Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD irritations... ie first world problems! (See Mod Note, 1st post)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

People talking, texting or on FB in lectures.

FB and Twitter on SUAS computers.

Ridiculous collapsed Ugg boots (the Penny's ones are particularly disgusting).

Having to wait to wash my hands as some 17 year old is putting her false eyelashes on at the sink while another flock of them are applying yet another coat of foundation.

The state of the toilets in Newman, the downstairs ones near the G stairway and the ones near the E stairway.

The smell of cheap perfume and hair-spray in the jax.

The sheer racket that traditional students feel the need to make. Why not grow the hell up and stop screaming at your friends.

Traditional students giving out about Mature students, we have a right to an education but unlike a lot of you, we actually listen in lectures. We don't waste our time sitting on our arses whispering about who went where at the weekend. I really don't care who "got the shift" so keep your conversations out of my life.

People giving out about the smoke outside Newman. Are you aware that there are two exits that don't lead to the wall? Not to mention the library tunnel.

People who I don't know asking me if I have a "spare cigarette"...like I go to the shop and think to myself, "I only want 19 cigarettes today, but as they come in packs of 20, I'll have an extra one to give away to some underage, wannabe hipster".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mature students who have a heightened sense of self importance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

davi78 wrote: »
    People talking, texting or on FB in lectures.

FB and Twitter on SUAS computers.

Ridiculous collapsed Ugg boots (the Penny's ones are particularly disgusting).

Having to wait to wash my hands as some 17 year old is putting her false eyelashes on at the sink while another flock of them are applying yet another coat of foundation.

Excellent ugg boots point.

And aswell on the fake eyelashes/tonnes of makeup. How long do these girls spend getting ready to sit in a lecture hall. I've seen so many girls wearing high heels and high heeled boots to college. It's almost cringe worthy

This is going to get me lynched but I'll use the SUAS computers to check my facebook, but never if there's a queue or even if there's only a few places free. During the exams I left my laptop at home a lot so that I would stay focused, so I went out to the SUAS computers when I was giving myself a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Walking through the cloud of smoke whilst heading in the main entrance to Newman is a horrible mark on a day. The fact it says 'No smoking' just shows how inconsiderate all those filthy, weak-minded smokers are. It's vile whenever I go in or out of Newman main entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

First Post wrote:

Mod Note: This thread is for cathartic ranting about stuff that annoys you. People replying to rants to complain about peoples complaints will earn an infraction

People who can't ****ing read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Right so. People who ****ing moan about other ****ing people talking, but then ****ing smoke in the ****ing very area where there are ****ing signs up saying "no ****ing smoking"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People using the out door to go in at the tunnel and library entrance and vice versa. Even if there's no one there it annoys me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tebbie

Extra unnecessary doors in Newman.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Know it all students who like to answer all of the lecturer's / tutor's questions before anyone else has a chance to open their mouth. Oh and people who "correct" lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Certain mature students who feel they have a God-given right to go on and on in seminars and even in some lectures. Just because you love the sound of your voice doesn't mean that I do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    Know it all students who like to answer all of the lecturer's / tutor's questions before anyone else has a chance to open their mouth. Oh and people who "correct" lecturers.

People who think they're smarter than their tutors and think they're too smart to show up to tutorials... but... but... you're marked on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

People who think they're smarter than their tutors and think they're too smart to show up to tutorials... but... but... you're marked on them!

The fact that you're marked attendance but not participation in law tutorials, if they are so ****ing important I will lose 5% in the exam anyway because I wasn't at the tutorials, you doing this just proves they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Having 3/4 hour gaps between lectures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

students who wear suits to college . i don't care of you are a debating bigwig or campaigning for world peace and free fees... lighten up ... you'll be wearing a suit for 50 years after you graduate. This is your last chance to take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

psychward wrote: »
    students who wear suits to college . i don't care of you are a debating bigwig or campaigning for world peace and free fees... lighten up ... you'll be wearing a suit for 50 years after you graduate. This is your last chance to take it easy.
    I don't think I've ever seen a student wear a suit around campus..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Will the student union explain how they are so in debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

._. wrote: »

The HIMYM International Suit Up day was the only time I saw (maybe 5 or 6) students wear suits. I would but I'd look like a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

ok.....lets see now.....
    1. ignorant people who couldnt be arsed keping door open for those following directly behind.....ive had doors slapped in my face sooo many times
    2. silly teens standing at doors of lectures to have sooooo important conversations....get out of the godamn way !!
    3. mindless people who think its cool to pronounce all mature students as somehow less entitled......grow up....
    4. lazy people who dont make any semblemce of an effort in tutorials/lectures/seminars, which is fine, but for some reason feel it is neccessary to belittle students who actually want to participate in the education process.....my god imagine that ....the horror, the horror...
    5. the price of a latte in Java......wtf ?
    6. people ho dont have the common manners to clear their rubbish from the tables near the su shop......mammys not here now to clean up after you...
    7. people who somehow think it is ok to have long conversations in the library if they whisper.....ah hello....actually its f**king not!.....no your not funny, what you did last night/ how much you drank/ arent we all just pure mad , etc, etc,......is of no interest to me in the slightest.....
    8. the disgusting state of the toilets near su shop in newman.....
    9. and finally ....the inconsiderate, clueless, gobs***e who broke my car mirror and left it in several pieces on the ground......there aint no place safe enough...i will hunt you down like the dog you are .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

This year's College Tribune. Dear Lord, has it taken a nose dive since last year i.e. challenging and regularly beating the Observer, to this week's edition. One of the editors has a lot to answer for.

ok.....lets see now.....
    1. ignorant people who couldnt be arsed keping door open for those following directly behind.....ive had doors slapped in my face sooo many times
    2. silly teens standing at doors of lectures to have sooooo important conversations....get out of the godamn way !!
    3. mindless people who think its cool to pronounce all mature students as somehow less entitled......grow up....
    4. lazy people who dont make any semblemce of an effort in tutorials/lectures/seminars, which is fine, but for some reason feel it is neccessary to belittle students who actually want to participate in the education process.....my god imagine that ....the horror, the horror...
    5. the price of a latte in Java......wtf ?
    6. people ho dont have the common manners to clear their rubbish from the tables near the su shop......mammys not here now to clean up after you...
    7. people who somehow think it is ok to have long conversations in the library if they whisper.....ah hello....actually its f**king not!.....no your not funny, what you did last night/ how much you drank/ arent we all just pure mad , etc, etc,......is of no interest to me in the slightest.....
    8. the disgusting state of the toilets near su shop in newman.....
    9. and finally ....the inconsiderate, clueless, gobs***e who broke my car mirror and left it in several pieces on the ground......there aint no place safe enough...i will hunt you down like the dog you are .......

Just on 4: I'm a mature student and in 90% of my tutorials if it wasn't me speaking, there would be pure silence. I have never seen or heard a negative reaction from a fellow student about this though, in all fairness.

On 8 also: There are probably 1000 hungover poos taken by 12 o clock, it's never going to be pretty!

• Advertisement

._. wrote: »

It seems to be a favorite clothing of law society/political party and L&H types. I see them everywhere even on the bus wearing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Was that the car parked on the UCD Clonskeagh drive entrance? Saw one with a broken wing mirror on my way in to college yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

feckin chuggers and young ones who get too into the whole ents officer thing. 'pweez vote for tits mcgee go on i have a nice rack therefore this is the person you should vote for'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

kkdela6 wrote: »
    feckin chuggers and young ones who get too into the whole ents officer thing. 'pweez vote for tits mcgee go on i have a nice rack therefore this is the person you should vote for'

Seems as good a reason as any to vote for one SU candidate over another...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

We had to wear suits for some of our presentations in college. They're too awkward to store in lockers so you just end up wearing them for the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably mentioned already, but lecturers who keep you until the very end, like 3 minutes to the hour. They always tend to be ones who start right on time as well. It seems to be endemic amongst Politics lecturers for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Canvasers. Canvasers everywhere.

This has bugged me for a long time.

Whenever I login to UCDCONNECT on a UCD desktop and go to check the Gmail supported email , I find the crappy Internet Explorer Browser tells me that I have
    ''compatibility view'' turned on and to turn it off else reading mail becomes an experience similar to scoring along ones eyeball with a razorblade. This stressfully wastes time each time I login plus it still works like a turd. Am I missing something important here or is whoever set this thing up an incompetent fool who can't ensure that UCD is even compatible with itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

psychward wrote: »

I have to wear a suit in for mock trials and **** pretty frequently, trust me it irritates me to wear the ****ing thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I was in a third year elective in quinn and some proper twats were in the lecture. Me reppin the hightops, while had others wearing 'business' chinos with loafers...whad up with that.

all the hollister, abercrombie stuff, it's ruined this stuff for me. most people in quinn being culprits. its not 2006 anymore(was still annoying but least you were 13/14/15/16 then.

Advertisement