Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Laura and Delpo should play doubles with their bionic wrists next year :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Really hope we don't get to see he and Nadal play each other much in the next few months.

That result just now is quite interesting though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ferrer meets Stan in semis. Federer pulled through in 3 vs. Tsonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can't believe Nadal was beaten on clay. He is starting to loose in cloak of invincibility now. I'd say Novak is dying to get him at the French open.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Something doesn't seem to be quite right with Nadal, since the AO final. He committed nearly 50 unforced errors in two sets (albeit very long ones) which is unusual for him. Ferrer did play very well though in fairness.

I think Novak will win Rolland Garros this year as well, he came so close last year, but I hope he doesn't dominate the tour for the rest of the year if Nadal is not there to challenge him. I found following tennis in 2011 unbelievably boring :(

Really annoyed that Tsonga couldn't beat Federer! He was 2 points away!! He saved 17 out of 19 break points though which is pretty impressive, just couldn't keep it up right to the very end. Hopefully he will gain some much needed confidence from this week and find some form leading up to the FO. I know it is almost definitely never going to happen but I would love to see Tsonga win in Paris, that would be incredible!

• Advertisement

Djokovic lost the first set in his match playing awful but from 3-3 in the second set he has been on fire. Won the second 6-3 and winning the third 3-0. Can't see him loosing this match now but this guy Lopez is putting up a good fight.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Floppybits wrote: »
    Djokovic lost the first set in his match playing awful but from 3-3 in the second set he has been on fire. Won the second 6-3 and winning the third 3-0. Can't see him loosing this match now but this guy Lopez is putting up a good fight.:)

Garcia lopez has beaten Rafa and Murray before so he can be quite dangerous, Novak just to good in the end.

Just looking at Wawrinka and Ferrer here and it looks like Wawrinka is carrying a bit of extra weight. He certainly doesn't look as fit as he did in Australia, then again it could be the clothing.

I think Stan always looks chubby. I was surprised to see him with his shirt off a while ago because he was surprisingly well toned underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

Nice win for Fed, chance now to claim his first Monte Carlo title, though with the form that Wawrinka is in it will be far from easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic has a wrist injury, which is very concerning. Says he's taking a break from tennis but he didn't say how long for. Hope he doesn't have to miss RG.

Genie refused to shake an opponent's hand during a Fed cup press conference. Hardly the smartest move.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/genie-bouchard-gives-opposing-slovak-fed-cup-bulletin-022356714.html

Donna Vekic will play her 3rd final tomorrow, incredible since she's just 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Ah, the wrist! Rears its ugly head again. RG is still a good bit off. If he actually rests (i.e. NO practice whatsoever) he might be okay. Hate when players say they're resting because of injury, then post pics of themselves in practice on Instagram! You need your body healthy to do your job ffs!! Pretty heavy taping on the Nole wrist and forearm today though....could be more serious than he's saying.

What's up with Genie these days?? Teen hormones?

Nobody really seems to be mentioning Vekic anymore. All about Genie, Keys, Stephens etc. She might prefer it that way thought tbh, less pressure.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    Ah, the wrist! Rears its ugly head again. RG is still a good bit off. If he actually rests (i.e. NO practice whatsoever) he might be okay. Hate when players say they're resting because of injury, then post pics of themselves in practice on Instagram! You need your body healthy to do your job ffs!! Pretty heavy taping on the Nole wrist and forearm today though....could be more serious than he's saying.

What's up with Genie these days?? Teen hormones?

Nobody really seems to be mentioning Vekic anymore. All about Genie, Keys, Stephens etc. She might prefer it that way thought tbh, less pressure.

Fun fact: Vekic has reached more finals than all three of them combined!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Very tight match till the 3rd set, but Wawrinka is strolling to it now, incredible display. Great prospects for him in the clay season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

Dissapointed for Fed not to win his first Monte Carlo title but pleased for Stan. No reason why Stan can't win the French Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Stan is fast becoming one of my favourite players on the tour; great attitude on and off the court, seems like a nice guy and he is putting in the hard work and reeping the rewards!

As I think the previous poster said, there is no reason whatsoever why he cant win Rolland Garros. So pleased for him.

Eugenie Bouchard has gone down a lot in my estimation since that incident. It just made her come off as downright rude. If you dont like the tradition, tough, suck it up, dont act like a spoilt child!

I don't really see the big deal with the whole Genie handshake thing. She shook hands with her at the pennant exchange thingy and after their match, how many times do they need to shake hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Announced on his FB page, Novak and Jelena are going to be parents!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

What is going on with Nadal!

If Novak is out for abit, Nadal struggles to find form, Federer chooses to skip the FO for family as he is prepared to do, Stan could almost walk to his 2nd GS if he keeps up some form, or Ferrer could almost win his first!

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is going on with Nadal!

If Novak is out for abit, Nadal struggles to find form, Federer chooses to skip the FO for family as he is prepared to do, Stan could almost walk to his 2nd GS if he keeps up some form, or Ferrer could almost win his first!

Novak's planning to play Madrid next week. Said his wrist isn't as bad as he thought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

omg Nadal was 1/33 when I stopped watching :eek:

Nadal is a bit puzzling at the moment, but it's too early to say if he might be in danger of losing his RG crown. Even is he has a bad Madrid/Rome, it'd be no surprise to see him waltz to another RG crown.

Fantastic to see Sharapova playing well on the dirt, into another final :)

RosyLily wrote: »
    Announced on his FB page, Novak and Jelena are going to be parents!:)

Jesus can't believe no-one even acknowledged your post!

Delighted for the both of them, but disappointed to see so many comments across the net criticising the fact they're not married :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fantastic to see Sharapova playing well on the dirt, into another final :)

Was reading earlier she's won 49 of her last 50 matches on clay against opponents other than Serena. That's actually an amazing record for someone apparently known for being terrible on clay.

^ Perhaps a bit premature of me, but with Vika seemingly out of the picture (she's withdrawn from Madrid & Rome) and if she can avoid Serena, Sharapova will likely be the one to beat in Paris. Would be so excited to see her win another slam :)

^ Only problem is her ranking has dropped way down so she could face a tough draw, maybe even get Serena early on. I don't think Serena has played since she lost early in Charleston (?) and was going on about being exhausted and needing a rest, so who knows where she is mentally. She'd probably still beat Maria even if she was half dead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Jesus can't believe no-one even acknowledged your post!

Delighted for the both of them, but disappointed to see so many comments across the net criticising the fact they're not married :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My mom told me that Novak did marry Jelena, and that Andy Murray was his best man? Where did she get that? :pac: I'm delighted for them too :)

My mom told me that Novak did marry Jelena, and that Andy Murray was his best man? Where did she get that? :pac: I'm delighted for them too :)

There was a rumour maybe 2 years ago that Novak and Jelena were going to get married in the off season and Andy Murray was going to be best man. No idea where it came from but there was no truth in it. They only got engaged quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

There was a rumour maybe 2 years ago that Novak and Jelena were going to get married in the off season and Andy Murray was going to be best man. No idea where it came from but there was no truth in it. They only got engaged quite recently.

Haha, thanks, good to know she didn't pluck it out of mid-air :pac:

• Advertisement

This is kind of cute :) Dimitrov just posted this on his twitter page, with the caption "no, you did it." (he won a title yesterday too)
    BmUe1JDIUAIQ6lR.jpg

Advertisement