Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fresh battery time for these two and I dunno if it comes across in pics, but a good example of how the same model can look quite different depending on dial colour and strap/bracelet.

Girard Perregaux from 1972, running an early quartz movement designed by GP and Jaeger LeCoultre. No jewels, uses teflon bearings instead so no lubrication required. Superior stepping motor for the time(and arguably even today) with enough torque to drive normal sized hands, when most then couldn't. Set the standard quartz frequency of 32768 Hz, which is the one used by the vast majority of quartz watches since. They were entered into observatory timekeeping trials which were higher standards than chronometer certification(full watches not just movements and observed over 30 days and subjected to shock as well as positional variation) and blew the opposition away. Even today with a bit of tweaking they can run well under 30 seconds per year.

They're pretty solid a movement as the number of survivors attests, though the date mechanism and keyless works(designed by JLC) can cause problems. The electronics and motor are generally bombproof, but the quartz oscillator can die, though because they're the same frequency as modern quartz a new one can be fitted for a few quid(the linen dial one has had this done sometime in its history). The blue one I got from France, the linen dial came from Peru of all places which is pretty cool. :)

Price wise these days; at ebay auction this model goes for between 3-400, private/forum sales 4-500, dealers 600+ Original box and papers maybe adds 20% at auction, much more with dealers.

Beautiful....really must get myself a nice high-end quartz as I always say quartz has it place in watch history. Watch snobs that only consider automatic or manual seem to totally forget this.

I wear mostly Quartz digital for work. Casio cheap ones as if they get smashed it's no loss. Back light is a bonus on nights. Handy to just grab and go without setting times and dates.
    But I have started wearing my Seiko 5 bit lately.

Like my Automatic for my time off which means alot of resetting time and dates.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

2shea wrote: »
    Watch snobs that only consider automatic or manual seem to totally forget this.
    Which has made them much cheaper than similar vintage mechanicals, so there's that. Even nowadays when some serious collectors have been buying up early quartz models and have driven up the prices a lot in the last five years, they're still cheaper.

When they were new and The Latest Thing™ they were extremely expensive watches and the very top tier of the brand's ranges, with the best dials, cases straps/bracelets. Those Girard Perregaux movement watches were considered cheap for a quartz and they were nearly three times the price of an Omega Speedmaster. When a Rolex steel sub was around 200 pounds the Longines UltraQuartz was closer to a 1000. The Beta 21 movement Omegas were more expensive again. When Omega brought out their Marine Chronometer quartz in the mid 70's it was over ten times the price of a Sub. And they were actually rated as marine chronometers too, with a yearly rate of around six seconds. In some adverts they noted that they were the first and only watch that equalled the accuracy of John Harrison marine chronometers. Even today they're still at the top of non radio controlled wristwatch accuracy. Values today? A good one can be had for around 3000 and the occasional auctions can get one for around 2000. Beta 21 movement watches from the big names can be had from a 1000 upwards.

From what I've observed values have stabilised, even softened in the last couple of years. I suspect because the heavy hitting collectors have the models they want and the quartz has no soul™ effect means the general buyers aren't biting.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Which has made them much cheaper than similar vintage mechanicals, so there's that. Even nowadays when some serious collectors have been buying up early quartz models and have driven up the prices a lot in the last five years, they're still cheaper.

When they were new and The Latest Thing™ they were extremely expensive watches and the very top tier of the brand's ranges, with the best dials, cases straps/bracelets. Those Girard Perregaux movement watches were considered cheap for a quartz and they were nearly three times the price of an Omega Speedmaster. When a Rolex steel sub was around 200 pounds the Longines UltraQuartz was closer to a 1000. The Beta 21 movement Omegas were more expensive again. When Omega brought out their Marine Chronometer quartz in the mid 70's it was over ten times the price of a Sub. And they were actually rated as marine chronometers too, with a yearly rate of around six seconds. In some adverts they noted that they were the first and only watch that equalled the accuracy of John Harrison marine chronometers. Even today they're still at the top of non radio controlled wristwatch accuracy. Values today? A good one can be had for around 3000 and the occasional auctions can get one for around 2000. Beta 21 movement watches from the big names can be had from a 1000 upwards.

From what I've observed values have stabilised, even softened in the last couple of years. I suspect because the heavy hitting collectors have the models they want and the quartz has no soul™ effect means the general buyers aren't biting.

Any recommendations wibbs? 3 hander 1 Japanese and 1 Swiss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

2shea wrote: »
    Any recommendations wibbs? 3 hander 1 Japanese and 1 Swiss.
    I have to leg it for a while, but I can have a look around alright 2shea. What's your ballpark budget?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have to leg it for a while, but I can have a look around alright 2shea. What's your ballpark budget?

You know better then me about budget. €150 €200 or more for something really nice.%

• Advertisement

These days that kinda money won't go far on the early high end quartz, however, here's one a little higher at 350 and with a make offer option. Girard Perregaux circa 73 in a rare enough case form and one that wears quite large and very 70's. Touch of the Genta type design. The JLC version that's similar usually runs way more than a 1000. I'd offer 300 and hope for the best. Just one caveat, it's not a full link bracelet and the maximum size it will fit would be a 7 inch wrist, if you're above that you're out of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Vintage 1967 Longines today.
    479517.jpg

479518.jpg

479519.jpg

Calibre 285, manual wind.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

blue5000 wrote: »
    Double post, please delete this Wibbs, Thanks

I'm not being smart, but you can delete posts yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Blue5000, that is exactly what a dress watch should look like, its a beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭micks_address

Jude13 wrote: »
    Blue5000, that is exactly what a dress watch should look like, its a beaut.

Any colour pics blue?

• Advertisement

Any colour pics blue?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue5th/albums/72157654780455391

But there was no colour pics in 1967:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Is the second pic, the Seiko, on a wookie?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Is the second pic, the Seiko, on a wookie?

I met chewbacca a few years back.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That gold faced seiko is gorgeous. I see you use good watches around the farm. That's the reason I ventured into cheap chunky chinese watches, I broke several decent watches first. :( I have to say, so far they're holding up really well, even using the chainsaws.

That gold faced seiko is gorgeous. I see you use good watches around the farm. That's the reason I ventured into cheap chunky chinese watches, I broke several decent watches first. :( I have to say, so far they're holding up really well, even using the chainsaws.

Thanks, the gold faced Seiko is a Pogue.

Wearing a good vintage one down the yard doesn't happen too often, usually only on a Sunday. That would be the day that I'd have to lift a slimy new born calf off the slats :eek:.

The Damasko gets the most wrist time, followed by the Seiko diver (BFK).

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks, the gold faced Seiko is a Pogue.

Wearing a good vintage one down the yard doesn't happen too often, usually only on a Sunday. That would be the day that I'd have to lift a slimy new born calf off the slats :eek:.

The Damasko gets the most wrist time, followed by the Seiko diver (BFK).
    Is it hard to get a clean pogue? There's one on adverts but looks like fair bit of wear of it..

Is it hard to get a clean pogue? There's one on adverts but looks like fair bit of wear of it..

Most of the shiney ones on ebay have been tarted up, new dials etc. You might be better off getting an original one that is a bit tatty looking. An awful lot of them came in from the Philippines, the case might be all that's original. There's a few threads on WUS on what to look out for/buyer's guides etc.

Mine came from Athens, bought it on ebay about 4 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Couple of tags I thought I would share before they head for the chopping block

479667.jpeg

479668.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

Seeing if I can post this picture of my favourite watch. I find it hard/impossible not to wear it Mon - Fri. It's a bit of a collection killer.

https://imgur.com/a/uC8rtXx

It won't let me post the link so I left a space after https.

I found some other pics of it and a few other bits and pieces from the watch box.

https://imgur.com/a/EOOppGU

https://imgur.com/a/vvFC8YK

edit: another favourite of mine (Grand Seiko SBGX063 on crocodile)

https://imgur.com/a/SsYQxJx

I like to have a chrono and this is it currently. I don't wear it often enough.

https://imgur.com/a/0ruZHro

My first decent watch

https://imgur.com/a/BLjxdhM

Special watch (my Grandad's - given to him on retirement - never serviced - keeps perfect time)

https://imgur.com/a/w3bOGei

I think it's 34mm (never measured) but wears well.

I like the MM300 a lot. The stock rubber is awful though. The isofrane is the most comfortable rubber strap for it. I've had a ton of Seiko's over the years but this one is never leaving.

https://imgur.com/a/FJ0B1zf

OK ecoli I removed the space and made them URLs, they're links to pics rather than the pics themselves. :)

• Advertisement

Loving the Grand Seiko. :)

Loving the Grand Seiko. :)

Is the first one a snowflake?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ecoli3136 - you have a lovely collection and welcome to the forum

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ecoli3136 - How does the omega compare to the Snowflake ? I haven't got to hold both at the same time yet and wonder if the GS quality is as superior as Ive heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

Hard to get at the moment, but luckily my local AD got one in stock, and finally I have my grail watch, the Tudor Black Bay 58:

20190507-070143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

The Black Bay is fabulous picked up a heritage with red bezel last week best of luck it’s a classic piece.

TBH I tend to prefer Tudor stuff to Rolex. There, I've said it. :eek: :D And that Smink is a beauty. Well may you wear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TBH I tend to prefer Tudor stuff to Rolex. There, I've said it. :eek: :D And that Smink is a beauty. Well may you wear. :)

I think I do too. I do like the Daytona, but any other rolex is meh for me.

But that is some collection Ecoli, thought I was on instagram for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Beautiful watch, tried one on myself the other day. Will hopefully get to pick one up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

479860.jpg

479861.jpg

My little one loves wearing my watches in the evening before she heads to bed. Naturally I don't let her near the good ones and let her wear/throw about some crappy fashion ones that I had been given a while back from someone.

We were walking in the shopping centre this afternoon when she saw a huge display of watches in a jewelers. Her face lit up in pure joy. I asked her if she wanted her own watch. She isn't talking yet but indicated with excitement that she did. So we went into the shop and asked an assistant if they had a watch that would fit (she's a few weeks away from being two).

Naturally it won't be left on all the time owing to small parts and instead will be worn with supervision. Apologies for crappy pics... you can imagine it was difficult to get a photo. Hopefully it's the first of many.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement