Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long is too long for a movie at the cinema?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

magpie wrote:
    Ah, so I get it now. You make it longer and worse? :)

Oh I get it, you're trying to be funny!

Good luck with that, hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

So if editors don't make films shorter and better what do they do?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mobile04 wrote:
    i read that the last lord of the rings
    had over 2 hours on the choping room floor removed from the final release
    its due out next month 4 dvd set
    Yeah but not all of it is restored. The new cut is an admirable 50 minutes longer though. The combined total of all 3 EEs is 11hr 21mins...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

ixoy wrote:
    Now let's see if some cinema is up to the marathon challenge of a continuous run of all the extended editions of Lord of the Rings, without playing the credits for the first two. Over eleven hours if memory serves me correctly. Bring it on!!!
    Yes!!!!! That is something that I'd love to see... Virgin Cinema did a back to back of Star Wars Ep4, 5 & 6 some years ago which unfortunately I missed. Hopefully they'll have a LotR Extended Edition Marathon too! Fingers and eyes crossed!! ;)
    I'd have to bring a cushion or something with me though... those cinema seats are designed to paralyse you after 3 and half hours trapped in them :(

magpie wrote:
    So if editors don't make films shorter and better what do they do?

Thelma Schoonmaker (Sorcese's editor) was brought onto a film called "grace of my heart". Sorcese was executive producing for the film and the cut was in trouble. the film set in the fifties and sixties had lots of touches in character and setting that evoked the time and place of the film. The director fairly inexperienced was brow beaten by the far more experienced editor, who was originally cutting the film, and had removed all these moments cause he felt they were "kinda lame" and "kitsch". First thing as the Schoomaker did was to "put em all back in" and the film regained the charm the director was striving for.

It depends on the film. On many films the editor is an effective set of eyes, he's not being on set during that torturous shot so isn't emotional invested in that shot that took three hours to get and we're not losing it! he/she (it's a very misogynistic industry but women tend to excel in editing *shrug* one of those things) is divorced from the shoot and can be a surgeon emotional detached and look at the film honestly (unlike say a direct who hates an actress, in it, that he had an affair with but since been dumped) and get the best cut.

Editors can be script writes the last day of script writing is the last day of cutting. they can move scenes around explore alternative structures of the film. I've seen films rejunvenatived just by putting a scene ten or fifteen minutes earlier/later in the running order of a film. I'm not just talking in your magnolia or memento, on any film.

You're the person who has the most control of an actors performance aside from the direct and the actor. You can change the timing of a delivery by cut away from an actor at the right moment, or massage a good performance from bad one.

They're technicians understanding complex post production technology, as well as craftsman and the people who generally know the film backwards (I literally know how to say two lines of dialogue backwards from my first student film) It's one of the most unknown aspects of filmmaking but behind the scenes the most important.

it's not just making it shorter and therefore "better"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

When I was young there was a thing called an "intermission" in the middle of the film which would sort these problems..
    And there was me thinking that when you were young they used show Pathé newsreels or Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon before the movie:D

sceptre wrote:
    And there was me thinking that when you were young they used show Pathé newsreels or Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon before the movie:D

A few years back the IFI (when it was the IFC) would show classics, complete with Tom and Jerry cartoon and the newsreel that preceded the film in the year it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

How long is too long for a movie at the cinema?

Well as long as it takes to tell a good story is my answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

just to let you BOTH SCREEN and UGC have cut the film into 2 parts, with part 1 opening today and part 2 opening next friday(19th), both approximately 3 1/2 hours long.
    the film was given 5/5 stars in today's ticket "The Best of Youth is a rare and truly exhilarating cinema experience, and one of the first great achievements in 21'st century world cinema. It is, i believe, a masterpiece."
    im not gonna make it today, but hopefully will tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

herobear wrote:
    just to let you BOTH SCREEN and UGC have cut the film into 2 parts, with part 1 opening today and part 2 opening next friday(19th), both approximately 3 1/2 hours long.
    the film was given 5/5 stars in today's ticket "The Best of Youth is a rare and truly exhilarating cinema experience, and one of the first great achievements in 21'st century world cinema. It is, i believe, a masterpiece."
    im not gonna make it today, but hopefully will tomorrow

Damn, there goes my suggestion (which I was just about to write) for all you UGC subscription members. We (for I am one too) could have left at the intermission one day and come back during the intermission another day.

ixoy wrote:
    Now let's see if some cinema is up to the marathon challenge of a continuous run of all the extended editions of Lord of the Rings, without playing the credits for the first two. Over eleven hours if memory serves me correctly. Bring it on!!!

Those credits would surely come in handy as an intermission, no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

herobear wrote:
    Ah riiight. I still won't get around to seeing it though - I can't make it tomorrow, I'm not around on Sunday, and then back to work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Damn, there goes my suggestion (which I was just about to write) for all you UGC subscription members. We (for I am one too) could have left at the intermission one day and come back during the intermission another day.

that may be a valid suggestion as contrary to what i first believed, UGC are running it all the way though(with a 40 minute intermission), although seeing it all the way through is definitely preferable in my eyes.
    saw this last night, one of the most beautiful, epic, amazing films ive ever seen! and a film which kept me gripped to my seat in all 6+ hours of it.
    the film had a lot to live up to in my eyes, as its one ive been wanting to see since early this year, but it wholly and completely lived up to my expectations and easily surpassed them. a definate 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

when I watched Magnolia for the first time

what a movie!!!! It was 3 hourse ... wow!

Now this is a movie every single enthusiast has to see because it breaks most of the 'holiwood' rules of cinematogrify... there is one sence when the cop goes to the junkies house and the all you see is their faces at eitehr end for about 1 1/2 mins - now, in any other film that would be extreemly booring but in this case the scene was so filled with anticipation and emotional currents that just set back in awe ofthe director and actors as they help fully involved ....

see, that's the problem... few movies involve the viewer at a level where they 'hand themselves over' do the story tellers.

So, there's the answer if you're 'in the story' and feel every meotion and twitch then time is no longer a parameter... but that doesn't happen all to often... even with the best of actors (saw Secret Window last night with Jonny Depp.... what a load of blx!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the main problem is toilet breakes but even without coffie and other drugs i could handle a 48 hour TV marathon so with coffie and other such drugs i could probbley hack 70ish hour movie/TV show but it would have to be very good

without toilet breaks its different empty your bladder before you go in yes dont drink ok but how long can u go then without needing a drink **** or food/water.

emm i did 70 hour no food but i had allot to drink so mabe a 30 hour movie just guessing ive never reley tried to see how long i can go without sleap toilet and food and drink ive only tried how long without sleap and without sleap and food

Advertisement