Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sexual partners have you had so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't doubt that you've defiled yourself 4 times in 6 hours!

Nah, I could defile myself 3 times an hour for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Snowie wrote: »
    really guess if that depends on the guy too.. Id be more interested in weather you are easy to talk to rather then your age...

Make no sense to worry about an age ...

Have you really got sweets in the back of your van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I once decided to take an STD test and inadvertantly left my "list" (the place I went encouraged you to make a list of former partners) in my jeans pocket, and my Mum found it. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't very stupidly headed it "Sex" with my first and most long term girlfriend listed on top.

I'm not going to mention my exact number but I'm very OK with it, mostly on grounds that I know the surnames of all my previous partners, which I think indicates at least some level of relationship before or after the event. I'm not particularly precious about sex, but I would feel bad about doing it with a girl whom I'd never speak to again.

Therefore even if they're just there somewhere on the back of my facebook, there remains some vaguely personal element to what we did. Not sure why that ought to matter but it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Pedant wrote: »
    Seriously, I'm been sexually active since I was 20 (I'm 21 now) and already been with 4. That's under a year! I'm a freakin' man-slut. Ugh! Now I understand why women fear being branded as sluts. I think I'll stop being and atheist an go to mass again, going to confession and bathing myself in holy water to cleanse me of my perversions and impurities.

I'm also only 21. I don't see anything wrong with that, people focus too much on the number rather than circumstance. I could go out and sleep with one person (not use protection) and get an STI but I could also go out sleep with 10 guys (use protection) and be grand. As long as a person is being safe (if it's a one night stand) then what does it matter? You shouldn't be too hard on yourself it isn't like it's illegal.

Fair f*cks to you for waiting until the age of 20 to do anything!

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    I'm also only 21. I don't see anything wrong with that, people focus too much on the number rather than circumstance. I could go out and sleep with one person (not use protection) and get an STI but I could also go out sleep with 10 guys (use protection) and be grand. As long as a person is being safe (if it's a one night stand) then what does it matter? You shouldn't be too hard on yourself it isn't like it's illegal.

Fair f*cks to you for waiting until the age of 20 to do anything!

I don't really see it as "ah sure, as long as it's safe, it's grand" (though being safe obviously matters), rather I look at the morality of it. If you share that physical intimacy with someone and then don't talk to them again there's this void and you feel empty. Then you're painted as a promiscuous slut and feel even more empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't really see it as "ah sure, as long as it's safe, it's grand", rather I look at the morality of it. If you share that physical intimacy with someone and then don't talk to them again there's this void and you feel empty. Then you're painted as a promiscuous slut and feel even more empty.

It all depends on your own concept of what sex is and means.

Some people see it as something 2 people do when they're attracted to each other. Kissing isn't seen as such a big deal. Other sexual activity isn't seen as such a big deal. But as soon as penetration is involved it's different.

There are people who just see sex as an extension of kissing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Numbers disaggregated between male and female and percentages recalculated.

Note that the age profile of boards.ie respondents may influence the gender gap.

Not as much difference as the rumours suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Well everyone has their own opinions and that's the way I see it. Sex is a personal thing and should only be between the people involved, when other people start sticking their nose in I'd tell them where to go.

Like I said, I've only slept with 4 lads and all of them were relationships, the shortest one being three months, I got to know them before sleeping with them. I have never been into one night stands and never will as far as I feel at present but I would never judge a person on having too many of them unless of course I knew for a fact that they were doing it unsafe and even at that it's their life so I can't imagine why people should care!

This is just the way I see it though and I'm not telling you how you should feel just explaining myself a little further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Have you really got sweets in the back of your van?

Don't you like own camper van? :D

Owned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

later12 wrote: »
    I once decided to take an STD test and inadvertantly left my "list" (the place I went encouraged you to make a list of former partners) in my jeans pocket, and my Mum found it. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't very stupidly headed it "Sex" with my first and most long term girlfriend listed on top.
    !

where did you do an STI test that they made you write down the names of your previous sexual partners? in a confession booth? or did you just make that up? because no STI clinic in ireland will ask you for that information, and i've had numerous STI tests done in numerous clinics over the many years i've been attending them.

did they also try to wedge a teaspoon into your "japs eye" or is that another spurious myth you'd like to perpetuate? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Numbers disaggregated between male and female and percentages recalculated.

Note that the age profile of boards.ie respondents may influence the gender gap.

Not as much difference as the rumours suggest.

I say that's due to the anonymous nature of the poll.

xsiborg wrote: »
    where did you do an STI test that they made you write down the names of your previous sexual partners? in a confession booth? or did you just make that up? because no STI clinic in ireland will ask you for that information, and i've had numerous STI tests done in numerous clinics over the many years i've been attending them.

did they also try to wedge a teaspoon into your "japs eye" or is that another spurious myth you'd like to perpetuate? :rolleyes:
    Relax, please.

I said they encouraged users of the service to make a list of previous partners. This wasn't supposed to be disclosed to anyone. It's just for the purposes of the user - presumably to reflect upon their sexual history, or maybe if there were anything untoward found in the subsequent test results.

And it was just the usual swab up the japs eye, no teaspoon required; thanks for your interest.

I've been to an STI clinic twice, the first was about 10 months ago. The second time I went (~6 months after the first time I went) they asked me about my sexual activity since my last appointment. They didn't ask for names though, just how many different people I was with and if I was aware of their sexual history, etc...

I hate going into STI clinics, as immature as I may sound. It feels as though there's AIDS crawling all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The teaspoon only comes out if any of the names on the list are that of the Doctor's daughters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Relax, please.

I said they encouraged users of the service to make a list of previous partners. This wasn't supposed to be disclosed to anyone. It's just for the purposes of the user - presumably to reflect upon their sexual history, or maybe if there were anything untoward found in the subsequent test results.

And it was just the usual swab up the japs eye, no teaspoon required; thanks for your interest.

it wasnt actually in YOUR interest i made my comment, it was in the interest of those that might read your misleading post and be discouraged from attending an STI clinic, under the misguided impression that they might be "encouraged" or otherwise to name their sexual partners.

as Pedant says there, they will ask you non-specific questions about numbers. and your STI test results are confidential, hence why you only get referred to by a reference number, and they wont go contacting any of your previous sexual partners either if they find anything, they will just contact you alone, the responsibility is up to you then whether or not to inform your previous sexual partners.

I just want to clarify that no teaspoon goes up the japs' eye.

i think this grossly misleading statement ought to be clarified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Why didn't you just lie?

No, lying is not cool. He could refuse to answer but to lie?! Regardless of the lie, what about safety for her? (Even the safest of sex has dangers)

I would be and have been put off by someone's number. Mine is very low. And I like it that way. I have only had very strong feelings for the men that I have had sex with and have ended up being in love with and having relationships with them. The sex definitely improves too.

I was single for three years between them, and still didn't have sex casually! Just not for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

ihsb wrote: »
    what about safety for her? (Even the safest of sex has dangers)

Do you look both ways when you cross the road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Agreed!

But I was referring to the "number" as canon fodder in relationships where people have talked too much about their past and jealousy can ensue
    mishkalucy wrote: »
    Canon fodder means that the information may be shared about past relationships during intimate moments.
    But when the proverbial hits the fan, it can be used against you!

A relationship where a person would be jealous about my past before I'd even known them, and where they would use honest information that I had discussed with them as "cannon fodder" against me, is not a relationship I would ever want to be in, to be honest.
    I'm not going to mention my exact number but I'm very OK with it, mostly on grounds that I know the surnames of all my previous partners

Woohoo I pass this test ... I'm not a slut! :cool: :p
    No, lying is not cool. He could refuse to answer but to lie?! Regardless of the lie, what about safety for her? (Even the safest of sex has dangers)

Safe sex isn't really about numbers. You could have been with only one person in the past, and be riddled as a result! Or you could have had safe sex with twenty people, and have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Prince Regent - "You know, Blackadder, for me socks are like sex. Tons of it about and I never seem to get any."

George speaks for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

12... Im a slut!

And what if he got tested for STIs, etc., and knows his clean (and has records to prove it), then is it okay?
    I would be and have been put off by someone's number.

Is that only because you're worried about STIs?

Six.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Hey OP, has this poll been adjusted to take into account the "rule of 3"?

Mickey H wrote: »
    Hey OP, has this poll been adjusted to take into account the "rule of 3"?

???

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

???

The number of sexual partners a woman claims to have should be multiplied by 3 because she doesn't want to seem easy and a man's claim should be divided by 3 because he does want to seem successful!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Not enough, would be my answer to this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Vicxas wrote: »
    12... Im a slut!
    Not necessarily, if your under 20 then yes, you are a slut.
    If you are over 25 then that's pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if your under 20 then yes, you are a slut.
    If you are over 25 then that's pretty normal.

And who made up that little rule? You? Why is it okay after 25? Why not 22, 23, 24? You can't just make sweeping statements like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The number of sexual partners a woman claims to have should be multiplied by 3 because she doesn't want to seem easy and a man's claim should be divided by 3 because he does want to seem successful!

Taken with a pinch of salt as most of them wouldent know a women if they sat on them :p;)

Advertisement