Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sticking' Menus in Web Browsers

• 24-06-2009 7:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope I can describe this properly. In using Chrome or Safari if i select a drop down menu part of the menu 'sticks' on the screen when the command is selected. This will remain even if I shut down the browser. Only way to get rid is by shutting down screen. its really annoying! Anyone have an idea why this is happening and how to get rid? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Is this the actual menu bar at the top of the browser window, or is it a menu on a specific website?

Does it happen all the time, or only some of the time? Does it happen with other browsers? (IE, Firefox)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

oeb wrote: »
    Is this the actual menu bar at the top of the browser window, or is it a menu on a specific website?

Does it happen all the time, or only some of the time? Does it happen with other browsers? (IE, Firefox)

yea its the browser menus such as settings, a right click tab on the bookmarks bar etc. happens on any website. Its sits on top of the browser and any programs I have open. It started happening with chrome so I installed safari yesterday and its happening with that now too. Don't use IE or FF so can't comment on those.

ok just checked with IE 8. happening with that too.

nobody any ideas? cr@p. google doesn't come up with much either

nobody any ideas? cr@p. google doesn't come up with much either

Do you know what kind of spec your machine is? How much ram and video memory it has? Did you install a new graphics card or new drivers prior to this happening?

How old is the machine? What operating system are you using? How long has this been an issue?

This could be caused by a number of things, for example your monitors display resolution, faulty graphics drivers etc, not having enough video memory etc. But if you give me the details above I might be able to give you some specific things to try (If you don't know the rest, just the operating system is fine)

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    Do you know what kind of spec your machine is? How much ram and video memory it has? Did you install a new graphics card or new drivers prior to this happening?

How old is the machine? What operating system are you using? How long has this been an issue?

This could be caused by a number of things, for example your monitors display resolution, faulty graphics drivers etc, not having enough video memory etc. But if you give me the details above I might be able to give you some specific things to try (If you don't know the rest, just the operating system is fine)
    Thanks OEB. I haven't changed anything. this just started happening in past few weeks. Only changes are normal windows updates.
    Details: Vista Home Premium SP 2; Intel Core 2 Duo P8400@2.26ghz; 3 GB RAM. just 1yr old. Sorry can't see where video memory is. Can I just add this only happens with browser menus.

Thanks OEB. I haven't changed anything. this just started happening in past few weeks. Only changes are normal windows updates.
    Details: Vista Home Premium SP 2; Intel Core 2 Duo P8400@2.26ghz; 3 GB RAM. just 1yr old. Sorry can't see where video memory is. Can I just add this only happens with browser menus.

Right, what I'm going to get you to try and do is remove the visual effects from context menus. This is not a major thing, but when you click on a menu, they kind of fade in. We will change this so they just pop in to see if that gets rid of the problem.

1. Right Click on 'My Computer' (If the link is not on your desktop, you should be able to find it in Windows explorer (Start->Run->explorer.exe))
    2. Choose properties in the right click menu
    3. Click 'Advanced System Settings' (I believe it's on the left)
    4. Choose the 'Advanced' tab
    5. Click the 'Preformance Settings' button
    6. Choose the 'Visual Effects' tab
    7. Uncheck the box marked "Fade out menu items after clicking."

Can you try that and play around with it for a bit to see if that removes the issue?

yaay! that worked! thanks a million OEB. any idea why it might have started or is it just another Vista foible.
    thanks again

yaay! that worked! thanks a million OEB. any idea why it might have started or is it just another Vista foible.
    thanks again

Could be a number of things, I experience it from time to time, and it's normally a result of running low on system resources.

Advertisement