Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Gardai have the right to stop and read through your phone?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

JG009 wrote: »
    My point was what makes you think they should be allowed to go through phones as they please. You said yourself in a post you are not obliged to give them the pin/codes so why should you? Its not really relevant if its incriminating or not. Its my phone and if I don't feel like giving you the pin I am going to stand by that. Any gard that asks me for a pin can go and whistle.

If they really want to get into your phone they will. If there's nothing in it it is in your own interest to speed up the process by giving the pin.

I never said they should be allowed go through phones as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Man - you roll over easy.

There's a good boy.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Man - you roll over easy.

There's a good boy.

Is there supposed to be some pride in being difficult for the hell of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Man, there is some serious paranoia in this thread.

If the Gardaí want to read my texts, sure let them... lets see what's on my phone now: texts to my girlfriend about buying vodka in Superqunn or O'Briens (RIVETING!), a few texts to co-workers about meeting for coffee (INCRIMINATING!), a very nice conversation with my mother about my parents' 30th wedding anniversary (SCANDALOUS!) and a text from UPC telling my my bill is due (DUN DUN DUNNNN).

Seriously, what kind of things are you people texting about that you're afraid for a Garda to see!? "Good thing we cooked all that meth last night and gave it out to kids at the local primary school!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

depends... the can seize / examine anything which tehy believe is evidence to an arrestable offence....

Section 7 Criminal Jutice Act 2006 allows this....
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0026/sec0007.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Best thing to do under questionable circumstances is call your solicitor for advise, on your mobile phone.

Would certainly not trust the guards.

Man, there is some serious paranoia in this thread.

If the Gardaí want to read my texts, sure let them... lets see what's on my phone now: texts to my girlfriend about buying vodka in Superqunn or O'Briens (RIVETING!), a few texts to co-workers about meeting for coffee (INCRIMINATING!), a very nice conversation with my mother about my parents' 30th wedding anniversary (SCANDALOUS!) and a text from UPC telling my my bill is due (DUN DUN DUNNNN).

Where do you draw the line? Would you allow people to see your medical records? Am I allowed to watch you take a shower. And video it. And put it on the internet?
    Do you not value privacy or civil liberties at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

Best thing to do under questionable circumstances is call your solicitor for advise, on your mobile phone.

Would certainly not trust the guards.

i think if they are taking your phone you dont get a choice to use it 1st... i think its taken right then for obvious reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Where do you draw the line? Would you allow people to see your medical records? Am I allowed to watch you take a shower. And video it. And put it on the internet?
    Do you not value privacy or civil liberties at all?
    Total apples and oranges comparison. The people spouting on about "civil liberties" are usually the ones who understand the concept the least.

Total apples and oranges comparison. The people spouting on about "civil liberties" are usually the ones who understand the concept the least.
    Explain how it is a 'total apples and oranges' comparison.

Someone that believes the two examples are completely unconnected probably understands little about civil liberties.

• Advertisement

Explain how it is a 'total apples and oranges' comparison.

Someone that believes the two examples are completely unconnected probably understands little about civil liberties.

If you cant see a difference between a Garda using a lwaful power or requesting with a valid reason to look through someones phone and a stranger videoing someone without their knowledge and posting it on the internet then it's unlikely anyone here will have the ability or patience to explain it to you.

MagicSean wrote: »
    If you cant see a difference between a Garda using a lwaful power or requesting with a valid reason to look through someones phone and a stranger videoing someone without their knowledge and posting it on the internet then it's unlikely anyone here will have the ability or patience to explain it to you.

'Lawful power' and 'valid reason'
    These are the important terms you have used.

If an action is lawful in a certain jurisdiction, it does not automatically mean that it does not contravene civil liberties. If someone's right to privacy is being infringed, then this is an invasion of civil liberties.

Throughout history we see where people's rights are legally being infringed. Slavery was once legal, for example. This is at the other end of the scale, but it is still contravening civil liberties, just the same as the privacy example cited by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Never put your dealers number under their name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was 12 years ago, dude. I'd say they're over it now.

Advertisement