Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Dubliner be generally welcome moving to Armagh City?

• 03-09-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Sorry this post may sound like a "typical Dubliner" post.

I am starting a job with a company in Tyrone in two weeks and I was set on finding a flat in Armagh City until just today when I was talking to a friend who has family in Armagh and he recommended I stay south of the border because I may not be welcome in certain areas because I am from the south.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

Generally I would say you will be fine. Yes there are areas you may be uncomfortable/particularly not want to live because pavements are painted red, white and blue with union jacks on top of lamp posts etc but areas like that are few.

I grew up in the city (catholic) and never encountered any problems. I assume you will be visiting places before deciding whether to live there and so go with where you are comfortable.
    I mention about flags and pavements above, equally (even though I am catholic) I would not live somewhere with tricolours flying because that too makes me uncomfortable. Yes there are certain areas in armagh that are territorial but there are many places where you will live happily without any issue at all.

As a general guide, Newry Rd area, Folly and Portadown Rd are nice areas. Also look at Abbey Pk on the Moy Rd. What part of Tyrone will you be in? You might consider Moy, Beburb also for rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 crazy maisie

guy5 wrote: »
    Sorry this post may sound like a "typical Dubliner" post.

I am starting a job with a company in Tyrone in two weeks and I was set on finding a flat in Armagh City until just today when I was talking to a friend who has family in Armagh and he recommended I stay south of the border because I may not be welcome in certain areas because I am from the south.

Is this something I should be worried about?

There would be certain areas to avoid. But generally it's a nice place. Keady is friendly. I live in newry and its most friendly too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement