Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Geothermal - Need New Inverter

• 26-11-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi All

First time posting. We built our house 7 years ago and installed geothermal system using a Neura Heatpump. Now we need a new inverter which is coming in at €1400 - has anyone here had this problem and managed to do it cheaper than this price?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Read the thread directly below yours for all the info you need

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Condenser wrote: »
    Read the thread directly below yours for all the info you need

Hi Could you send me a link to the thread for the info please as I can't seem to find it.
    I too have a neura heatpump and the powerflex 4 inverter is acting up after lightning storm around xmas - not sure how to troubleshoot it either as there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows much about them from what i see. The error that is occurring on startup in an F5 error stored in d008 parameter.

Any info would be very gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »

Hi it is indeed but it's rated for 5hp which is more expensive. I will try to get the overvoltage error fixed first as I believe it can be a common fault

Thanks
    MC

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AppleMuncher

Hi

Did this inverter do the trick? I'm interested in the outcome as I have the same issue with my Neura heat pump and have also been quoted €1400.

• Advertisement

Hi

Did this inverter do the trick? I'm interested in the outcome as I have the same issue with my Neura heat pump and have also been quoted €1400.

hi there... if you don't mind who quoted you 1400 for the new inverter. Tech were quoting 2300 with no guarantees it would fix the problem so I declined. I have no heating since early January. I have a local electrical engineer looking to see if he can fix the problem. He used to work on inverters in a previous job and he looked at my one and he is not sure that it is the problem. I have told him if he thinks it will cost over a thousand that I'm not really interested and I'm goin to install a sold fuel boiler for next winter. But I'm still hoping he can fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭al2009

Mchammer

Is the inverter 3phase or single phase? what led to the conclusion that the inverter was faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AppleMuncher

Hi Mchammer

The inverter was flagged just because it is a common fault with these systems apparently, and also given the lightening storms that have occurred in Ireland recently.

I'm not actually in Ireland at the moment (based in the US) so I'm depending on my plumber who has had a consultant engineer (who was, as I understand it, a major installer of these units in Ireland) check it out. It could be the compressor or something else entirely, I'm not sure. So I am traveling home from the US on the weekend to investigate the issue myself and will know more then.

My plumber quoted me the 1,400 euro inverter price, again I need to speak with the engineer in person, to confirm this. AFAIK it is a 3-phase unit.

If you want to message me I can give you my contact details and will be happy to help anyway I can. My system has worked perfectly for about 6 years or so, 3,500 sq. foot house easily maintains 21C running the system only at night. Also have had no issues with the hot water system reaching temp running 8-10 hours at night.

Recently (just before Christmas) the hot water tank developed a leak and upon inspection it was found to be cracked. So it was replaced with a stainless steel one, total cost ~2,500 euro. Now since the end of January the heating system has been problematic. The engineer who inspected the unit suggested replacing the inverter but with the caveat that this may not resolve the issue! And if that didn't work try replacing the compressor! Again none is giving me a guarantee that they will be able to get the system running.

So I'm not happy with the service, the fact that my installer is out of business only compounds the issue. I';ve emailed Neura in Austria asking for a service agent in Ireland but to date have received no response. A colleague of mine has phoned them but only gets an answering machine.

I supervised the install of the ground collectors myself, ensuring that they were laid in several inches of sand, covered with more sand, then I hand filled the initial covering of soil before filling the trench. So I don't think the issue is with the collector install. The house itself has underfloor heating pipes placed uniformly 6-8 inches apart, and each loop is well within the max length advised. Other than having circulating pumps fail regularly, the rest of the system has performed flawlessly for over 6 years so I'm concerned now, given all the posts on Boards.ie and other fora, that the system will give more trouble going forwards.

What seems extraordinary to me is that so many people in Ireland have issues with these systems and have not gotten together to force the manufacturer to provide better service, or advice, or even reduced prices on replacement parts. These systems were advertised as a long-term, cost efficient, eco-friendly home heating solution but it appears to have turned into a nightmare for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kilowhiskey

Hi, I also have a neura system and have had a great deal of problems with getting any help from the Irish agent. But I see that there is a new agents for Neura in Ireland and wondered if anyone has had any feedback on how good/bad they are.
    They're quite expensive, but if thay can do the job I'd live with it. They want €60 call out fee (fair enough ) but want a credit card invoice of €500 before they begin any work. And you have to sign a service agreement.

All this is fine by me if they're any good. They are:-
    Tech Refridgeration and Air Conditioning in Dublin. They say they've been Neura agents for 6 months now.

Anybody had any experience of them?....

KW

PM sent there now

Hi, I also have a neura system and have had a great deal of problems with getting any help from the Irish agent. But I see that there is a new agents for Neura in Ireland and wondered if anyone has had any feedback on how good/bad they are.
    They're quite expensive, but if thay can do the job I'd live with it. They want €60 call out fee (fair enough ) but want a credit card invoice of €500 before they begin any work. And you have to sign a service agreement.

All this is fine by me if they're any good. They are:-
    Tech Refridgeration and Air Conditioning in Dublin. They say they've been Neura agents for 6 months now.

KW

• Advertisement

mchammer wrote: »
    Hi Could you send me a link to the thread for the info please as I can't seem to find it.
    I too have a neura heatpump and the powerflex 4 inverter is acting up after lightning storm around xmas - not sure how to troubleshoot it either as there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows much about them from what i see. The error that is occurring on startup in an F5 error stored in d008 parameter.

Hi mchammer,

The F5 error is an overvoltage fault but not from your inverter, it appears that this type of fault can occur if the heat pump compressor "overruns" (it's called back-emf I believe). It's not an inverter fault, here;s the fault information from the Allen Bradley manual for the F5 fault code.

Monitor the AC line for high line
    voltage or transient conditions. Bus
    overvoltage can also be caused by
    motor regeneration. Extend the
    decel time or install dynamic brake
    option.

You can clear the fault codes and try restarting the pump. If the fault persists then look to the compressor pump for the issue, but it may be as easy as increasing the deceleration time parameter ( Code P040 value ) in the Powerflex unit for your heat pump.

For information an Allen Bradley 3-phase Powerflex 4 invertor is available from RS Components for €230 (+postage and vat), any competent electician should be able to replace it. But ensure all the program parameters from the old one are noted down as these were optimised to suit your installation and need to transferred to the new one.

Hope this helps

KW

Thanks Kilowhiskey - i have learnt a fair bit since posting that query. The main one is that the customisation Neura have done to the inverter means an off the shelf replacement wont work.The customisation in particular is supplying DC power to the inverter by way of a rectifier which is placed in the inverter after the RF filter. The also have water cooled the inverter. My inverter blew entirely after posting that but i don't believe it had anything to do with back emf which might occur on stopping the compressor. the error i got was always when trying to start the compressor and not when it was running or shutting down. My setup might be different to your though - The link below is just to an image of my setup

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35344271/heatpump.jpg

As i see it I know have three options.

1. Try to fix original inverter - Have a electrical engineer testing it at the moment
    2. Buy new inverter and make modifications to match Neura's
    3. Buy off the shelf inverter and rewire control unit to fit and try to run heatpump on manual

If i don't get it going for next winter i will be burning turf and coal in a solid fuel boiler... I haven't had any heat except a wood stove the past 2 months and thanks to fairly high insulation levels we are still comfortable enough.. at least the mrs isn't complaining too much

Hi mchammer,

The F5 error is an overvoltage fault but not from your inverter, it appears that this type of fault can occur if the heat pump compressor "overruns" (it's called back-emf I believe). It's not an inverter fault, here;s the fault information from the Allen Bradley manual for the F5 fault code.

option.

You can clear the fault codes and try restarting the pump. If the fault persists then look to the compressor pump for the issue, but it may be as easy as increasing the deceleration time parameter ( Code P040 value ) in the Powerflex unit for your heat pump.

For information an Allen Bradley 3-phase Powerflex 4 invertor is available from RS Components for €230 (+postage and vat), any competent electician should be able to replace it. But ensure all the program parameters from the old one are noted down as these were optimised to suit your installation and need to transferred to the new one.

Hope this helps

KW

Hi mchammer.

Yes your control unit is quite different from mine. Mine's a Neura Therm controller, which controls a heat pump for heating and a separate domestic hot water heat pump. I've been without heating for week now and like you heating with two wood burners so have remained comfortable at least. But I do have hot water at least.
    Had a local guy with a very good reputation on geothermal come round and take a look at it. He's fairly sure that I need re-gassed and secondly there may be a problem with the heat exchanger, but he'd only know for certain after the refridgerant was replenished.
    He was very switched-on guy and knew a lot of background on Neura systems and the earlier agents Ecoheat in carlow although he's not a Neura engineer.

So he's arranging for someone to carry out a re-charge of my system and we'll see what happens. I asked him what was best option if wanted to remove the Neura system, he said a few people he knows have replaced them with Air sourced systems and these are working very well. I may consider this route if this Neura system cannot be made operational at a reasonable cost.

Anyway, wish you best of luck getting your system fixed.

KW

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

Hi mchammer,

option.

Hope this helps

KW

The unit from Rs components will not work on the neura, the unit has been adapted in the factory to include a rectifier as the inverter is running on single phase,
    I've been to two houses that tried in desperation and in the end just wasted €250, it's a case of neura having their two major components( compressor and inverter) modified to such an extent that they can only be sourced direct and customers being held to ransom by all involved

Tommyboy08 wrote: »
    The unit from Rs components will not work on the neura, the unit has been adapted in the factory to include a rectifier as the inverter is running on single phase,
    I've been to two houses that tried in desperation and in the end just wasted €250, it's a case of neura having their two major components( compressor and inverter) modified to such an extent that they can only be sourced direct and customers being held to ransom by all involved
    Hi TommyBoy,

Thanks for that correction to my post. Is that why my invertor is a 3-phase model from the part number but I certainly don't have a 3-phase supply?. Allen Bradly do have single phase units so its not because they're unavailable.
    Anyone know why they do this?, maybe their compressors must have 3-phase control and power supply, but most domestic supplies are single phase.

Certainly agree that we're all being ripped off...

KW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

They are:-

KW
    Stay well clear of this shower. They ripped me off to the tune of 2k for a compressor, that I'd clearly did'nt need, and still showing same fault (F5). They have not a clue what the issue is and now are looking for another 2k to send the controller back to Neura to fix. Which I had asked them to do from the start. Beware of the advice they and document and question everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amandasphi

The inverter controlled geothermal air conditioners are always beneficial as compared to non-inverter as they provide more stability and reaches the comfort zone quickly. You should contact Amtekair, as they are best in installing geothermal ac's at an economical rate. I have also attached a file which gives you the detailed advantages of inverter controlled ac in terms of car. But, the structure and working of inverter is same in both car and apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 poppy12345

Hi

We are having similar problems with our Neura heatpump (geothermal heating).

System was installed in 2006. On 23rd December 2013 the compressor broke down. After a month of dealing with Tech (Irish service agent) and Neura directly in Austria - we had the compressor replaced free but paid astronomical service fees to Tech. Both were a living nightmare to try and deal with.

In April 2014 the compressor broke again. This time Tech said the oil had leaked into our ground loops and the system was contaminated and we would need a completely new system like air to water which would be likely to cost 10k. Tech and Neura have fallen out since then. Tech paid us back almost all the money we had paid them since December and have said they will have no more to do with us.

We did find out about a family in Kilkenny who had an air to water system installed by Neura. They apparently had the same problem as us and had been through 5 compressors.

We are now dealing directly with Neura who are doing all they can to put us on the long finger - here we are 30 days later with no heating and a 2 week old baby. They keep giving us the line that they only sell the heatpumps and any other problem is not theirs to deal with. Surely, it is up to them to have a service agent in place and someone we can deal with. They have said they will offer us the air to water system like the family in Kilkenny however getting the solid details on this has proved impossible. They are now saying they are putting a new service agent in place to deal with the problem. This is not happening any way quickly. I have spoken to the CEO, technical support and an engineer on a regular basis with only minor results.

So my main queries are:

Has anyone managed to get Neura to make good their heating problem?

Has anyone followed this matter up legally and had some success? We feel there is a case but of course there is the trade off of time and cost involved to pursue it.

What are the alternatives? We have priced other air to water systems but they are too expensive for us at this time. We are trying to persist with Neura but it is very frustrating to date.

Did the pressure group ever get off the ground? There seems to be a large number of unhappy customers.

Thanks for any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Our inverter has just gone with the recent electrical storms . Has anyone looked into putting in a surge protector to protect the system from a power surge . Apparently the contract has gone from that refridgeration crowd in dublin to some guy in Mayo . Anyone have any experience of dealing with him ?appreciate any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

This isn't funny .... Just had inverter AND compressor replaced after recent electrical storm 2 months ago and now it's on the blink again giving an error on the inverter of E.lud . Anyone have any ideas ...? Would be much appreciated

Jimmy

• Advertisement

mchammer wrote: »

Hi machammer, I just wanted to ask if you ever got the F5 problem resolved in your Neura system as it was some time ago now. I too have had this problem come up 2 months ago, seems like I've now been hit with the same fault as other with Neura inverters. Neura seem to have gone out of business so there's no point in persuing them so I'd be interested in how you managed to resolve the problem, if at all.

Hi there,

indeed i did get it working again. it turned out to be the resistors which are quite undersized and should be replaced by higher rated resistors. what happens is the resistors are used to limited the current to the cap bank as a kind of charge limiter. if the resistors are blown the caps can get overcharged i believe. if both resistors are blown the fuse will trip at the board when you turn it on as what is happening is a shock charge on the cap bank.

I have also changed my caps just in the past month with caps that have a longer lifetime as some of mine were bulging. I am going into the 9th year heating the house with it and luckily enough for me it is still heating the house bar the odd few hiccups (hope i can keep it going for few more). I am lucky in that my neighbour is a electrical engineer and was able to understand the system and where it was going wrong. Only for him i would have chucked it out a while back...

Thanks for that, its very useful information. I've checked the capacitor bank which appears to be 4 blocks of 4off 470uF 400v electrolytic capacitors in each ( having polarity marks on them ). They seem in good condition but capacitors are notoriously difficult to test except when in the circuit, so there could still be a fault there.
    The make is not a known one to me ( I was an electronics engineer for 40 years ) and therefore probably a cheap manufacturer. To replace with known good brand would cost about €120 in parts and may be worth just trying.
    There is a resistor block ( two paralleled 11watt 32ohm ) on the panel wiring and these may be the current limiting resistors your referring to but I'm not sure as these are out on the panel and not in the Allen Bradly modified section. Tested these and they seems to be OK ( measured ~16ohm across terminals ). Also it's possible to setup the display in the Allen Bradly to show the DC bus voltage value. When applying power this shows the value ramp up to 660v in about 8 secs. Also when turning off power the display shows the discharging voltage down to about 100v when the Allen Brady shuts off.
    Are your in-rush limit resistors inside the Allen Brady controller?.

The technical spec for the F5 fault for the Allen Bradly unit states that the overvoltage fault is tripped when the DC bus is above 850v so the dc bus voltage is way below this also it trips immediately when you start it so can't be due to motor regeneration. So for now I'm no closer to finding out exactly what the problem is on mine.

It seems that this fault is very common but there is little or no information as to it cause. If we had more information say schematics of the modifications we could maybe help others out there who are also victims of the problem. It seems Neura are no longer in existence, in it's present form anyway, so I think all hope of manufacturer support is now gone.

Thanks once again and good job on getting yours working.

Ken

Are your in-rush limit resistors inside the Allen Brady controller?

Sorry only replying now... no they are outside of it in the main control panel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35344271/heatpump.jpg they are located outside the controller in the main control panel

These are the capacitors I purchased..
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/8384909/

best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blacksky

Anyone any experience of a compressor fault with a neura Heatpump. Getting conflicting advice on how to proceed. One guy says I should replace the compressor and change from 3 phase to single despite paying 1400 euro two years ago to replace the inverter. He quotes 2000. Another guy recommends fitting compressor to replace the existing one and quotes 1800. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 natho9512

I got my neura fixed 2 years ago. I had my compressor changed to a different type of 3 phase compressor this has now started to problems. I am just wondering who is looking after these units now?

I have a guy calling on Thursday to replace my three phase compressor. If you wish you can p.m me and I will let you know how I got and give you his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 natho9512

Blacksky wrote: »
    I have a guy calling on Thursday to replace my three phase compressor. If you wish you can p.m me and I will let you know how I got and give you his details.

As I stated above I hade my compressor replaced for a 3 phase 2 years ago and it has already started acting up. Do you still have the details of the company that said they would swap it for a single phase? I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say. Thanks

This guy is on the neura website as the service agent in Ireland.
    086 6019170

• Advertisement
Advertisement