Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the best prospect in boxing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He has never fought anyone who has lost a fight so that is fairly impressive, but you would still have to question the level of opponents he is fighting over in Yemen. Wouldn't be to up to date on minimumweight though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Ranked just outside the top 10 by boxrec. His brutal, methodical body attack is the most impressive thing about him. Considering how much harder it is to score knockouts in the lower weight classes it shows just how heavy handed he is as well.

He's 40 next month. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Henno30 wrote: »
    Ranked just outside the top 10 by boxrec. His brutal, methodical body attack is the most impressive thing about him. Considering how much harder it is to score knockouts in the lower weight classes it shows just how heavy handed he is as well.

The funniest thing is his comments on his own Youtube channel and videos; calling out Anthony Joshua as a fraud and copycat :pac:
    has to be a piss-take though

• Advertisement

Pretty cool that he only fights undefeated opponents. Compare that to Mayweather who has only taken two '0's in his whole career. Raymi has taken nineteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

It's an impressive record but from the clip it looks like it's down to the opposition. He seems to leave his chin exposed a lot relying on his head movement to get him out of trouble.
    He got caught a few times there with little affect, I think when he steps up he'll be caught out for being so open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

....Is this a joke? He is terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

....Is this a joke? He is terrible

I'm confused. He looks like a retard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

No doubt in my mind he could carry that power with him up a few weight classes. Very excited to see what the future holds for him, the ease with which he took out a scary fighter in Dalbant suggests he could go very far. Granite chin too, he ate some bombs there and didn't flinch.

That was one of the most surreal videos I've seen. What the hell were they doing?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Quotes from his Youtube profile:
    Ali Raymi wrote:
    Thanks Steven. People forget that power is generated from a healthy fit body, attacking the body destroys everything, Body assault remains effective vs bigger guys, I don't lose accuracy/range because of head hunting which works only against fighters within range. I am an indoctrinated body puncher its my war ideology, its my sophisticated defense/offense, I destroyed some fancy looking fighters and neutralized their jab/lateral movement by attacking their nerve system & paralyzing them.

and:
    Ali Raymi wrote:
    I need to win a title first at 105 lbs, then I will use my status as a champion at 105 lbs to pressure other champions in other weight classes Rigo doesn't have enough reach to make his superb boxing skills useful against me. I am not going to even waste time to put on extra weight, once I win the first major title I will immediately start KOing undefeated champions from every weight class, Rigondeaux is the most decorated hence the most targeted, since he is more likely to accept my challenge

:D

Here's another of his previously unbeaten 1st rd KO victims:

moneyman wrote: »
    No doubt in my mind he could carry that power with him up a few weight classes. Very excited to see what the future holds for him, the ease with which he took out a scary fighter in Dalbant suggests he could go very far. Granite chin too, he ate some bombs there and didn't flinch.

He's facing an unbeaten guy at bantamweight in his next fight. It's like the weight classes don't matter to him. Not surprising when you see him go to work though. A lot of people talk about GGG's body punching these days but GGG doesn't put 6 or 7 shots together like this guy does. He doesn't have the hand speed anyway. When Raymi goes to the body he's like a switchboard operator. Devastating.

colly10 wrote: »
    It's an impressive record but from the clip it looks like it's down to the opposition. He seems to leave his chin exposed a lot relying on his head movement to get him out of trouble.
    He got caught a few times there with little affect, I think when he steps up he'll be caught out for being so open

Yeah, fair enough, he's got some holes in his game but that doesn't matter when you take in the full picture. It's not about doing everything by the book, it's about writing your own page and Raymi's doing just that. Go find a textbook boxer who's crumpled 19 consecutive opponents in the first round and you might be able to knock this guy.

Is this a joke?

He's all over the place fighting nobodies

Is this a joke?

He's all over the place fighting nobodies

He's ranked #11 on boxrec :rolleyes:

You go fight some 'nobodies' and get yourself ranked 11th in the world. Each and every one of his opponents was undefeated too by the way. Which is a strange definition of a 'nobody' if you ask me.

You have to remember that this is in the lower weight classes and these guys get little or no respect from the networks. Roman Gonzalez is one of the best ten fighters on the planet, and yet he's practically unknown because he fights at that weight. Look beyond the hype and look at the talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

That's the funniest fight I've seen all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

He is fighting tonight. Writing himself into history if he gets 20 first round ko's in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

He is fighting tonight. Writing himself into history if he gets 20 first round ko's in a row.

Is it PPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Most of the undefeated up and coming fighters he has faced have not got in a ring after he has destroyed them. His power must be something else. He will be into the top 10 with the WBO after his next KO1 and it will be great to see him bring a world title to his passionate Yemeni support.

pac_man wrote: »
    Just saw on Boxrec that he's now 20-0. That's 16 fights in 2013, quite impressive.

Holy fu*k he did it!!! Another unbeaten opponent too!

If it wasn't for the problems with his management in 2011 he'd be top 10 p4p by now. It's going to be massive when he faces off with Chocolatito. And as much as I love Gonzalez I honestly can't see how he's going to survive against an opponent like this. He just blew a full fledged bantamweight out in the first round. No one in those weight classes is surviving this guy's power.

Ali bomaye! #noblueprint

• Advertisement

Picture from outside the stadium today. The guy's a national hero already :D

He is going to be a hundred times bigger than Naz. Even more unorthodox, but with way more power.

_51843056_yemen_ap.jpg

His twitter account is better than Fury's :D
    @aliraymi

Undisputed champion = WBC+WBO+WBA+IBF
    I accept nothing less than complete submission of my adversaries. Polytheism will not be tolerated
    @aliraymi

@sweetboxing I will KO them all WBC, WBA, IBF & WBO, its all jokes and games. Until they get in the ring and feel the punches.

He also slated the IBO for not ranking him as highly as boxrec
    @aliraymi

@PeteyProfit That comment is the reason the International Bum Organization only ranks South Africans, Hickup Budler will always be a nobody

This is one of my favourites
    @aliraymi

@kylewilson1986 Boxing is dominated by outdated doctrines. I am the Tank and they are cavalry, I am the iron sword they are Bronze and stone

Get this guy on our TV screens now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Jaysus Henno, I normally like your posts, but while writing this thread you must have been on drugs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Holy fu*k he did it!!! Another unbeaten opponent too!

If it wasn't for the problems with his management in 2011 he'd be top 10 p4p by now. It's going to be massive when he faces off with Chocolatito. And as much as I love Gonzalez I honestly can't see how he's going to survive against an opponent like this. He just blew a full fledged bantamweight out in the first round. No one in those weight classes is surviving this guy's power.

Ali bomaye! #noblueprint

Originally a serious thread. Now you have realised the error of your ways and shamefully changed tack.

tumblr_mvpr5zoffb1rvn6njo1_500.gif

Facing Samson Dutch Boy 43-0 (36) next. Raymi will take his soul.

119z1nd.jpg

I'm confused of this is a joke or not

I'm confused of this is a joke or not

It's all jokes and games. Until they get in the ring and feel the punches.

- Ali Raymi

It's all jokes and games. Until they get in the ring and feel the punches.

- Ali Raymi

Well Imo he's ****

Samson Dutch Boy? He hasn't fought in over 10 years. lol.

• Advertisement

Well Imo he's ****

What's your record?

Advertisement