Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do we claim some people as irish..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They'd be perfectly entitled to. But lets leave that for another thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Yahew wrote: »
    So who - not born here (in the Republic) do we call Irish?

Phil Lynott
    Shane McGowan
    Paul McGrath
    Half of U2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ryan Tubridy in particular seems to love claiming anyone with Irish heritage as one of our own.
    The Brits are far worse for it though, I rememeber hearing the BBC commentary for Ronnie Delaney's gold medal winning run at the Melbourne Olympics. When Ronnie was tailing at the back of the field early on in the race he was been referred to as the Irishman, however when he crossed the line for gold the commentator roared out, what a marvelous win for Great Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Phil Lynott
    Shane McGowan
    Paul McGrath
    Half of U2
    I've never heard of any of those guys claiming to be anything other than Irish themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ryan Tubridy in particular seems to love claiming anyone with Irish heritage as one of our own.
    The Brits are far worse for it though, I rememeber hearing the BBC commentary for Ronnie Delaney's gold medal winning run at the Melbourne Olympics. When Ronnie was tailing at the back of the field early on in the race he was been referred to as the Irishman, however when he crossed the line for gold the commentator roared out, what a marvelous win for Great Britain.

How old are you? :eek: That was 1956 and even if you are accurate about then you'd not hear that sort of thing now. Even when McIroy was runing riot in the US Open everyone on the BBC radio commentary was very careful to describe him as Northern Irish. Also no one ever went on a UK chat show to be interrogated about how British they are a la Tubbs on the Late Late Show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Phil Lynott

While it is correct he was not born in Ireland, he was born to an Irish mother and was raised from the age of 4 in Ireland by his Irish grandmother. He called himself Irish and there was more than one fight that was caused by someone calling him english (when he was younger obviously)
    The Brits are far worse for it though

In a recent Samuel L. Jackson interview with Kate Thornton on British TV about his new movie SWAT the following convo took place

Kate: What's it like working with Colin Farrell, cause he is just so hot in the UK right now

Samuel: He’s pretty hot in the US too

Kate: Yea, but he’s one of our own!

Samuel: Isn’t he from Ireland?

Kate: Yea but we claim him because Ireland is beside us

Samuel: Ya see that’s your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don’t belong to you. We had that problem in America too – it was called slavery

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Heres someone who we claim as Irish, who himself claimed he was Irish , but was as English as brighton rock:

Micheál Mac Liammóir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miche%C3%A1l_Mac_Liamm%C3%B3ir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

GAAman wrote: »

In a recent Samuel L. Jackson interview with Kate Thornton on British TV about his new movie SWAT the following convo took place

Kate: What's it like working with Colin Farrell, cause he is just so hot in the UK right now

Samuel: Ya see that’s your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don’t belong to you. We had that problem in America too – it was called slavery

Welcome to about 8 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Daniel Day-Lewis has Irish citizenship and has lived here for years, raising his children here, so I think he passes to a certain extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Shur the Brits claim Oscar Wilde when describing him as a genius, and give him to us when they call him a ghey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

While it is correct he was not born in Ireland, he was born to an Irish mother and was raised from the age of 4 in Ireland by his Irish grandmother. He called himself Irish and there was more than one fight that was caused by someone calling him english (when he was younger obviously)

SWAT came out in 2003..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Best claims ever

Queen Victoria half Irish, as her mother was playing away (Supposedly the reason for haemophilia in the Royal family)

Napoleon 1/4 Irish one of granddaddies was Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

Lived in Ireland from the age of two. It really annoys me when people call him American as he spent all of his formative years in Co Limerick. I moved from New York to Mayo when I was two and I can't even remember living in America, I don't regard myself as anything other than Irish.

what the hell are you doing here? you can move to america, if that was me i'd be living it up in southern California, their economy is not doing the best but still got more prospects than this banana republic.

Go West Young Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

If this all stems from the McIlroy debacle, then everyone is totally misunderstanding the situation. I see absolutely no reason why Rory should represent the Republic in the Olympics. He (in my opinion) has chosen to represent The UK because his country is in the UK and he was not born in the Republic. If he wants to represent his home town, local golf club and himself then its only right that he represents the UK.

When people dispute whether Rory is Irish or not they seem to forget that "Irish" in this context refers to the island, Ireland is not a country - it's and island. He is therefore from Ireland and should be described as Irish. Whether he is unionist or nationalist (NI nationalist) or Republican or non of the above is irrelevant to the issue. We in the Republic are not claiming Rory for the Republic but proud of the fact that he is Irish - whatever way you look at it.

Saoire ronin *born in new york
    Ronan o gara *california

Gimme a break. Saoirse Ronan spent the first three years of her life, which she probably doesn't even remember, in New York. She was raised in Carlow, still lives there and is educated in Ireland. She more than likely considers herself Irish. If someone considers themselves Irish and has more than enough evidence of it to back it up, then it's hardly for other people to claim otherwise. Ridiculous example.

And don't even get me started on O' Gara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

Nulty wrote: »
    If this all stems from the McIlroy debacle, then everyone is totally misunderstanding the situation. I see absolutely no reason why Rory should represent the Republic in the Olympics. He (in my opinion) has chosen to represent The UK because his country is in the UK and he was not born in the Republic. If he wants to represent his home town, local golf club and himself then its only right that he represents the UK.

When people dispute whether Rory is Irish or not they seem to forget that "Irish" in this context refers to the island, Ireland is not a country - it's and island. He is therefore from Ireland and should be described as Irish. Whether he is unionist or nationalist (NI nationalist) or Republican or non of the above is irrelevant to the issue. We in the Republic are not claiming Rory for the Republic but proud of the fact that he is Irish - whatever way you look at it.

Rory's website http://www.rorymcilroy.com/ seems to clear up what he thinks at the moment at least, his flag is nailed to the mast.

Rory's website http://www.rorymcilroy.com/ seems to clear up what he thinks at the moment at least, his flag is nailed to the mast.

Didn't we all already know that McIlroy is a unionist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If someone is born abroad but lives here and stars in a hollywood movie or in a famous band,we claim them to be irish :confused:

It's so preposterous that we claim Barack Obama as an irish person at least in part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Didn't we all already know that McIlroy is a unionist?

Isn't that his own business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

orourkeda wrote: »
    It's so preposterous that we claim Barack Obama as an irish person at least in part

I always took it as a tongue in cheek claim rather than anything serious.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    Isn't that his own business?

Isn't anyone's identity their own business? Of course it is, but we're still on here discussing whether various people should be allowed to consider themselves Irish. People on here are debating about whether McIlroy can be considered Irish. All I'm saying is that he clearly considers himself British. Didn't say there was anything wrong with that, he can think whatever he likes, it's his life and it's personal.

I've flicked through it but can't find anything pertinent

mike65 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    SWAT came out in 2003..

Wow you guys must have read the really small print in my post where i claimed i wrote every word instead of just copying and pasting an article..........

You also must be confusing me with someone who gives a flying fúck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

what the hell are you doing here? you can move to america, if that was me i'd be living it up in southern California, their economy is not doing the best but still got more prospects than this banana republic.

Go West Young Man!

I probably will end up moving to America at some point for work, but Ireland is the country I'll always regard as home and would most likely return to.

Wow you guys must have read the really small print in my post where i claimed i wrote every word instead of just copying and pasting an article..........

You also must be confusing me with someone who gives a flying fúck :)

This may have avoided any misunderstandings:
    This is a quote box.

We use them for quotes.

Nulty wrote: »
    This may have avoided any misunderstandings:

I don't believe there was any misunderstandings, just people trying to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

that is so cool is it on youtube some where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

mike65 wrote: »
    krudler wrote: »
    SWAT came out in 2003..

Ya knew well the point of his post lads, pull the pedant stick outta yer holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hmm I always find these topics very difficult.

I was born in England (Oxfordshire) to Irish parents, moved to London when I was 1, left and moved to Ipswich when I was 6, left and moved once again to Omagh at age 14, and have been primarly based in Belfast/Omagh since I was 18/19.

When I was England everyone knew we were an irish immigrant family, and so naturally everyone at school called me irish etc. Supported the ROI at football, flew over for games etc. Then when I moved over here and obviously I was called English because of my English accent. Not only that but because I went to an integrated school so everyone thought I was a protestant, even though strictly speaking I was really a fenian just with an English accent.

Identity is a strange thing. I don't know what I am because I've moved around so many times, don't know what my hometown is, don't know my nationality, everyone has different opinions on this.

I don't feel particularly English because most people in England didn't consider me English when I was living there. So if I went on about how English I was I would just feel like a plastic Englishman, particularly since I've not had any contact with anyone there since I was 14 (25 now) and it's not been my home for 11 years. I don't know the country anymore, never lived there as an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

Gimme a break. Saoirse Ronan spent the first three years of her life, which she probably doesn't even remember, in New York. She was raised in Carlow, still lives there and is educated in Ireland. She more than likely considers herself Irish. If someone considers themselves Irish and has more than enough evidence of it to back it up, then it's hardly for other people to claim otherwise. Ridiculous example.

And don't even get me started on O' Gara.

There's a good whack of our population who are not born Ireland and consider themeselves Irish. I'm sure about 6% of our population was born in the UK.

Advertisement