Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you bullied in school? Or were you the bully?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

EarlERizer wrote: »
    I'm probably showing some ignorance here but surely to jaysus kids between the ages of 5-9 aren't poisoned with racist attitudes?
    Most likely not but I bet their parents are the racists and the children are just passing it on in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was bullied for about 6 years going from end of Primary School right up to 6th year.

Was basically the same guy all the time. Now this guy was maybe not your typical so called bully. He had a way to make friends with people, he was a clever lad, big into politics, music, good at school in general. He had few older brothers who were no saints either, but for some reason this guy just gave me grief for no reason, and when I say no reason I mean that 100%. I was quiet enough lad growing up played GAA with this lad and all, from same town etc, but still I got grief off him.

Down the years he attacked my dead grandparents, my parents and my just born brother verbally to me. He spat on me from time to time, would puncher my bike when I had one going to school, would break into my locker and just throw everything around. I could go on.

I know this might sound hard to believe, but at one point he gave me seizure from a attack he gave me across the head one day after school for no reason. He just laughed it off and called me a softy when I had be taken to hospital. I never said anything to teachers and only few people saw it and they were 1st years at the time, and were too afraid to tell the truth which I always never felt any bitterness about it and may have done same, as this guy would just attack people for stupidest of things.

Anyway the changing point in all this came at 5 a side tournament we had in school. Now I was handy footballer as kid played bit in youths level in England, and this happened to be final, in which the other individual was on opposition side. Normally I would just enjoy game like this I was competitive, but was never life or death, but I wanted to win this purely cause he was on other team

We were few goals to good, and I was in my own box defending a freekick when he comes in and straight just collides me and throws me to floor, few smart remarks were thrown in, but at this stage I was well used to it. Won't lie it bloody hurt, but just got on with game. Anyway near the end of the game we were winning well something like 10-5 when the ball became loose, and it was between me and him in for to get the ball, all I remember is thinking "get the ****, just for once" and in I went into the ball and him as hard as I could.

All I remember next is getting off floor while he lie down in pain, but what I witnessed next is something I will never forget. Not only was he on ground, but he was roaring in agony cause somehow and I really don't know how, but I broke his two legs.

Now I felt nothing at the time. I sometimes wonder was I still afraid that maybe he get me back and maybe that's why I did or felt nothing. But honestly after all these years I still never quiet know how feel about it.

Thing is I never got hassle off him again and many of the younger people like the 1st and 2nd years at the time made me to be some type of hero because of the grief he gave some of them too.

I hear he doing well for himself now. That's one thing I never cared about, if he won million quid in lotto in morning it would not bother me in slightest. All I know is that people eventually saw this man for what he really was and people had no time and never kept in contact with him after they left school. Actions speak louder then words.

For me it made me stronger person, no question about it. Never been in fight since and never want to, but I know how deal with a bully these days.

It does hurt me when I see and hear of people being bulled and I won't lie sometimes it even puts tear to my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

hondasam wrote: »
    They cannot keep moving him and claiming he is bullied in every school, there must be some nice kids in some schools.
    Of course there are, but the minority of bullying little sh1tbags unfortunately command a lot of power, and eclipse the nice kids.

I think I'd happily take my child out of a school more than once if they were being so viciously intimidated - if all other avenues were exhausted, and if the teachers and authorities were as incompetent as in this case. Maybe it would mean the kid is hyper-sensitive, but the blame always lies with the bullies, nobody else.

Dudess wrote: »
    Maybe it would mean the kid is hyper-sensitive, but the blame always lies with the bullies, nobody else.
    I was hyper-sensitive, which is probably why they kept coming back to me. Even so, my parents sometimes told me I brought it on myself, which I thought was cruel.

I also remember the principal of my school saying that "bullying doesn't happen in this school" - he swept it under the rug and did nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Dudess wrote: »
    They cannot keep moving him and claiming he is bullied in every school, there must be some nice kids in some schools.
    Of course there are, but the minority of bullying little sh1tbags unfortunately command a lot of power, and eclipse the nice kids.

I think I'd happily take my child out of a school more than once if they were being so viciously intimidated - if all other avenues were exhausted, and if the teachers and authorities were as incompetent as in this case. Maybe it would mean the kid is hyper-sensitive, but the blame always lies with the bullies, nobody else.

Yes blame lies with the bullies but that isn't much help to the kid being bullied. If the kid is being repeatedly bullied more than likely something about his behaviour is attracting bullies. The best thing you can do for the kid is helP find out what that is and correct it.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about after this has all been looked into. Getting to the root of the problem though sadly doesn't always help change things...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I wasn't bullied nor did I bully anyone. I was too busy.

In school I was already a semi-professional load-blower 8===D~~~

*blows load*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I went to a mixed secondary school and I believe I was bullied, nobody ever laid a hand on me though. I would probably have dealt with it more easily if they had - even though I was small and skinny and afraid to fight I'd have been forced to retaliate if attacked.

The sort of stuff that I experienced was not physical. Eg I had my schoolbag thrown up on the roof of the school, my bike hidden, was constantly ridiculed, had rumours that I was a "queer" and had been hanging around the local public toilets with some fella etc. C*nts would do things in class with the teacher's back turned, hang me to the teacher who would then believe them. I was also ridiculed by teachers in front of the class. I was one of the smartest pupils in my year but was somewhat nerdy and awkward.

Eventually an incident happened (not on school property) where I snapped and hit a fella with a golf club. Too late to solve any bullying problem though as AFAIR it was happened just days before the end of 6th year. I didnt go to my debs and have barely spoken to or had any contact with anyone I went to school with since finishing. That's coming up on 20 years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I like to think I wasn't included in either category. But I'm sure there were isolated incidents I was involved in that could fall into both.

Most likely not but I bet their parents are the racists and the children are just passing it on in school.
    I'm under the impression that the boy is white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I was a protector of the victims.. which makes me a bully too :)

Not really - you were provoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Never really got bullied until I was a first year in secondary school. I was freakishly tall so most people would watch their step.

There were a couple of fellas a year or two ahead of me who kept at me for a few months. I generally tried to avoid them most of the time, but I'd get the odd slagging or start getting pushed around. One day they came up to me and before they did anything, I just flipped and started to strangle one of them then threw to the floor and walked off.

No one said anything to the teachers, I just never got any grief again.

So now when confronted with life's troubles, oxygen deprivation is the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Wosserwoman

i got bullied at school because i was always better friends with boys than girls , i think the other girls were jealous a bit and they used to call me horrible names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Yes he needs an education but moving him to a different school all the time is not the best option for him. No one would stand by and allow their child to be bullied but parents can sometimes act on their own need to prove a point rather than what is good for the child.
    It's obvious from the blog the child was picked on and the relevant authorities did not act on it. They cannot keep moving him and claiming he is bullied in every school, there must be some nice kids in some schools.

You do get some nice kids but the bully's outweigh the nice nice ones. I had friends in every school I went to, but I also got bullied in every school I went too why? Because I made friends with the undesirable ones, the ones with a stammer, the ones who were adopted, the ones who had special needs. I always hooked up with the ones who had issues I hated that they were not liked and weren't allowed o join in so I would keep them company, putting a tattoo on my forehead saying bully me too. Even when your playing with a friend the bully will butt in and start tormenting you.

The problem is purely with the bullys' and not the bullied. Children should except others are different and not pick on them because they are. Teachers/ principles'. Should be more 'on the ball'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yes everywhere I went because I was brought up my my mother was ill I didn't really have things every else did or wasn't dressed properly, didn't know how to stand up for myself and looked like an easy target the posh girls were like ew and the rough girls were like here you I'm going to punch you, so half way through the LC I came out of my shell started becoming more sociable, getting some clothes, make up, doing my hair, getting more confidence.. started chatting with and getting on with the snobs and told the rough ones to shut up and I think I wasnt walking around with my head pointed down anymore.. I basically applied to art college in and knew that was it I was really happy and too excited to be an easy target anymore, I stopped caring what others thought about me.

Although I must say the main causes for bullying when I was younger was what I was wearing, not having any come backs and the walk from school going past gangs of people on my own was sad because they would only say something after I walked by, and I used to stay in school and walk home later and then these two kids followed me home singing big girls you are beautiful for the whole journey because I didnt have the guts to say shut up or il batta ya riiii.

But aye now I have come full circle I'm in my early 20's, I walk past gangs of kids now and they don't say anything, well once one said eeeh nice back and I looked him in the eye laughed and said Thanks kiddo!, another really rough looking kid was staring me out of it so I said howaya! and he was stumped, I don't care anymore although if bullying started in the workplace I'm not sure how Id handle that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Kicked, punched, held down and beaten and had broken glass thrown at me. Best ****ing days of your life my ass.

Advertisement