Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Laptop

• 08-09-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Well I know this seems rather lazy, but it's really because I know very little about laptops or any of that. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Budget : Less than 800
    Intended use: College work, but I also want to play some counterstrike on it. ( System requirements from the site: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection)
    Warranty not pushed

So I'm wondering which laptop will best fit this. THe college work could probably be done on any internet computer, so the real goal here I think is just to be able to play onlien games comfortably :) . I don't know if that's even possible in the price range though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

How bout this Dell, 17in HD screen, 3GB RAM, 256MB graphics etc... Less than €800...

Studio 17 (N0973503)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English 789.01 Base Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) Microsoft Operating System Windows Vista®HomePremium Memory 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650 Hard Drive 320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n) Cables 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK Shipping Documents English - Documentation Studio 1735 Primary Battery Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery Camera 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL Colour Choice Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Support Labels Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo LCD 17 Widescreen WXGA+ CCFL (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    Head

By the way, playing games online comfortably will also depend on what kind of an Internet connection you have, service provider etc...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well thanks, you order the whole laptop from dell right? or is there somewhere you can buy it?

Dell laptops are only available from their website (as far as I know, unless they have changed the habit of a lifetime) so yes that one would have to be bought from the website. Everything quoted is included in that price, even delivery, warranty etc...

You can quite easily customise laptops on their website to suit your budget, that just happened to be one that was "as is" so I didn't add in anything extra, plenty of scope though. Ya might want a smaller screen and a faster processor etc... so have a play and see how ya go...

Best of luck with it!

Head

PS: I only noticed just now that you weren't too bothered about a warranty. I would definitely recommend it, it makes things so much simpler if something goes wrong. As mentioned earlier it's included in the above price anyway. If you REALLY didnt want it you could probably phone in your order to Dell and ask them to remove it, saving you a few quid towards upgrading something else maybe? Not sure if you can remove it online though, but I do recommend you keep it...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Head wrote: »
    How bout this Dell, 17in HD screen, 3GB RAM, 256MB graphics etc... Less than €800...

Studio 17 (N0973503)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English 789.01 Base Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache) Microsoft Operating System Windows Vista®HomePremium Memory 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650 Hard Drive 320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n) Cables 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK Shipping Documents English - Documentation Studio 1735 Primary Battery Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery Camera 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL Colour Choice Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Support Labels Wireless Label (Dell Wireless Cards)- Core 2 Duo LCD 17 Widescreen WXGA+ CCFL (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    Head

Might want to contact Dell and see what the lead time is. I ordered mine last week and the estimated delivery date is 19th Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just to say, Dell laptops can be bought in the likes of Pcworld, i'm not sure what the prices are like, or whether they're the same as online. But you can certainly buy a large range of then in shops, from the inspiron to the studio, and i think i even saw a vostro 1510 the last time i was in PcWorld.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The dell studio's and vostros look very good at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Does anyonw know if the studio range is replacing the inspirons??

Advertisement