Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in Ireland ?

• 20-02-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello . My name is Yi en
    I'm a international student which going to study at Ireland .
    I have received the offer letter from WIT and DCU which is BSc in pharmaceutical science .
    I would like to ask which school is more prestigious in this course ?
    And is there anyone graduate from WIT ?
    Is the cert form IT have the same qualifications with universities ?
    Which graduate student have higher job opportunity given by companies ? Universities or ITs ?
    I need some information about this course in wit , wit school environment , living accommodation there

Thanks a lot ! (:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

DCU being a university would generally be more prestigious than an IT such as WIT. However, although DCU would be a more prestigious institution than WIT, courses in ITs tend to be more hands on than universities which generally tend to me more theoretical, so in some cases employers actually prefer graduates from IT's rather than universities as they will have hands on experience by the end of their studies. I don't know anything about the particular course you mentioned however so I do not know if this is true for that particular course.

Waterford is a small city by the coast about 2 hours from Dublin, it is small
    (probably tiny by international standards) but it has everything you need and has a lot of international students. DCU is based on the north side of Dublin, Dublin is obviously the capital of Ireland so is a lot larger than Waterford and very international, however the cost of living and accommodation will be a lot more expensive in Dublin and possibly harder to find.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It really doesn't matter where you go in Ireland. Just get the grades etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yien_y

johnnykilo wrote: »
    DCU being a university would generally be more prestigious than an IT such as WIT. However, although DCU would be a more prestigious institution than WIT, courses in ITs tend to be more hands on than universities which generally tend to me more theoretical, so in some cases employers actually prefer graduates from IT's rather than universities as they will have hands on experience by the end of their studies. I don't know anything about the particular course you mentioned however so I do not know if this is true for that particular course.

Waterford is a small city by the coast about 2 hours from Dublin, it is small
    (probably tiny by international standards) but it has everything you need and has a lot of international students. DCU is based on the north side of Dublin, Dublin is obviously the capital of Ireland so is a lot larger than Waterford and very international, however the cost of living and accommodation will be a lot more expensive in Dublin and possibly harder to find.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

THANKS ! btw , u study at WIT ?
    because i would like to ask for more information about WIT :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yien_y wrote: »
    THANKS ! btw , u study at WIT ?
    because i would like to ask for more information about WIT :D

Ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yien_y

Sully wrote: »
    Ask away!

Hi Sully !
    I have received the offer letter of WIT
    can u tell me more about this school like hostel , wifi connection , canteen , or other facilities ?

Are there many international student there ?
    im from asia country (:

Besides , do you know how much is the books fees per annum ?
    Im an international student so im abit curious about it .

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Hi Yi en,

I did indeed study at WIT but I finished about 1-2 years ago, so please note some of my answers to your questions might have changed since I was there.

There is a lot of College owned and approved accommodation, I think the general price is around €75 per week. You'll be sharing with 2-3 other students.

There are 4-5 canteens/places to eat on the main campus; a meal will cost you about €5.

The Wi-Fi connection in the college is generally not good, there are simply too many students and the network cannot cope. Please note this may well have changed since I was there. Also if you have timetabled computer classes the connection should be fine, it is just if you try to use your laptop outside of class time you may have trouble.

There are plenty of top class sports facilities
    http://www.wit.ie/current_students/sports_clubs_and_socs/facilities

and clubs and societies to join so there is always something to do:
    http://www.wit.ie/current_students/sports_clubs_and_socs/sports_clubs
    http://www.wit.ie/current_students/sports_clubs_and_socs/Societies

How much the books are really depends on what course you are doing. I did an IT related course and I didn't have to buy any books in the 5 years I spent at WIT.

There are quiet a number of Chinese students at WIT, around 300-400 I'd guess. There are of course other nationalities but I would say Chinese is the biggest foreign group.

Advertisement