Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance query

Options
  • 28-01-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys, have a question on insurance if anyone can help.

Trying to get insured in a 2 litre car. Haven't been on my own insurance since the summer of 2011. Have been a named driver on my father's insurance since April 2013. I've asked one company and got quoted 1k for the year but I'm obviously hoping to get this amount down a good bit. Rang another company but they wouldn't take me on because I didn't have one years no claim bonus to my name. Has anyone got any suggestions? Am I really looking at the 1k mark?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rooney_p

Sorry, 29.

And I was insured from 2008 to 2011 but I don't think that makes a difference now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose wrote: »
    How old are you?

Ring around a few more insurers, you might find one cheaper, and/or that'll take your named driving experience into account. The fact that it was three years ago now is not good, though. To be perfectly straight with you I'd say you're doing alright at a grand on a two-litre.

Thanks. The car has yet to be purchased/registered but if it was registered by a relative with no claims bonus/insured for years/etc, would this make any difference? As in, could I then be insured as a named driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What type of car are you trying to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

rooney_p wrote: »
    Thanks. The car has yet to be purchased/registered but if it was registered by a relative with no claims bonus/insured for years/etc, would this make any difference? As in, could I then be insured as a named driver?
    Even if you did that it'd be on the grey end of legitimate and you'd never be building up a bonus in your own name. I'd shop around every insurer and a good selection of brokers - you might find someone prepared to give you an introductory bonus in view of your expired NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

I purchased a car for my daughter and registered it in my name, with the hope of putting my daughter on as a named driver and saving a few bob. After a lot of contact with different insurance companys, I had to re-register the vehicle in her name, As soon as the insurance company learned that i wanted to insure a second car in my name and add my daughter they loaded the policy and it was cheaper for her to insure it herself in her own name. Keep it legal as an insurance company will not honour the policy if you do not disclose all revelant facts such as who the main driver will be, (your relative will be named as the main driver, which he will not be) and where the vehicle will be kept overnight. (your house not his). The one grand you were quoted is not bad, i know money is tight everywhere but be upfront with them, No point giving an insurance company 700-800euro, and a get out of liability clause. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

rooney_p wrote: »

Short term gain; no long term benefit.

€1000 for a 2L car is not bad when you dont have a NCB. Id say suck it up this year and start building your own NCB, and price will drop quick enough. Its better in the long run.

And ring around. Youre going to find it hard to get any quotes, let alone a good one, when insuring a car that big with no NCB, but persevere and you never know. Try some brokers also; they can be quite useful at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just so you know, NCB expires and in addition, any gaps in your insurance cover isn't liked by insurance companies. €1000 isn't bad all told and really the sooner you start earning in your own name, the better. 5 years named is equal to 1 year in your own. So your premium will quickly drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Northernrobm

What type off car are you looking to be insured on? make, model cc? Is the car an import? has the car had any modifications? have you had any accidents claims or driving convictions? do you have any points on your licence? what part of the country are you in? are you looking for third party fire and theft or comprehensive insurance? what is the value of the vehicle? these are all questions which has a play on premium! let us know and might be able to point you in the right direction

Advertisement