Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't imagine turning up the fan on my 360. Sounds like an out of control hairdryer at the best of times! Wanted to watch a film on it last night (Irish Netflix), but the fan was so loud I had to turn it off as I'd have woken up everyone in the house with the volume I'd have to have had the sound at :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

docentore wrote: »
    (I tried few times and failed, missed one or two balls probably :P)

the one you bought off me a couple of years back was my only ever RROD experience, the replacement arcade one we got (and stuck the original 20gb drive into) in is still going strong. bit of luck of the draw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is there a case to be made for de casing the 360 and building something custom to keep it cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is there a case to be made for de casing the 360 and building something custom to keep it cool?

there was, together with watercooling should prolong life of fat xbox for few extra years

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

JTAG 360 running at 100% fans - runs cool but it's very very loud. Especially when compared to the silent slim next to it. I did a little research about silent fans but came up empty (whisper silent 3rd party fans were not so silent after all).
    Is there anything that can be done?

Crazy that I'm more concerned about this modern console failing than I am about the ancient old NES, Megadrive, SNES etc. sitting beside it under the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

JTAG 360 running at 100% fans - runs cool but it's very very loud. Especially when compared to the silent slim next to it. I did a little research about silent fans but came up empty (whisper silent 3rd party fans were not so silent after all).
    Is there anything that can be done?

Crazy that I'm more concerned about this modern console failing than I am about the ancient old NES, Megadrive, SNES etc. sitting beside it under the TV.

Not sure about what fans work in the 360 but near silent fans do exist.
    I've a selection of fans in my pc that are pretty silent unless I'm doing some rendering or something like that then I have to crank them up a bit.

When I built my main pc I built it with the intention of keeping the noise levels as low as possible. So the fans exist but you will pay a lot more for them.
    What size and type of fans does the 360 use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Decasing it would mess up the airflow, you'd have to create ducts etc if decased.

They're very loud when fans are turned up, but if a stock one is loud enough to distract from a film then you'd have to wonder if its on the way out

EnterNow wrote: »
    Decasing it would mess up the airflow, you'd have to create ducts etc if decased.

They're very loud when fans are turned up, but if a stock one is loud enough to distract from a film then you'd have to wonder if its on the way out

It's very easy to liquid cool a PC these days with some very small and simple all in one systems.
    I wonder could you get one to work on the 360?

Something like this or a similar one maybe that might be rigged to the 360?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-AN&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2262

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Stick it in a bucket of oil, that'll keep it cool.

Stick it in a bucket of oil, that'll keep it cool.

I've always wanted to do it to a machine but never had the guts to submerge a couple of grands worth of tech in the oil :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Used to do it with welders before never done them much harm :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    It's very easy to liquid cool a PC these days with some very small and simple all in one systems.
    I wonder could you get one to work on the 360?

Something like this or a similar one maybe that might be rigged to the 360?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-AN&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2262

Solder God (Touching Virus) has been talking about water cooling a 360 for a while now...it can definitely be done alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There needs to be a routine way to keep these machines alive, into the future.
    I don't want to have to replace any more 360's!
    This is my 4th!

Actually, I have a toasted one from my brother in law, I think it's an old one, Manufactured in 06, no HDMI, but rrod'd.
    Any ideas what positive use I can put it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-ds-lite-game-boy-game-brand-new-and-sealed/2155280

Seen this game in Poundland in Enniskillen a couple weeks ago. On sale on adverts for €8

May suit any boxed Gameboy collectors/addicts, if ya happen to be up north.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

ahyeahok wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-ds-lite-game-boy-game-brand-new-and-sealed/2155280

Seen this game in Poundland in Enniskillen a couple weeks ago. On sale on adverts for €8

May suit any boxed Gameboy collectors/addicts, if ya happen to be up north.

These are in the Dealz shops also for €1.49 plus a few others they came from igamez.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

These are in the Dealz shops also for €1.49 plus a few others they came from igamez.co.uk

I didn't realise dealz & poundland are the same crowd, none in the west yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Why do cart-dumpers always go for the barely-started fan-hacks? I suppose they're not paying all that much attention to what they're nicking, but really, Bulbapedia have a fairly comprehensive list of well-received fan-hacks, that takes all of about two minutes to google.

I mean, it's a ****ty practice to profiteer off hobbyists, but for every one cart-dump of proper, finished, full fan-hacked games like Shiny Gold, there's bajillions of the likes of Perla and whatnot, with basic edits that only reach into about the first 10 minutes of gameplay, or whatever point the fan-hacker lost interest at, and just return to being the original game thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

All you are getting is the cab itself, flat packed, fittings included but, as the azd says, everything electrical is not included, including the controller and the monitor.
    Just as well really...

edit...
    These are the same cabs that the Gremlin Solutions are selling,
    http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/xarcade.php

Master of the Universe

Wow, so it's just some wood cut in a shape to resemble a cab? What a rip off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »

Not even a good looking cab in fairness, ive seen better flatpacks available.

Do you think you could build something that's cut and finished to a similar standard, sell it for cheaper and still make enough to cover your materials, manhours and also make a profit on top?

If you can't then its not really fair to call it a rip-off. If you build one for yourself at the weekend then you're not thinking of the manhour costs and the need to make a profit.

Not to mention ebay and paypal both rape you with fees so the seller isn't going to be getting anywhere near that price.

Master of the Universe

Do you think you could build something that's cut and finished to a similar standard, sell it for cheaper and still make enough to cover your materials, manhours and also make a profit on top?

If you can't then its not really fair to call it a rip-off. If you build one for yourself at the weekend then you're not thinking of the manhour costs and the need to make a profit.

Not to mention ebay and paypal both rape you with fees so the seller isn't going to be getting anywhere near that price.

You'd build something like this for one of two reasons -

For the love of it.
    To make a profit.

If you're building it for the love of it (manhours aside) you can make something far better than that for far less.

If you're building them to make a profit, that's a completely different story. Just because something takes a lot of man hours to put together does not mean the end product is worth the asking price. I could spend weeks building Brian Cowen's face out of match sticks. Does that mean the end product is worth the man hours I put into it?

It all comes down to whether or not people want such a product (and are willing to pay accordingly) This item (it's basically a glorified shelf) costs almost 450 euro. For that you could get a real fully functioning arcade machine.

Maybe the phrase 'waste of money' is more apt than 'rip off'.

You'd build something like this for one of two reasons -

For the love of it.
    To make a profit.

If you're building it for the love of it (manhours aside) you can make something far better than that for far less.

If you're building them to make a profit, that's a completely different story. Just because something takes a lot of man hours to put together does not mean the end product is worth the asking price. I could spend weeks building Brian Cowen's face out of match sticks. Does that mean the end product is worth the man hours I put into it?

It all comes down to whether or not people want such a product (and are willing to pay accordingly) This item (it's basically a glorified shelf) costs almost 450 euro. For that you could get a real fully functioning arcade machine.

Maybe the phrase 'waste of money' is more apt than 'rip off'.

You're damn right, I though i was the only one looking at and thinking "it's a funking shelf, WTF!".
    And you could definitely pick up some sort of real arcade machine for that kind of money.

I'm surprised someone call Serge in Ikea hasn't made one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/games/4048420

The condition of this makes me sad :(

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/games/4048420

The condition of this makes me sad :(

Jesus thats rough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

"Pristine" Zelda with ripped manual and marked box only 90 euro.

http://www.adverts.ie/2208102

Four boxed Pokemon games and a small assortment of other loose gameboy stuff, yours for only 800.:eek:

http://www.adverts.ie/2208218

Advertisement