Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Goats rue if guess.
    It's the precursor to metformin.

She recommended that to me. I ordered it from amazon yesterday so will see how I get on. Gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I used It, felt it helped. Expensive though.

I used It, felt it helped. Expensive though.

It is expensive but it's cheaper (and easier) than the pump rental.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It was Goats Rue indeed! She alsp recommended Saw Palmetto as an alternative to Goats Rue. She said take one or the other but not both together. I got them from a site called iHerb. The Goats Rue is very expensive so I'm giving the Saw Palmetto a shot because it's about half the price.

Toots wrote: »
    It was Goats Rue indeed! She alsp recommended Saw Palmetto as an alternative to Goats Rue. She said take one or the other but not both together. I got them from a site called iHerb. The Goats Rue is very expensive so I'm giving the Saw Palmetto a shot because it's about half the price.
    I was too cheap to pay the shipping from Iherb so I git them via amazon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

girls baby started solids a few weeks ago at bang on 6 months. He is wolfing into them. He is feeding from me less. How many feeds would be the norm? Today He has been going every 4 hours? (he feeds twice during the night at say 11pm and then 3am!). He started 3 meals a day today. Wet and dirty nappies are no problem and weighs around 9.5kgs (got weighed on friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Millem, I can’t speak from experience at my little boy is only 10 weeks but I do think that breastfed babies are used to managing their hunger and feeding so trust your baby and your body. As long as he is still having plenty of wet nappies I’m sure you are doing great.

We were at the PHN today for his three month check and he is spot on the 50th percentile for weight and has been gaining 260g a week consistently since he was born ... I’m delighted with us! He’s in the 75th percentile for height then so tall like his Mom and Dad :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Made it to my first milestone - 6 weeks! Still concerned that all of a sudden my milk will dry up and I've ordered a baby scales from Amazon to make sure she's gaining weight. My husband thinks I'm paranoid but it'll help put my mind at ease.

We're going to France in August for a fortnight with my family, so it'll be so handy not having to cart over a load of formula. We went away with my son when he was 7 months and it was a pain in the arse bringing tins of formula and bottles and all that. I'm wondering what the attitude is like regarding feeding in public over there. I haven't been in France in years. I know in Spain you can pretty much whip them out anywhere and nobody bats an eyelid. I remember being very impressed last year seeing a lady in the supermarket pushing her trolley with one hand and feeding her baby with the other.

Well done Toots! You might feel like your supply is lower now because after the 6 weeks your body regulates your supply so you don’t feel as full as before but as long as there are plenty of wet nappies (and the weight gain of course) you’re doing great!

I was thinking the same about travelling! We’re going away when he’s 6 months and it’s going to be tricky enough because we won’t be checking luggage (50 Euro a bag!).

Where are you heading? Oddly enough, I found that the one thing that was more expensive in Spain was nappies! We ran out one day before we left so we just bought some super cheapo ones to do us for the day.

• Advertisement

We’re going to Poland for a family wedding. I don’t know what it will be like because the accommodation was booked for us. Not a clue about location, nearby supermarkets or anything!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No issues with breastfeeding in France when we were there Toots. Formula was way more expensive than it is in the UK or Ireland though.

No issues with breastfeeding in France when we were there Toots. Formula was way more expensive than it is in the UK or Ireland though.

That's good to hear, at least I don't have to worry about bringing scarves or the like to cover up when I'm feeding her.

It's interesting about the formula being so expensive there, I never looked at the prices of it when I was in Spain because I'd brought loads over with me. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the same one over there so I just came prepared - took up most of my baggage allowance too! :pac:

girls do I have any chance on getting my guy to accept a bottle? He’s 7 months.
    I am wrecked as am feeding at least twice in the night.....older boy can wake any time from 5am!!!! Doctor said to try and give him a bottle of formula and baby rice before bed.
    Anyway the only person he will take a bottle from is 1 granny and I can’t be in house.....no one else. He took a bottle once for other granny when he was asleep at 11pm but no more success. He goes crazy if we try give him a bottle.

We have tried tommee tippee, avent, nuby, and spectra bottles.

He takes a few mouthfuls from his beaker and doidy cup and takes solids no problem;)

I’d say you’d be better off focusing on getting him to take it from a beaker/cup at this stage. You’d have to stop them in a few months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It’s hard when they won’t play ball with the bottles! Do any of those bottles you tried have a latex teat? That’s all mine would take.
    Other than that, I’d probably be just keeping going with the cup. Mine are whizzes with straw cups.
    Do you want to give a bottle to start weaning, or just to get a nights sleep?? I wouldn’t hold out too much hope that baby rice and formula will fix it.... it’s seen as a magic cure really, but I think some of them are just born to be bad sleepers 😢😢😢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Congrats toots! It's a great feeling when you meet a milestone/goal you've set for yourself. Next one is the 6month/starting solids, and if you can get that far it's a breeze afterwards!

Bee06, have you travelled with a baby before? We've travelled a few times with herself, and while it's grand, the next time we go anywhere I will 100% be checking in a bag. It's a pain in the hole (In our opinion anyways) having the bags of 3 people (possibly 5 bags if you travel with Ryanair) but essentially only one person to handle them when going through security and getting sorted on the plane, because one of you will almost certainly be out of action because they will be holding baby. I know €50 is expensive for a bag, but worth it for having less hassle imo.

Millem, I would definitely start trying to introduce a beaker. My little one was a rascal with bottles, but once we started her on solids we introduced a beaker. The best one I've come across and the one she took to the easiest is the nuby 360, and it's the only one that's grown with her properly from 6/7 months right up to now.

Thanks Scarepanda, we haven’t travelled with a baby before but it won’t be just the three of us. There will be 10 of us altogether because my whole family are travelling on the same flights. Definitely wouldn’t think about it otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Aw that's not so bad so! We usually have two backpack type hand luggage style bags on our backs (hard to explain, but amazing for travelling), and then a laptop style bag each and nappy bag. I baby wear, so I have herself on my front, backpack on my back and nappy bag across my shoulder. My OH then carries his two bags and the baby's clothes bag. It's fairly compact and easy to maneuver around, but man it's a pain in the ass at security and getting settled on the plane.

Also, figure out roughly how many nappies baby is going through a day and planning accordingly re your nappy supply. They take up sooooo much room in hand luggage even though they are not heavy, so you'll want enough, but not too many. We usually allow for an extra nappy/day which has always been more than enough for us.

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s hard when they won’t play ball with the bottles! Do any of those bottles you tried have a latex teat? That’s all mine would take.
    Other than that, I’d probably be just keeping going with the cup. Mine are whizzes with straw cups.
    Do you want to give a bottle to start weaning, or just to get a nights sleep?? I wouldn’t hold out too much hope that baby rice and formula will fix it.... it’s seen as a magic cure really, but I think some of them are just born to be bad sleepers ������

Really really really really need sleep. I am so exhausted. Even if I could sleep from 7pm-3am and husband could feed bottle at 11pm!
    I find breastfeeding handier during the day then the malarky of bottles and formula.
    I find it hard even going out by myself as need to be back to feed.

• Advertisement

Could you try a NUK bottle? Those are the teats they use in the hospital - the yellow latex ones - so it might feel a bit more "skin" like.

My little one won't take a bottle from me because I think she knows that when I'm feeding her the milk comes from boobs. She takes a bottle for my husband no bother, and my mum was minding her the other day and she took one for her although she did puke the entire thing up right afterwards.

I think my son thinks I’m a total weirdo! I’ve spent the last two days at his nose because he was all stuffed up. Saline drops, aspirator, humidifier ... the works. Finally sorted it with the miracle that is breastmilk!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Millem wrote: »
    Really really really really need sleep. I am so exhausted. Even if I could sleep from 7pm-3am and husband could feed bottle at 11pm!
    I find breastfeeding handier during the day then the malarky of bottles and formula.
    I find it hard even going out by myself as need to be back to feed.

Hi all new to the trend. My daughter is 11 weeks and won’t take a bottle consistently... sometimes she does but out of maybe 30 times we’ve tried she takes it about 6 times!

We have tried lots of bottles but the nuk bottke eity the orange teat seem to work the best! But she doesn’t enjoy it more just puts up with it!!!

It’s so hard cos I can never leave her and feel anyway relaxed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chel1989

Hi I gave birth to my son 15/03/2018 and now 11 days later I am being admitted to hospital with mastitis anyone else experience mastitis? I feel as if it's never going to get better so sore I can't feed from even massage the breast so can't see how I will get any better

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Chel1989 wrote: »
    Hi I gave birth to my son 15/03/2018 and now 11 days later I am being admitted to hospital with mastitis anyone else experience mastitis? I feel as if it's never going to get better so sore I can't feed from even massage the breast so can't see how I will get any better

Hi Chel1989

Sorry to hear you got mastitis especially 11 days after labour!

I got mastitis 3 weeks after I had my Little girl! Have you been given antibiotics?? I found after 48 hours of them I felt SOOOO much better!

I know it’s sore but you just have to keep feeding from the sore boob or expressing from it! What I did was take neurofen, take a really hot shower, let water flow over the sore boob in particular, 30 mins after taking the neurofen express from the sore boob.. it was painful and not a lot came out! Did it for maybe 3 days and on the third day I could feel a pop and literally could feel the duct unblocking! It was such a relief! So maybe the combination of antibiotics and expressing unblocked the duct!

Be careful not to ignore the other boob though either cos that could become blocked too!

It’s not nice but it does get easier! Take plenty of paracetamol to help with the pain! Best of luck

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had mastitis when my older son was 4 months old. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! The important things to remember are "heat, rest, empty breast" - you must keep feeding or at the very least expressing as it will only be even more painful otherwise. Hand expressing in a hot shower or using hot compresses on the breast will help. Make sure you go to your GP and get antibiotics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Hi all - I just started back at work three weeks ago. I am still EBF - introducing small bit of food but just a spoon or two a day so really baby is relying on my milk for the vast majority of her food intake. So - since returning I am trying to pump the milk she doesn't drink ( I work from 8.30am - 12.30pm and baby is at minder's house drinking expressed milk) However this is getting very difficult and less and less milk is coming out for me.

Breastfeeding has always been so easy for me but now I am hitting a wall - I am not producing enough for my baby and feeds are ending in tears (hers and mine) I do not want to stop breastfeeding so has anyone any solutions proven to increase supply. I put her on the breast all the time - I thought the supply would increase to meet her demands but I'm afraid the few hours I am away from her are ruining everything.

She has started refusing feeds in the morning and after the minders and is instead taking huge bottles of expressed milk at the minder's house. I am on two weeks holidays at the moment and saw this as an opportunity to get my supply up and get baby into a habit of taking morning feed and feed around 12 noon but it is not working and my supply is not increasing at all.

Can anyone help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

hcass wrote: »
    Hi all - I just started back at work three weeks ago. I am still EBF - introducing small bit of food but just a spoon or two a day so really baby is relying on my milk for the vast majority of her food intake. So - since returning I am trying to pump the milk she doesn't drink ( I work from 8.30am - 12.30pm and baby is at minder's house drinking expressed milk) However this is getting very difficult and less and less milk is coming out for me.

Breastfeeding has always been so easy for me but now I am hitting a wall - I am not producing enough for my baby and feeds are ending in tears (hers and mine) I do not want to stop breastfeeding so has anyone any solutions proven to increase supply. I put her on the breast all the time - I thought the supply would increase to meet her demands but I'm afraid the few hours I am away from her are ruining everything.

She has started refusing feeds in the morning and after the minders and is instead taking huge bottles of expressed milk at the minder's house. I am on two weeks holidays at the moment and saw this as an opportunity to get my supply up and get baby into a habit of taking morning feed and feed around 12 noon but it is not working and my supply is not increasing at all.

Can anyone help ?

This is probably going to sound like more questions than answers...and you may be doing some of this already so ignore if you are..... What age is she?

Is the minder doing paced bottle feeding? Babies can prefer the faster easier flow of the bottle so paced bottle feeding helps with that. Also use the slowest newborn teats in the bottle as these help slow the milk down.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound like more questions than answers...and you may be doing some of this already so ignore if you are..... What age is she?

Is the minder doing paced bottle feeding? Babies can prefer the faster easier flow of the bottle so paced bottle feeding helps with that. Also use the slowest newborn teats in the bottle as these help slow the milk down.

Can't believe I didn't say what age she is. She's two weeks off six months old. What is paced bottle feeds? She uses the newborn teeth.

Thanks for replying :)

• Advertisement

hcass wrote: »
    Can't believe I didn't say what age she is. She's two weeks off six months old. What is paced bottle feeds? She uses the newborn teeth.

Thanks for replying :)

This has an explanation https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

As Cakerbaker said if you don’t use paved bottle feeding they get used to the quicker flow of the bottle and get lazy and frustrated by the effort of getting the milk from the boob.

Advertisement