Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Consider this a good bug out hole up?

• 09-03-2014 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Driving along the m50 the other day, noticed the water tower at the finglas exit has a building which i imagine is a plant room and testing area, its almost like a bunker, steel doors X 2 on the front, clear area for about 20 metres at front, dug into the ground behind.

So you got most likely access to water from the tower, shelter, infrastructure and a downhill slope at the back. steel doors and probably a generator on site.

Close enough that you can see aircraft going to/from the airport and only 10 mins from it.

What ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Driving along the m50 the other day, noticed the water tower at the finglas exit has a building which i imagine is a plant room and testing area, its almost like a bunker, steel doors X 2 on the front, clear area for about 20 metres at front, dug into the ground behind.

So you got most likely access to water from the tower, shelter, infrastructure and a downhill slope at the back. steel doors and probably a generator on site.

Close enough that you can see aircraft going to/from the airport and only 10 mins from it.

What ye think?

Ok, Ya found it on the Map- Are you well Armed, How big is your group- Do you have food- Friendly question no other reasons lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

No firepower, hunting knife in the bug out bag along with about 2 - 3 days worth of food and water, matches etc.

The plan would be to try get out around the rolestown area in a vehicle(preferably a jeep), look for farms where people may have been over run, pick up a shotty, possiblly a .22 rifle scoped.

Talking about me, the missus and kid if they make it and whomever else i think i might be able to trust up to about 5 - 6 people.

I'd imagine you would get a first aid kit in the bunker aswell.

Would also try to get in towards town at some stage, pick up one of those civil defence ploughs and jeep with a snorkel!

Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

A few flaws in your plan

1 you are probably not going to be the only one who will go to the water tower so you will have to fight it out with other survivers
    2 you are bringing a knife to what will be a gunfight
    3 Water towers are short term resevoirs.They are not pump stations so when the power goes out the tower will loose supply and will empty out pretty quick unless you shut down the valves,but then you run the risk of a stagnant supply of water.Water towers in general dont have back up generators and if this one does how do you keep it supplied with diesel
    4 How do you gain entry trough the steel doors with out damageing the structural integrity of the doors

1 you are probably not going to be the only one who will go to the water tower so you will have to fight it out with other survivers - possibly not so. its within 5 minutes of my resident location so i could be first on the scene, rig inside with a few knives incase it gets sticky, have some form of curtain ready to trip should unwanted guests come in, diesel over the doors in damp proof bags, the door opens and the diesel pours onto the intruder or close enough that they will get spooked when they see a naked flame!
    2 you are bringing a knife to what will be a gunfight-honestly dont think guns are in enough supply to have to worry about this until well into the outbreak when the weak die off and people who are left are armed.
    3 Water towers are short term resevoirs.They are not pump stations so when the power goes out the tower will loose supply and will empty out pretty quick unless you shut down the valves,but then you run the risk of a stagnant supply of water.Water towers in general dont have back up generators and if this one does how do you keep it supplied with diesel-The genie is only to be used when needed, w, like for water flow, maybe some light purification, keep the water flowing every so often. Any emergency generator would probably have enough diesel to run for 4 - 7 days so run it periodically, you would get a few weeks out of it and then some.
    4 How do you gain entry trough the steel doors with out damageing the structural integrity of the doorsThis is the hardest part, but i would imagine the council never really have a problem with peolpe trying to break into the bunker due to its relative isolation. few pad locks on the door, slide a pole in to the lock U, give it some hard twists and your in. The beauty of doors like this is that on the inside, the locking mechanism is essentailly like a submarines hatch, it locks into place on the top and bottom and should be easily secured from the inside.

I still dont think its the best spot to set up shop.Guns aint as rare as you might think,The generator wont help you with the water supply,the water in the tower is pumped to the tower from another location so when the power goes out there wont be an incomming water supply.The last assumption however is the one that will get you killed council facilitys like that are a prime target for crime and antisocial behaviour because of their isolation so they are usually shut down pretty tight.I think also that any flights operating in Dublin will be to Baldonnel and not Dublin airport

I would get as far away from Dublin as I could possibly head for the Wicklow mountains because its pretty isolated may look a shipping container and set up a defensive base there and raid outward for supplies.Keep within running distance of a stream or lake for water and a wood for fuel

• Advertisement

Now let me play devils advocate with you.

Where would the shipping container come from or be moved around?

Running water will attract all sorts of trouble, anything decomposing upstream from your location is gonna get you very sick. You would need to trek all the way to source to minimize this.

A fire in the wicklow mountains would light you up like a Christmas tree.

The higher you go above sea level, the worse the element, your real feel in the mountains will be like zero degrees.

Plus, your definitely not gonna be alone in the wicklow mountains or the docks if you go for a shipping container

In an ideal scenario I wouldnt head for the Wicklow mountains, but its probably as far you could get with limited supplies from Dublin when all hell breaks loose. To answer your questions there are lots of shipping containers scattered around the place being used as sheds they are not ideal but they would be difficult to break into,the water would have to be purified regardless so filtering, boiling,and purification tabs should sort that.The fire wont be and issue it wont be plain to see during the day and if its properly sheltered it wont be seen at night and from what I understand of zombies they arent photosensitive they tend to use their hearing to suss out prey.I agree you wouldnt be alone but Ireland is a small place you are never far from other people, but the there would be alot less people in the Wm than in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would not want to be anywhere near Dublin if there was a major outbreak. An infected population that size would lead to one hell of a blotting effect as it started to spread put.

Even if you were lucky enough to get into the compound by the water tower and somehow got lucky again and did not run into problems of a human nature. Then you are still relying on the area not becoming thick with zeds within a few days, which would make scavaging runs or plans to bug out nigh on impossible.

Getting away from high population areas is a must unless you have some kind of secure (both from the living and the undead) bunker with years worth of water, food, various supplies, and also the means to defend you and yours.

ok maybe its better as a back up bug out area.

But i dont think it should be ruled out totally.

I wonder is it possible to get atop the tower aswell, it would be an excellent lookout zone.

Realistically, you need to get into a building, the wilderness wont do it.

Another plus with the tower would be the comms that you would definitely get inside.

fair enough, computers would be defunct but with the generator in the bunker, you would defo get onto the emergency broadcast channels.

your also talking about industrial 415 volt plugs with the genertaor, as long as the grid stays on you can keep you electric car going indefinitely. Understandably, the grid is one of the first things to go down but its also one of the first things which will be brought back on if the centre for disease control or government are still in semi-control

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the water tower would have it's merits. I couldn't find it on Google maps, it was really slow loading for some reason, can you post a link?

The biggest danger with any secure facility is that you'll get trapped in it, you can climb a ladder into the water tower, there wouldn't be much room in there and if zombies start to congregate at the bottom of the ladder you're going to starve to death. It may well be protected by the government if it's supplying water to Dublin which could make it difficult to get into.

With a large facility it's also going to need many people to protect it, a handful of people won't be able to control the perimeter.

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Water towers in general dont have back up generators and if this one does how do you keep it supplied with diesel
    The tower itself is using gravity to dispense water but I'd be very surprised if the facility didn't have some sort of generator backup. Any faults in the power could reset the system controlling the water flow. Most commercial premises have some sort of power backup system even if it's just enough to allow for the systems to be shut down properly.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Would not want to be anywhere near Dublin if there was a major outbreak. An infected population that size would lead to one hell of a blotting effect as it started to spread put.
    It would be bad enough being in Dublin but probably worse to be in the flow of people out of the city. I don't think half a million refugees will get a warm welcome in any towns they move through during their escape, especially when a proportion of them will be infected. I think the best bet in a city would be to find somewhere to hold up while you wait for the chaos to die down. The problem you're left with then is coming late to the party and dealing with the aftermath of whatever happened between the fleeing Dubs and the country folk they ran into. Dubs might be despised and hunted after a month.

• Advertisement

tried to get it on google earth but the bunker isnt included in the photo, its a photo from when the motorway was under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ScumLord wrote: »
    It would be bad enough being in Dublin but probably worse to be in the flow of people out of the city. I don't think half a million refugees will get a warm welcome in any towns they move through during their escape, especially when a proportion of them will be infected. I think the best bet in a city would be to find somewhere to hold up while you wait for the chaos to die down. The problem you're left with then is coming late to the party and dealing with the aftermath of whatever happened between the fleeing Dubs and the country folk they ran into. Dubs might be despised and hunted after a month.

To get to that proposed bug out location, a person would have to get into the flow of people trying to escape the city. Plus it is at the side of the M50 which would be jammers if there was a mass evacuation of Dublin. Cars would most likely be backed up, and would imagine there would be outbreaks amongst the gridlock further increasing the zed numbers in that area.

If a person only had whatever provisions they could carry with them when they got to that tower, then all I could see happening (again assuming they do not come up against two legged problems) is him putting himself in a location that will see him slowly starve to death. The M50 is exactly the kind of road system that I could see becoming gridlocked, and as such become an area that had a large zed populaton early on thanks to it being linked to the biggest population centre in the country. No way in hell would I want to be trying to set up beside that road early on. If he made it that far out of Dublin in one piece, then he should keep going, Use a rail line or similar to keep going from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

few pad locks on the door, slide a pole in to the lock U, give it some hard twists and your in. The beauty of doors like this is that on the inside, the locking mechanism is essentailly like a submarines hatch, it locks into place on the top and bottom and should be easily secured from the inside.[/B]

If I wanted you to open up and share the shelter with me - or if we were enemies for some reason , I would just put a strong padlock on the outside of the door to replace the one you broke . Open up or else be trapped in there until you starve or go batsheet crazy , lol . How would you deal with that ? You can lock people out but did you ever think they can also lock you in ? I would prefer a different sort of defensive position, one with alternative or possibly secret exit routes.

If I wanted you to open up and share the shelter with me - or if we were enemies for some reason , I would just put a strong padlock on the outside of the door to replace the one you broke . Open up or else be trapped in there until you starve or go batsheet crazy , lol . How would you deal with that ? You can lock people out but did you ever think they can also lock you in ? I would prefer a different sort of defensive position, one with alternative or possibly secret exit routes.

to be honest with you, its my c plan, my A plan is pretty solid and my B plan is get out of the capital.

Now my A plan has flaws because my bug out bag is in bits, its basically a ruck sack with nothing in it now.

being locked in would be half the idea by the way, spending months inside trying to get OUT would be the easy part.

Off topic, can you buy a full kit Bug Out Bag in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

spending months inside trying to get OUT would be the easy part.

I dont think it would. You would be effectively under siege and larger castles have fallen. How long can you hold out ? How do you get out ? what tools and supplies do you need ? So many variables. sanitation issues, boredom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45 theoptimist

this thread is great guys! nice to know I'm not alone!
    you could start a thread on surviving contagious disease outbreak or state of anarchy (anyone read Dies the Fire?) ....

Advertisement