Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Shane.C wrote: »
    This beckons a goodbye for Clary.

Here's hoping!!.

Yes, his cap hit is outrageous but he's simply not good enough a player regardless, at best he is a backup, the 6th or 7th O lineman to dress Sundays. Either he takes a massive pay cut or cut him loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I thought Clary did a fine job at guard this year :o

Great to have Butler tied down for his whole career, great contract structue for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Donald Brown RB from Indy signs!
    I really like this pick up, solidifies the RB position and looking back at the Denver playoff game, when we lost Mathews, our Offense became ineffective, this pick up will definitely stop that from happening again.

Shane.C wrote: »
    Donald Brown RB from Indy signs!
    I really like this pick up, solidifies the RB position and looking back at the Denver playoff game, when we lost Mathews, our Offense became ineffective, this pick up will definitely stop that from happening again.

100% agree, he's the perfect backup to Ryan should he go down/need some rest. In fact the 2 of them could almost share the carries down the line. And Brown is better pass catcher and pass protector, all in all nice signing. Even if it seems there is a conveyor belt from Indy to SD. I hear there is a good chance we will be signing a LB from there too to backup our ILBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I was under the impression that he was a good pass protector but heard a few indy fans say they were never impressed by that aspect of his game.

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    I was under the impression that he was a good pass protector but heard a few indy fans say they were never impressed by that aspect of his game.

He's better than Mathews anyway. And at least with Brown in the game the opponents D cannot be as sure as to whether we will run or pass. That is an unfortunate by product of having Ryan in there.

Another couple of smaller name add ons in last couple of days, corner from Bengals, Ghee (who I've never heard of) and the TE/FB type from Steelers, Johnson, and yet another Colt i.e. Conner who immediately improves the backup LB depth over the likes of Bront Bird. Happy to see Reggie Walker back too.

So Clary has still not been re-structured or cut... surely only a matter of time eh lads.

Onto draft think now. Who would u like to see/think we will see at #25?

I think Nix will be there but I don't want him over a corner like Fuller say. I'd even look at taking the best Guard in the draft there and rid ourselves of the likes of Clary.

The 3 options for us in the 1st round are CB, NT or WR.
    CB seems to be the main priority and ideally fuller is available for us. There's a lot of players with a lot of potential but I'm not convinced any of the CBs available at 25 will develop into a no.1 CB.
    At NT it seems like nix is our best bet but jernigan would be brilliant if he dropped to us. On a side note I was really surprised we cut jerideau this week, why cut a NT when we only had 3 to begin with. It means I think NT is our top priority.
    WR is an unknown quantity with the team because brown is inconsistent and floyd isn't a guarantee to play again. Unfortunately I think Alexander is too big a risk to sign. By signing a top WR in round 1 we could create a scary offence with a huge number of weapons

The 3 options for us in the 1st round are CB, NT or WR.
    CB seems to be the main priority and ideally fuller is available for us. There's a lot of players with a lot of potential but I'm not convinced any of the CBs available at 25 will develop into a no.1 CB.
    At NT it seems like nix is our best bet but jernigan would be brilliant if he dropped to us. On a side note I was really surprised we cut jerideau this week, why cut a NT when we only had 3 to begin with. It means I think NT is our top priority.
    WR is an unknown quantity with the team because brown is inconsistent and floyd isn't a guarantee to play again. Unfortunately I think Alexander is too big a risk to sign. By signing a top WR in round 1 we could create a scary offence with a huge number of weapons

Yep wideout is a need too but I don't want to see one taken round 1. History proves there are v few sure things at WR and some of the best in the league have been low draft picks or even UDFAs. I'd be happy with Nix but as I said above would prefer one of the top 3 corners (whoever they are) right now my fave is Fuller. I don't think Jernigan can play the nose he is more of a 4-3 DT no?

• Advertisement

Clary aint getting cut, if he was he be already let go, he done fine at Guard last year, no he aint worth the money but we have enough needs without making another immediate one.

I like our secondary, it was no coencidence that our secodary looked decent when Ingram came back. Pass rush is a secondarys best friend. In saying that a stud of a corner would be welcome :p

Im pretty relaxed with this draft, we reigned the players we needed to during the off season, and have money to play with next year and a bunch the year after. Only dissapointment was how much we paid Brown.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Clary aint getting cut, if he was he be already let go, he done fine at Guard last year, no he aint worth the money but we have enough needs without making another immediate one.

I like our secondary, it was no coencidence that our secodary looked decent when Ingram came back. Pass rush is a secondarys best friend. In saying that a stud of a corner would be welcome :p

Im pretty relaxed with this draft, we reigned the players we needed to during the off season, and have money to play with next year and a bunch the year after. Only dissapointment was how much we paid Brown.

Clary will get re-done though. No way he plays this season on his current deal, better players have already been re-structured. Heard Daniel Jeremiah talking about how Telesco is a production guy more than a measurables guy hence the picks of Allen and T'eo i.e. their 40 time etc is not as important to him as what they have done/can do on the football field.

Another feckin mega late monday nighter to start the season lads. Might be forced to take the Tuesday off and watch the game live. Hate having to wait/avoid the internet the next day until I get to see it on Gamepass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Looks like i'll be going to the buffalo game :D

Arizona in Arizona and Seattle at home, two very tough games to start the season! Bring it on!:D

Molly wrote: »
    Looks like i'll be going to the buffalo game :D

V cool if I can't get to SD I'd love to get to the Miami game.

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to get to San Diego for me this year but I can drive to Buffalo, probably get to pats against bears game as well.

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to get to San Diego for me this year but I can drive to Buffalo, probably get to pats against bears game as well.

Where you living Molly? NYC?

Edit: see it has your location as Boston sorry....

We're very quiet here lads.

Anyone with a strong preference for who we draft? I'm not making any predictions myself because it is impossible to guess who will fall to us, especially at CB. Taking fluker last year shows that telesco is hard to predict so we could take a shot at anyone.

One intriguing scenario is if Carr falls to us at 25 and the browns haven't a qb yet could some team want to trade with us to get ahead of them? Could possibly get another second this year and two firsts for next year.

We're very quiet here lads.

Anyone with a strong preference for who we draft? I'm not making any predictions myself because it is impossible to guess who will fall to us, especially at CB. Taking fluker last year shows that telesco is hard to predict so we could take a shot at anyone.

One intriguing scenario is if Carr falls to us at 25 and the browns haven't a qb yet could some team want to trade with us to get ahead of them? Could possibly get another second this year and two firsts for next year.

G'day OAOB, buenas dias.

I want a corner pick one, I don't think there is a D lineman (esp tackle/nose) worthy at our spot. Someone like Fuller or Roby for me as I expect the likes of Dennard will be gone. Would love the Attaochu lad in the 2nd if he is there. Or Van Noy but he'll likely be gone early 2nd. All in all it is corner first, OLB second for me. We can get a good wideout round 3 like last year. Don't see the nose tackle value at all, Aubrayo could be brought back after the draft to spell Lissemore.

Oh and you are right about Cleveland's second pick in round one if they don't go QB early on. If Minnesota don't go QB rd 1 they could be a trading partner at #25.

• Advertisement

I think nose tackle is a big priority. We keep filling it with short term average players and not finding a proper solution to it.
    I wouldn't go olb in the second, leave it til the 4th. We have ingram, jj, freeney and english as our main ones with keiser (if he doesnt get cut over his assault). A second round rookie won't get much playing time except for injuries.
    I like the second round pick to be either a cb or nt, whichever we don't get in the 1st or else grab a good OT who could cover LT but ideally kick fluker inside to guard and create a monstrous right side of the line to open up running lanes

I think nose tackle is a big priority. We keep filling it with short term average players and not finding a proper solution to it.
    I wouldn't go olb in the second, leave it til the 4th. We have ingram, jj, freeney and english as our main ones with keiser (if he doesnt get cut over his assault). A second round rookie won't get much playing time except for injuries.
    I like the second round pick to be either a cb or nt, whichever we don't get in the 1st or else grab a good OT who could cover LT but ideally kick fluker inside to guard and create a monstrous right side of the line to open up running lanes

I like that idea but I wonder how popular that move would be among the Charger coaches and esp Fluker himself. The reason I'm saying OLB is someone like Van Noy (prob gone by our 2nd rd pick) or Attaochu would be a massive improvement to what we have. Attaochu coming in on 3rd down over JJ & all the rest of em bar Freeney would be v cool. NT is defo a big need for us but I don't believe there is a NT worth picking in the 2nd. Nix will be gone as will Hageman and both I reckon are just ok, not 8 yr rock solid nose tackles (these guys don't grow on trees I know).

Tickets for Bills game actually purchased. 9 rows from the field around the 20 yard line :)

Don't want a NT in the first, NT only plays around 50% of our snaps so it seems costly for a first round pick. Could argue the impact he would have on those snaps but I'd sooner see a corner or guard. Wouldn't be opposed to Van Noy in the first.

Don't want Fluker moved to guard, he was excellent at RT last year especially given he had that useless lump next to him, didn't really get the credit he deserved as he was poor on the left.

Tickets for Bills game actually purchased. 9 rows from the field around the 20 yard line :)

Don't want a NT in the first, NT only plays around 50% of our snaps so it seems costly for a first round pick. Could argue the impact he would have on those snaps but I'd sooner see a corner or guard. Wouldn't be opposed to Van Noy in the first.

Don't want Fluker moved to guard, he was excellent at RT last year especially given he had that useless lump next to him, didn't really get the credit he deserved as he was poor on the left.

It's funny.... anybody close to SD realise how good he was as a rookie RT last yr. But like u say those outside SD who also saw him struggle somewhat at LT did not give him the recognition his general play and attitude warranted. He outplayed Fisher for starters even if Fisher purports to be a LT down the line.

I like Van Noy but he could be picked up a lot lower than 25 so if he's our guy we should try trade back.

We don't have a nt good enough to play more than 50% of plays. I think nix will be a very good player but we could move up a few places in the second round to get him as his stock is dropping quick.

Fluker is a stud RT but I'd be drafting another tackle with the intention of replaceing dunlap next year and if it works out well Fluker goes back to RT. If dunlap gets injured again we'd be well equipped to deal with it. Also if he gets injured this year then we shouldn't be extending his contract so we'd need to draft a LT next year. I'm thinking either of the 2 OT from tennesse are good options.

By the way it doesn't sound like it from my post but I was hugely impressed with Dunlap last year and I also really like mike harris but only as a backup

Verret seems to love San Diego and would be a decent pick up in the first IMO.

If that situation of trading down presents itself, I'd have no problem accepting it if there was no '1st Round' CB's.

It's more than likely Gates' last year, and Hardwick, J Johnson and Freeney, if we are going to try and go further we go further now rather than later. So we need an immediate impact player.

I'd love Kelvin Benjamin, that big 6'5 frame would do wonders for Rivers' looping ball!

Here's to a successful draft!

I'm thinking O line now lads... this lad XSF could be a Charger tonight. Enjoy it!.

Could very well be Leslie. I wouldn't be disappointed with it either!
    It would mean going for a CB in the second, trading up for one even! Wright and Marshall are not the starting CB's we need. Wright does show potential as a second though.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed there is a run on QBs, starts with pick 7 and 8.

If Fuller gets past the steelers he could drop to a nice position where we could trade up ahead of the Benegals.Not keen on verett from TCU.

Butler has said he wants a big Jose tackle. Nix will be there but he probably be there another 8-12 picks later too.

Wild card pick? Marques Lee.

Don't see a Oline picked with the first two picks. We might not even take anyone tonight, either way enjoy!!

Advertisement