Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

time for me to say hello here as well - due the end of January (if the littler critter is on time ;-)) with our second, first one turning 2 in November. :D

Had morning sickness which is thankfully now disappearing - and being replaced with pelvic girdle pains/SPD (had this badly on our first as well). But other than that - all good, looking forward to number 2, not sure how to handle a superactive toddler and a newborn, but it'll be fine, I'm sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

galah wrote: »
    time for me to say hello here as well - due the end of January (if the littler critter is on time ;-)) with our second, first one turning 2 in November. :D

Had morning sickness which is thankfully now disappearing - and being replaced with pelvic girdle pains/SPD (had this badly on our first as well). But other than that - all good, looking forward to number 2, not sure how to handle a superactive toddler and a newborn, but it'll be fine, I'm sure :D

Welcome & Congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

So I had a doctors appointment earlier, I'm 17 weeks 3 days, and she had a LOT of trouble finding the heartbeat. She wasn't worried about it, she said you wouldn't always hear it at this stage, but I've often heard of people hearing it much earlier. Anyways she found it in the end, and she was happy that it was good and strong, so all's fine.

I only thought afterwards, they had a lot of trouble in my early scans seeing anything, because my uterus is very tilted ... I wonder if that was why it was so hard to get the heartbeat today? :confused: Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyways ... all fine for now ... only 4 weeks to the big scan!!

Tlachtga wrote: »
    So I had a doctors appointment earlier, I'm 17 weeks 3 days, and she had a LOT of trouble finding the heartbeat. She wasn't worried about it, she said you wouldn't always hear it at this stage, but I've often heard of people hearing it much earlier. Anyways she found it in the end, and she was happy that it was good and strong, so all's fine.

I only thought afterwards, they had a lot of trouble in my early scans seeing anything, because my uterus is very tilted ... I wonder if that was why it was so hard to get the heartbeat today? :confused: Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyways ... all fine for now ... only 4 weeks to the big scan!!

Hey,im actually just in the door from my doc appointment too,im 17 weeks and 6 days and before she did the heart check she warned me that she might not get a beat,due to what you said and also the equipment they have,she did get one but it took a few seconds to get it. But yeah the tilted uterus could be the reason for it,i would ask next time your with consultant.

All in all my appointment went great!

Ive my big scan the 15th-can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Merrilady I got maternity bras in M&S when I was pregnant the first time and still find them really comfortable to wear. I also found New Look reasonable for maternity clothes and they have some lovely dresses. H&M have some really nice reasonable stuff but I also found some of their clothes very ill fitting!

The main thing is don't go spending a fortune as you wear them for such a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Thanks a mill y'all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Well, got confirmation from my consultant that I will not be pregnant past the 27th December! So looks like I could be eating my Christmas dinner in hospital. Any time from the 13th December to the 27th December is good, not too early. Hopefully I won't go or need to go before that (36weeks) as I want the babies to have as long to cook as possible! lol Both myself and the consultant joked that some time around the 20th would be great so that we can both be home for our christmas dinners!

So I suppose I should be definitely in the Due December thread (which I am) but if you ladies don't mind I think I will continue to hang out here from time to time, as the developmental markers are the same for me as you ladies, I'll just be pushing my hitchikers out earlier than you all!

Eeeeew leaky boob! :eek: Woke up this morning with a big damp patch on one side, was NOT expecting this at only 18 weeks ! :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Eeeeew leaky boob! :eek: Woke up this morning with a big damp patch on one side, was NOT expecting this at only 18 weeks ! :/

Wow, that must have been quite the shock! Did you have any indication that this might be about to happen? Just so the rest of us are forewarned! :)

I'm exactly 15 weeks today and still in all my old clothes, albeit more tightly -is this normal or are ye all rocking bumps?

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Wow, that must have been quite the shock! Did you have any indication that this might be about to happen? Just so the rest of us are forewarned! :)

I'm exactly 15 weeks today and still in all my old clothes, albeit more tightly -is this normal or are ye all rocking bumps?

Nope no warning at all! It happened again a couple of nights later, nothing since. Apparently it's not that common this early on.

I'm 18 weeks, and have been told by several people today that my bump has appeared from nowhere over the weekend. I was even offered a seat by another woman on the train today ... so it must be looking pretty obvious! :o

• Advertisement

Hello lady - Hope you will stay with us, don't mind those December girls with their early arrivals :D

Tlachtga - Eeeek, Leaky boobs :eek::eek::eek::eek: that would just top it off for me :P

My day went like this - Puked mid teeth brush this morning, its also looking like coffee ( my sole enjoyment these days ) is giving me indigestion AND I walked out of my local shop without paying for my stuff this morning :eek::eek:
    ( I realised when I got to the car and dutifully went back )

Ciara Bear - I'm just over 16 weeks and my clothes are very uncomfortable. Went to Dundrum yesterday and got that sorted. Am now sitting in maternity jeans all snug as a bug in a rug :P

Bargin Alert - The Gap in Dundrum are dis-continuing their maternity range (only available on line now) they have one rail of mainly jeans in different sizes, all €9.99 .. Bought myself 2 x jeans and 2 x black trousers

I bought some bits from asos.com. Waiting for them to arrive, will let you know what they're like when I get them.

Also going to invest in those converter thingys for your trousers and a bump band to kind of cover up the fact that your trousers are basically held together with an extender! lol My problem is that most maternity stuff is for single pregnancies. So you buy your normal size and it has the extra material to accommodate your bump. But by 7/8 months they probably won't fit me either! So I think by buying the expander yokies and buying normal maternity I might be able to cobble together a few outfits for near the end. I'm only 18 weeks now and already look about 7 mths.

A friend's sister is having twins - she is 2 months ahead of me and her babies together are about the size of a decent sized baby (about 8.5 lbs). Don't think that will be me. On last scan they were both 'normal' size - i.e as big as a single baby! I have a feeling that I will be carrying two great big whoppers! arrrrrgggghhhhh! I'm in pain just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭jucko

Delighted to join here as my wife is due with twins on 15 Jan! We are thrilled!
    Massive shock as these are our first but OH is in top form, hasn't been sick but could sleep for Ireland.. Going for 18 week scan this Wednesday.
    OH sneaked off for the first scan, came home and broke the news. I laughed for about ten minutes. Twins !:eek: There are twins dotted all over my family, so it may be my fault. Oh well, will keep in contact. Best of luck ladies!!!!!

jucko wrote: »
    Massive shock as these are our first but OH is in top form, hasn't been sick but could sleep for Ireland.. Going for 18 week scan this Wednesday.
    OH sneaked off for the first scan, came home and broke the news. I laughed for about ten minutes. Twins !:eek: There are twins dotted all over my family, so it may be my fault. Oh well, will keep in contact. Best of luck ladies!!!!!

Congratulations! :)

jucko wrote: »

congrats jucko! I'm a twin mammy too. Are your twins identical or fraternal? if they are fraternal, then it's probably little to do with you or your family genes so you can be let off the hook on that one. If its identical however, then the blame is all on you.

I was so relieved to discover mine are fraternal di-di, as it is less to worry about with the birth (identical twins can come with a few higher risks).

Have my 20 week scan in two weeks (I'll actually be almost 21 weeks). Can't wait to find out what the sexes are.

I am very jealous of your wife not being sick much. I wasn't too bad initially, up to about week 10 I was only having IBS/digestion problems due to the progesterone they had me on. But then from week 10 I got horrendously ill. It got a bit better when I stopped the progesterone at week 12, and then a bit better around week 16, but I am still sick most days and feel like I have a permanently bad hangover.

When you say your twins are due 15th Jan - do you mean that is the 'official' due date based on dates (i.e 40 weeks) or is that the last day the hospital will let your wife go? Most twins are delivered no later than 38 weeks as that is considered full term for twins. My 'official' due date is 10th Jan, but I won't be allowed go any later than 27th December I have been told. But I have also been told to prepare myself that any time from mid-November is a possibility, but the ideal is to be at least 36 weeks. So I have warned work that I may not be around past the end of october! It's all a bit crazy trying to plan when you have 2 on the way - all the usual dates/timelines go out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭jucko

Hello lady! Just read your message here with Jucko and we are looking forward to our 18 week scan tomorrow. We have non identical twins and I'm starting to feel tiny flutters! Sorry to hear you have been so ill I could just sleep for weeks on end they were my only real symptoms thank god it's funny the way a twin pregnancy throws all dates out the window our week 40 due date is jan 15 but I've also been told to prepare for early arrivals what a fab Christmas present we will be getting this year I don't think there will be any presents in our house just lots of babies!!!!!:):):)

Non identical - so you can't blame Jucko then, its all your own fault!

Yes, expect the babies to arrive in early new year if not before. They usually don't allow twin pregnancies to go beyond 38 weeks unless the babies are quite small. So 1st Jan would be your last day probably! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! lol

I'm 19 weeks and haven't really felt anything, I don't think. Not really sure to be honest. Have my 'big' scan soon so I am sure by then I will be well able to feel them bouncing around in there.

Best of luck and let me know how you are getting on. Very excited there is another twin mammy due the same time as me! We can compare notes!

Hope everyone is doing good!

I am 20 weeks today and had my 20 week scan this morning - was soooo cool! You can see everything really clearly!

Since Sunday I have been feeling movement, felt loads today! Such a strange/amazing feeling, I wasnt sure what it was at first and kinda thought it was wind, cos it feels sort of like a popcorn popping in your tummy!

Really really cool!

Has anyone else felt anything??

Coopaloop did you find out the sex?!!

I have been feeling lots of little kicks when I'm relaxing in bed with my book at night. It's such a lovely reassuring feeling.

I'm over 18 weeks now and I can't wait for my big scan in 3 weeks. I'm feeling great apart from the occasional moment of nausea in the mornings.

Bagheera wrote: »
    Coopaloop did you find out the sex?!!

I have been feeling lots of little kicks when I'm relaxing in bed with my book at night. It's such a lovely reassuring feeling.

I'm over 18 weeks now and I can't wait for my big scan in 3 weeks. I'm feeling great apart from the occasional moment of nausea in the mornings.

Bagheera,nope didn't find out the sex,i want a surprise,the midwife didn't even go near that area and didn't ask if we wanted to know,id say they only do if they are asked to find out,cos i think if she had of asked us if we wanted to know i might have on a whim,ha.

The movement is so amazing,i can't explain it,something ill never forget.

Have any of you started shopping for baby stuff? We picked out our travel system and put a deposit down on it,i can't wait to use it!

• Advertisement

Coopaloop - Great news :)
    Am obsessed with travel systems :rolleyes:
    Whatcha go for & where did you buy ?
    Did you shop around ?

Merrilady wrote: »
    Coopaloop - Great news :)
    Am obsessed with travel systems :rolleyes:
    Whatcha go for & where did you buy ?
    Did you shop around ?

God its so hard to decide, there are so many different types out there!

We did look around, went to Mamas and Papas in Blanch, wasnt that impressed with the service to be honest so left, then went to Euro Cycle Euro Baby, and they are super helpful, really explained everything to us and answered any questions we had.
    My boyfriends parents live in Mullingar and his mother told us about a chemist in the town, so went in to have a look and they have everything you could possibly need from travel systems to cot/beds, etc... great place, so we went for the Baby Elegance islide in red, its a 3 in one and I love it! :):):) So I have 3 months to pay it off (or longer if I need), which is great, because although the other places do payment plans, if its on sale, normally you have to pay it all upfornt, or have maybe a month to pay, and then if its at full price you may get 3 months. So this place worked out great for us.
    Do shop around tho to get the best deal, I didnt want to spend a fortune on a travle system when in reality you only use the pram for 3 - 4 months, then the buggy part will last you till the baby is 2 or 3 depending on the size of the baby (and most people Ive spoken to have gone and bought a light weight buggy after a year or so anyway) and then the car seat only does them till maybe 9 months, I just think spending up to €1,000 on a travle system is crazy, id rather put the monely to other things! But thats just me, each to their own!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I just think spending up to €1,000 on a travle system is crazy, id rather put the monely to other things! But thats just me, each to their own!

I've had my heart set on a Bugaboo since the very start of my pregnancy and unfortunately for my OH I haven't deviated from that expensive option since -I think I'm allowed be a little indulgent for my first baby though! :)

Contemplating waiting until January to make the major purchases during sale season -hopefully baba won't make an appearance before the designanted due date!

Are stores as competitive as buying online for these things?

I've had my heart set on a Bugaboo since the very start of my pregnancy and unfortunately for my OH I haven't deviated from that expensive option since -I think I'm allowed be a little indulgent for my first baby though! :)

Contemplating waiting until January to make the major purchases during sale season -hopefully baba won't make an appearance before the designanted due date!

Are stores as competitive as buying online for these things?

Oh dont get me wrong, I would love love love a Bugaboo or icandy, they are fab, I just cant justify the money! :o

I would defo shop around and go up the north if you are going to buy one of them, fine if you have the cash saved up and can buy it straight up you will pick up deals in the sales I am sure, although its such a popular brand there might not be that huge of a saving if you get me! Check ebay for sure and if you were willing to go second hand the like of adverts.ie etc... would have great second hand ones that are in near perfect condition, I know a few people who have done that!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Oh dont get me wrong, I would love love love a Bugaboo or icandy, they are fab, I just cant justify the money! :o

I would defo shop around and go up the north if you are going to buy one of them, fine if you have the cash saved up and can buy it straight up you will pick up deals in the sales I am sure, although its such a popular brand there might not be that huge of a saving if you get me! Check ebay for sure and if you were willing to go second hand the like of adverts.ie etc... would have great second hand ones that are in near perfect condition, I know a few people who have done that!

I wouldn't go second hand (blame OCD hygiene issues!) but going up North would definitely be worth looking into!

The movement is mad isn't it! I found it hard to tell whether or not it's baby I'm feeling but am quite certain now that it is -like little tiny pokes from inside out! :)

Are anomaly scan results discussed on the day or at another appointment?

I wouldn't go second hand (blame OCD hygiene issues!) but going up North would definitely be worth looking into!

The movement is mad isn't it! I found it hard to tell whether or not it's baby I'm feeling but am quite certain now that it is -like little tiny pokes from inside out! :)

Are anomaly scan results discussed on the day or at another appointment?

Oh well defo go up the north then, just go to Strabane, there is a huge mamas and papas up there!

Yeah i really wasnt sure if it was baby moving or not, but now i really know it is!

As far as I know the midwife will discuss anything that might come up there and then, as if there was something strange I doubt they would leave you waiting, the whole thing took about 20 mins to half hour and she scans and measures from top to toe and all the internal organs etc...and points out all the different parts for you, so i think if there had of been anything strange she would have mentioned it.

Thanks Guys, am heading to Tony Kealys over the weekend, am looking at the Stokke, it really suits the hubby as he is sooo tall, however haven't "test driven" any of them so we are really doing some work this weekend to make a decision. Sooooo much to consider.

Have decided to splash out on the pram/buggy but not on anything else really.

As this is my second I have already got my travel system. We went for the bugaboo and I just love it, it is well worth the money in my opinion.

In a few weeks I'll be unpacking the baby gros again! The amount of shopping I have to do all depends on whether I have another boy :)

Bagheera wrote: »
    As this is my second I have already got my travel system. We went for the bugaboo and I just love it, it is well worth the money in my opinion

Oooh may I ask where you bought yours please? And which option you went for? Am quite confused with the various extras you need to add on to complete the system

• Advertisement

Hi Ciarabear

I went for the cameleon which included the carry cot and all the bits to convert it to a buggy plus to attach to the car seat. I got the car seat on loan so that was one expense I didn't have to go to. I got it in Tony Kealys in Coolock and I must say they were very helpful in there. As I bought one or two other bits from them they did give a bit of a discount but I can't remember exactly how much it all cost.

I did a lot of walking on maternity leave and the bugaboo was brilliant on rough surfaces. I never felt like I was pushing a heavy weight even when my son became more of a toddler. He has been refusing to get into the buggy since before he turned 2 so I'm dying to get some use out of it again!

Advertisement