Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about Tax on Ford Transit

• 13-04-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

My friend just asked me to log on and find out an answer.

He got off a friend a free Ford Transit van. The friend was going home and didn't want it. Its a 99/98 maybe.

He is not a business etc but would like to get this van taxed. What would be the best way? He wants to just use the van on weekends to bring dirt bikes around.
    Can he tax this privately? I think he can't but not sure.

The van has a DOE until September but no Tax, this was up in DEC 10. I am not sure what litre engine it is, he told me its a Ford Transit Van one panel? Dont know if that makes sense.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Please not another commercial tax thread....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Mrking wrote: »
    Can he tax this privately? I think he can't but not sure.

If it won't be used for commercial purposes, it can and even must be taxed privately, according to engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Yeah, private tax. If it was taxed commercially he is probably best going into the tax office and getting it changed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It pretty easy to change it to a private vehicle but you have to remember that old model transits(I presume its an old one if it was free) are usually 2.5 diesel so private tax is going to be just shy of €1000 a year!:eek:

Advertisement