Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Secondry school entrance exam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Even calling it an 'entrance exam' is a misnomer. Schools have to accept whoever they get nowadays. More than likely, it's an assessment of the child's reading and numeric skills that will be kept on file and not make a difference what class the child is in, as many schools have mixed ability groupings now.

Chill out, your attitude is going to stress your child out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

it is worth putting the effort into revising. It will mean you will be in a higher class which usually receive the better teachers (in my old school anyway) and more opportunity to do honours when junior and leaving cert come around.

Some things i remember from the maths section:

-simple interest
    -compound interest
    -LCM
    -long division
    -i think there were some quadrtic equations.

English:

-some essay

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Dont worry about it! Its just a simple assessment to determine what level of class to put students in, which will determine how many honours thay do in Junior Cert etc and will ulimately decide the rest of their lives. But dont worry about it;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

neil_hosey wrote: »
    it is worth putting the effort into revising. It will mean you will be in a higher class which usually receive the better teachers (in my old school anyway) and more opportunity to do honours when junior and leaving cert come around.

-simple interest
    -compound interest
    -LCM
    -long division

English:

-some essay

Heh, I wonder how many of use could do that stuff now.
    I don't even know what LCM stands for and as for quadratic equations - either you're winding up the OP or your memory is fudged; there's no way a primary school kid in Ireland could do one of those (there's no way I could do one either, for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That's what happens when you leave school aged 9. You miss these critical moments in education.

That's okay, I was never one for words and such.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is this done for every secondary school now? It was only the posh schools in my day that did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

-simple interest
    -compound interest
    -LCM
    -long division

English:

-some essay

Most schools do not place kids in ability classes anymore, and furthermore I am sure things like compound interest are not in the revised primary school curriculum anymore

-simple interest
    -compound interest
    -LCM
    -long division

English:

-some essay

I'm afraid that this poster's experience is so out of date, it's pre-historic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My advice would be to pop down to the local school and when you see the calibre of some of it's students, you will know that the secondary school entrance exam is most certainly not one of a taxing academic standard. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

My advise would be to relax! My god I dread to think how worked up you'll get over the leaving cert exams. It's not something you are meant to study for its just to check your child's level of natural academic ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

It doesn't do anything.
    They may get put into a slightly different group if they fail incredibly hard (keep in mind that only one or two freaked out kids with pushy parents ever study for this).

If they try and put her into an Ordinary level class all she has to say is "Could I try the Higher instead? I think I'm able for it.", the school can't make her do the Ordinary level, they want as much people in Higher as they think are able (showing interest is a big plus btw) and any teacher who wouldn't let her into the class is most likely a **** teacher anyway.

I don't even know what LCM stands for and as for quadratic equations - either you're winding up the OP or your memory is fudged; there's no way a primary school kid in Ireland could do one of those (there's no way I could do one either, for that matter).

Your slagging me and you dnt know what LCM stands for?? :rolleyes: maybe you should be the one taking the test.

Im 23 years of age and went to St. Aidans in whitehall, the things i listed were definately on the test, i still remember... also stil remember the little bastard beside me trying to copy me! Im hardly that old that its changed that much? i was 12 starting secondary so thats 98! my school was graded though, A to D.. like one poster said thats gone now?

The only thing im not certain on is whether quadratic eqns came up, i could be confusing it with something else. There was certainly some basic number theory and arithmetics..

But if classes arent graded anymore, its probably pointless then no??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your slagging me and you dnt know what LCM stands for?? :rolleyes: maybe you should be the one taking the test.

I'm assuming there was no reading comprehension on the syllabus at either your primary or secondary school?

I'm assuming there was no reading comprehension on the syllabus at either your primary or secondary school?

??????? riiiiight...

for future reference LCM is least common multiple, you generally learn it towards the end of primary school. I can read just fine, i think you need to brush up on your primary school mathematics..

this is ghey offtopic bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

"The cat lives in the box - Where does the cat live?"

Was a question on my secondary schools entrance exam.

They were obviously looking for you to expand on that and discuss Schrödinger's cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hi OP. Very important to get your kid to see this exam beforehand so they can cheat their way to a high mark and get into a top class. It'll make all the difference and remember ... once you're in the 'D' class , you're there for life (or at least til you finish your Junior Cert).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I did one about 15 years ago. They simply get you to them to show you are interested in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

OP, do not be one bit worried about this exam- I'm a secondary school teacher (I know, boo, hiss!) and this exam is more than likely only to give the teachers an indication of what kind of level someone's at, not to place your child in a particular level.

Most schools have mixed ability classes now- I know after we do our entance exams we just keep the results on file in case any problems pop up so we can flag them in case a student might need particular help with something.

One thing I have noticed though, and I'm only teaching in my school 3 years, is that the standard is getting worse and worse every year which is extremely depressing- but that's neither here nor there. Just don't be worried about it!

.Im 23 years of age and went to St. Aidans in whitehall, the things i listed were definately on the test, i still remember

Im hardly that old that its changed that much? i was 12 starting secondary so thats 98!

That's 12 years ago!!! The entire primary school curriculum has changed!

deemark wrote: »
    That's 12 years ago!!! The entire primary school curriculum has changed!

oh right... makes me feel old. Remember like it was yesterday.

They can hardly change the fundamentals of maths though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

bellapip wrote: »
    No I am not looking for her to brush up with the actual exam, I was just looking for a previous exam so that she could have an idea of what to expect, I most certainly not condone 'Cheating' and as the post primary school keeps pointing out, it is not an exam, it is just an assessment.

The junior school is being very vague and saying revise, however they have never done winter or summer exams with the class over the years and she feels a little nervous about it, understandably as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, not to worry, I have asked in another forum and have been pointed to the 'Irish board of education' who give a guide to what the students should brush up on, which is exactly what I was looking for,.

Thanks for the help.

Bell:D

There nothing! Stuff like figuring out how many triangles are in a picture. Basic math. Circling pictures etc.... Can't really study. TBH, you sound like one of those parents who work both themselves and their kids up. I remember seeing other kids when I was in school with parents like that. Sometimes the best thing to do is let your kid go through a stressful situation all by themselves. There's such a thing as smothering a child. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Theres no need to study for the fecking entrance exams. Let the child off till they get to their actual exams.;) Its not the Hpat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I remember our primary teachers working us up saying how important the test was and then you get into it and its a feckin basic aptitude test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In theory couldnt the school use the test to decide who to admit in the event of being oversubscribed ?
    weeder wrote: »
    I remember our primary teachers working us up saying how important the test was

Teachers do that or hadnt you noticed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No they have partial differential equations on it rather than quadratic afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Dean0088 wrote: »
    There nothing! Stuff like figuring out how many triangles are in a picture. Basic math. Circling pictures etc.... Can't really study. TBH, you sound like one of those parents who work both themselves and their kids up. I remember seeing other kids when I was in school with parents like that. Sometimes the best thing to do is let your kid go through a stressful situation all by themselves. There's such a thing as smothering a child. ;)

Isn't murder illegal?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In theory couldnt the school use the test to decide who to admit in the event of being oversubscribed ?

Legally? No. Schools aren't allowed to discriminate against someone based on academic level, special need, race, religion or ethnic background. Some nonsense about equality or somethin'....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

My one 5 years ago was an apptitude test. You can't study for them, that's the point, it's to show what your child is good at and what her faults are.

She can't study for it, it's like trying to study for an IQ test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Hi OP . The assessment asks basic maths questions , spatial awareness questions and general logic really like "hand is to glove as foot is too .. a) hat b) coat c) sock d) scarf " .. Your child doesn't need to worry about it at all ! There were 3 classes in my year and each were full of those with mixed abilities . The tests doesnt mean anything , children may not do well in it but they could be really smart . Its just an indication of their level at that time .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

deemark wrote: »
    Legally? No. Schools aren't allowed to discriminate against someone based on academic level, special need, race, religion or ethnic background. Some nonsense about equality or somethin'....:rolleyes:

Funny from reading the 5782 AH threads on religion and Schools I was under the impression that the exact opposite was the case ?

Advertisement