. Dublin hit a lot of wides in the first half too, they had 7 after 16 minutes. But I did think ye deserved the win in a very entertaining game.

Ye're midfield would the one real area of concern. No matter what JBM thinks I thought Sean óg was poor. Daniel Sutcliffe scored 4 points off him, not good enough from a midfielder. Sweetnam was good when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Ye're midfield would the one real area of concern. No matter what JBM thinks I thought Sean óg was poor. Daniel Sutcliffe scored 4 points off him, not good enough from a midfielder. Sweetnam was good when he came on.

Have to agree with you there Mountainlad about Sean Og. I think come championship he will be used more as an impact sub I reckon. I could be wrong though. I dont think he has 70 mins in him at this stage of his career, but would be great to bring on as an impact sub for sure.

I thought Gardiner was away off the pace as well from the highlights I saw on the Sunday Game. He was out at sea in two or three clips they showed of his opponent scoring points.

However, I think JBM has definitely put Cork back playing nice hurling again that was missing the last few seasons.

Next Sunday March 18th there's a league double header in Pairc Ui Chaoimh with Cork v Galway in hurling at 12 45pm and Cork v Kerry in football at 2 30pm. Admission Adults 13 euros,Students/OAP's 5 euros with free admission to under 16's,a great day out at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Sad news about Ben O'Connor retiring from inter-county hurling.He has been a fantastic servant to Cork Hurling and was the All-Ireland winning captain in 2004! A great player!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

Best wishes to Ben in his retirement. An absolutely top top hurler over the last 13 years. Brilliant to watch. Thanks for the memories.

I remember seeing the twins play for the first time when they were about 19 - an u21 county qf I think- and remember thinking they should go all the way. It had to happen eventually I suppose. Lovely hurler. Leaves alot of happy memories behind for us supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As good as hurler in last 10 years as anyone else up there.

Will be missed, but these days eventually come at some stage.

He owes us Cork Supporters nothing.

As good as hurler in last 10 years as anyone else up there.

Will be missed, but these days eventually come at some stage.

He owes us Cork Supporters nothing.
    Lovely hurler one of the finest players to play the game. Super fast too and nice first touch. He will be missed.

• Advertisement

Ben O'Connor a Cork hurling legend,happy county retirement Ben.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement