Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possibility of more cold weather from the 9th of March

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Harps wrote: »
    Well, for the record it snowed here last night, didnt stick but there was wet snow when I went to bed.

I am delighted to hear that there was some snow falling there, I made a little prediction 3 days ago that Letterkenny might see some action... now i know i mentioned more snow than what you have had so far but time will tell if there is more to come. I see MT has included some possible snow in his forecast.

For the record, the good natured bantering over and back about will it / won't it snow is usually fun but things seem a bit tense in here, and appear to be taking on an edge. I would love things to settle back into the more easy going atmosphere where disagreements are based on models and trends and not on posts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Bring back the old weather forum pre-winter 2010-2011. It seems to have attracted alot of weather moaners.
    I have been put off the forum altogether. All I bother checking is MTs forecast because there is no backchat.
    Anyway I hope anyone that gets snow enjoys it. I know I'm too low to get any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BBC weather just forecast disruptive snowfall for NI and Scotland for tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The hills here have a wee coating of snow :)

Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Armagh
    Co Derry
    Co Down
    Co Fermanagh
    Co Tyrone
    Heavy Snow Fri 11 Mar

Rain spreading from the southwest is likely to turn to snow across parts of northern England, Northern Ireland, southern and central Scotland through Friday afternoon and evening. There is the potential for 5 to 10cm of snow, mainly over hills but with a risk of similar amounts at lower levels later.

Issued at: 1043 Thu 10 Mar
    Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Derry
    Heavy Snow Sat 12 Mar

Heavy snow over parts of Northern Ireland and southern Scotland, will probably extend northwards across Scotland during Saturday, with the potential for a further 5 to 10 cm of snow. There is a risk that as much as 20 to 30 cm of snow could accumulate in places, more especially over higher ground. The snow will probably ease and turn to rain through the day across southern Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Issued at: 1126 Thu 10 M

• Advertisement

Good looking out Irish,
    Just seen the bbc forecast ,excellent forecast, they zoomed in on NI and said theres concerns for tomorrow evening for some serious snow. He said they dont know how much will fall but it will be disruptive ;)
    Only thing is it didnt have the white stuff over Donegal from what I seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The graphic here is showing some serious snow for most of Ulster, dont see where this has suddenly come from and I'd still be surprised to see anything much at lower levels but interesting none the less

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10094

Harps wrote: »
    The graphic here is showing some serious snow for most of Ulster, dont see where this has suddenly come from and I'd still be surprised to see anything much at lower levels but interesting none the less

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10094
    Typical its as if the exact Donegal border was taken out of the snow line lol

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

after all the people saying "there will be no more snow this winter" , there wrong already :) . few places have got small amounts already but its still snow , an potential for a nice amount of snow to fall up north friday an saturday.
    there was always goin to be some snowfall weather it be big or small.. i remember waking up one morning in mid april last year there was a covering of snow ... can never really be under estimated..;)

4-6 Inches given for Northern Ireland NI newsline just said, predominatly over high ground but on lower levels too. They said it is a fast changing scenario so to stay tuned to the forecasts.
    RTEs forecast was very bland on the snow front , nothing about potential disruptive snowfall , but said there will be sleet or snow on the high ground in the N and NW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Id love to see more snow in Dublin, but I think its very unlikely

m50 tallaght, is that snow http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Belfast Aldergrove TAF to 6pm tomorrow gives rain with just a slight chance of sleet showers. We could see some disruption in the higher mountain passes but I'm not so sure there'll be much in places like Belfast, Derry, etc.

Also, another thing unrelated: could we all try to watch our spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. It's very annoying to read posts in which the English is all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The good thing is the snow is suppose to stay up in the northern part of the country - Connacht and Ulster.
    Milder for the southern half of the country. GFS shows snow for the northern half but then it should be rain later on in the period - 1pm Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I am going along with the BBC forecast for Ulster. They have said it will be rain at first then when the heavier precip moves in could readily change to snow over large parts of Ulster in the evening around rush hour on.

Very interesting set-up anyway. Should be good to hear the reports. (hopefully not on the radio of people stuck trying to get back from work of course lol :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

In this morning's TAFs only Connaught Airport (203 masl) has a mention of light snow from 7pm this evening. Aldergrove has a medium chance of sleet from 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Su Campu wrote: »
    Belfast Aldergrove TAF to 6pm tomorrow gives rain with just a slight chance of sleet showers. We could see some disruption in the higher mountain passes but I'm not so sure there'll be much in places like Belfast, Derry, etc.

Also, another thing unrelated: could we all try to watch our spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. It's very annoying to read posts in which the English is all over the place.

Hear! Hear! It makes it so much easier to read, and I'm sure those who do not have English as their first language would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah the 6z GFS precipitation model (not the most reliable I know) shows snow for many from overnight all through Saturday.

Don't belive it myself but just reporting what the model says (though I wouldn't say no!)

See http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=36&mode=2 for example......

I'm just happy it will stay on the milder side around here.

Next week upto 14C according to Met Eireann and fairly decent weather to go with the temperatures :cool:

Min wrote: »
    I'm just happy it will stay on the milder side around here.

Next week upto 14C according to Met Eireann and fairly decent weather to go with the temperatures :cool:

Thats nothing to do with this thread! Stay on topic.

BBC weather screen has snow over Southwest of Ireland tonight aswell.
    Kerry and Cork.
    Not to mention -5 for Sunday from Met eireann. A dose of reality for those who said that the wintry weather was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

A dose of reality for those who said that the wintry weather was over.

fact

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Thats nothing to do with this thread! Stay on topic.

BBC weather screen has snow over Southwest of Ireland tonight aswell.
    Kerry and Cork.
    Not to mention -5 for Sunday from Met eireann. A dose of reality for those who said that the wintry weather was over.

It is not going to be a national event, BBC showed the mild air over this part of the country and that is part of this as the colder air will be over the northern half and later the western part of the country.

-5 at night is really just a blip, just a part of March many weathers as Sunday will get upto 9C in the south, with Monday and Tuesday upto 12C

Snow I'm afraid will be like Fianna Fáil these days.
    Keeping mainly to the higher ground.

-5 at night is really just a blip, just a part of March many weathers as Sunday will get upto 9C in the south, with Monday and Tuesday upto 12C
    Im not getting into a big debate again. Wintry weather is around this weekend and that is what this thread is about. You could say the sunny dry weather last week was a blip too once the rain comes back.

This thread is about this weekends wintry weather , anything else is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is not going to be a national event, BBC showed the mild air over this part of the country and that is part of this as the colder air will be over the northern half and later the western part of the country.

look away now Su:o

Min, i know you're just saying that because you don't want to get your hopes up;), but remember you live on high ground. Also I did warn you the Castlecomer was due heavy snow around the 14th of March:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

DarkJager wrote: »
    There is no snow coming this week, next week or anytime again until next Winter. End of story.
    owl-orly.jpg

:D:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Any slight shifts in the fronts progresson could mean we get some colder air in Leinster. Temps will drop true the evening.

look away now Su:o

Min, i know you're just saying that because you don't want to get your hopes up;), but remember you live on high ground. Also I did warn you the Castlecomer was due heavy snow around the 14th of March:pac:

Haha, I put up the deflective shields and prayed for mild weather...

I say we will get very little or nothing in the way of snow, it is mild here, at 9pm when out I could see the stars.
    The south east is the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Haha, I put up the deflective shields and prayed for mild weather...

I say we will get very little or nothing in the way of snow, it is mild here, at 9pm when out I could see the stars.
    The south east is the place to be.

the cold air will arrive in Castlecomer eventually. so don't give up hope of seeing some of the white stuff just yet:D

i hope to read of your unbridled joy due to snow tomorrow:pac:

the cold air will arrive in Castlecomer eventually. so don't give up hope of seeing some of the white stuff just yet:D

i hope to read of your unbridled joy due to snow tomorrow:pac:

I might not be able to contain myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Some interesting recent ME reports: Dublin Airport 8c with a southerly and Mullingar about 40 miles away 2c in a NE.

Advertisement