Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you intend to vote in the upcoming EU Fiscal Treaty referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

This will be vote in the forth coming referendum (s)

NO
    NO
    NO
    NO
    SPOILED VOTE
    NO
    NO
    SPOILED VOTE
    YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Our Country would be financially better off, if we told the Gamblers to take a hike.
    That would be the biggest gamble since the last one we lost with the blanket guarantee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

dvpower wrote: »
    That would be the biggest gamble since the last one we lost with the blanket guarantee.

A man who is already penniless has nothing to lose but every thing to gain.

I'm voting No because Fianna Fail have said they favour a yes vote, you know when they are in favour of something that it can only involve corruption and is bad for the country.

Stinicker wrote: »
    A man who is already penniless has nothing to lose but every thing to gain.
    A man who relies on borrowings has eveything to lose by refusing to sign the loan documents.
    I'm voting No because Fianna Fail have said they favour a yes vote, you know when they are in favour of something that it can only involve corruption and is bad for the country.
    Well, at least you have a strong coherent arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

I intend to vote intelligently on the matter. That is, having read the text and making a decision on how to vote based on that text and my expectation of the consequences from it.

I will not vote based on how I feel about the current government or what I think of the EU.

It's unbelievably sad that I will be a miniscule minority in doing so. This country does not deserve democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

A man who relies on borrowings has eveything to lose by refusing to sign the loan documents.

Do you realise how much money this country has spent so far? Literally like giving a heroin addict more heroin to cure him of his addiction.

We can't afford these borrowings! We can't afford them now, we couldn't afford them before now and we won't be able to afford them in the future.
    quietriot wrote: »
    This country does not deserve democracy.

Democracy? Seriously???????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We are broke and by voting No, we will ensure that we cannot be bailed out again, this is a good thing and not a bad thing. I see Ireland and Greece and the two stroppy teenagers of Europe who keep going to their Rich Daddy in Germany for more funds to fund their extravagant lifestyle. If we Vote no we will kick ourselves out of the house and have to depend on the markets.

We must stand on our own two feet and default on the debts owed to the German and French banks. Germany and France are lending money to countries like Ireland to repay the private debt saw the previous corrupt Government guarantee the debts of the Fianna fraudsters which Irish banks borrowed from German and French banks on "the market".

Basically Ireland should stand up and saw to Merkovy, cancel the debt we have bailed out our banks but we are not bailing out yours too and let Germany and France endure the roasting of their financial house of cards collapsing also.

squod wrote: »
    Do you realise how much money this country has spent so far? Literally like giving a heroin addict more heroin to cure him of his addiction.
    Yes. And I'm expecially aware of how much our deficit is.
    squod wrote: »
    We can't afford these borrowings! We can't afford them now, we couldn't afford them before now and we won't be able to afford them in the future.
    We certainly can't afford to live without them. We may not be able to afford to repay them, but we have a reasonable chance of having them restructured, expecially the promissory notes, sometime in the future when the wider European crisis has abated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm with the UK on this one when they say, 'F*CK OFF'.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

It won't matter what way we vote. If we get it wrong, they'll just make us vote again until we give the answer they want. Why even bother?

• Advertisement

Basically Ireland should stand up and saw to Merkovy, cancel the debt we have bailed out our banks but we are not bailing out yours too and let Germany and France endure the roasting of their financial house of cards collapsing also.
    You mean we borrowed the money to bail out our banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm voting YES but secretly hoping that NO wins because it will prove once and for all that democracy doesn't work.

Jenroche wrote: »
    It won't matter what way we vote. If we get it wrong, they'll just make us vote again until we give the answer they want. Why even bother?
    Why would they get us to vote again on this one? We don't have a veto this time - the rest can proceed without us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If you remove the whole EU and them against us nonsense. It only makes sense that we control our public expenditure. The days of government free for all spending are over.

Agreed. I'd happily vote for a referendum on including such rules in Ireland's statute books.
    I won't vote for anything which involves ceding any more sovereignty to the self styled king and queen of Europe. They can f*ck off.

We should actually have two referenda, one on including such budgetary rules in our constitution, as an Irish matter, and one on ratifying the international treaty. That way we could still get the common sense fiscal policy the yes side will tell us we're missing out on, while refusing to acknowledge any greater authority than the Irish people over Irish affairs.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Where To wrote: »
    I'm voting YES but secretly hoping that NO wins because it will prove once and for all that democracy doesn't work.

So if you don't like the result democracy doesn't work?. You obviously don't have the the first clue about what democracy is. Democracy is respecting a vote, not disregarding it and asking again until people get the ''right answer''.
    What would you like democracy to be replaced with?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'll vote No the first time and No the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm with the UK on this one when they say, 'F*CK OFF'.

When the UK took a long hard look at the situation and said "good luck with that lads" the vast majority of eu countries envied them massively for having that option. The fiscal integration agenda has brought disaster down on this continent and here we are debating why we should wade further into that morass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Sinn Fein say they will be voting no, they issued 4,655,713 printed press releases costing an estimated €50,000 in ink alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bambi wrote: »
    When the UK took a long hard look at the situation and said "good luck with that lads" the vast majority of eu countries envied them massively for having that option. The fiscal integration agenda has brought disaster down on this continent and here we are debating why we should wade further into that morass.

Get some perspective. Fiscal and national independence movements really brought disaster on this continent several times, not another recession that are cyclical events anyway, or in Irelands case, pretty much since the existence of the state, barring a few golden bubbles.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

quietriot wrote: »
    I intend to vote intelligently on the matter. That is, having read the text and making a decision on how to vote based on that text and my expectation of the consequences from it.

I will not vote based on how I feel about the current government or what I think of the EU.

It's unbelievably sad that I will be a miniscule minority in doing so. This country does not deserve democracy.

Logic? Intelligent decisions? Get off our After Hours. :P

I'm the same. I don't have political allegences one way or the other, and until I see some professionals discussing the consequences of either result, I won't make my decision. However, my result won't be based on what politicans are saying, be they one way or the other; it's going to be based on research and careful contemplation on the discussions which will ensue over the next few weeks.

Of course, I know it's going to degenerate into "Vote yes to let Germany take control" and "Vote no to start World War Three"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Not allowed to vote in Referenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    the short version

Yes - money
    NO - no money

Money - for what, precisely? Keeping PS wages and SW high? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They will just come back and ask for you to vote again until they get the result they want. Perhaps lessons will be learned this time.

amacachi wrote: »
    Howso? Please, I'm dying to know what you're talking about.

Succeeded in opening our borders to cheap labour, undermining Irish workers pay and conditions. That enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

mike65 wrote: »
    the short version

Yes - money
    NO - no money
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    My takeaway is if we vote no, its the end of loans from Europe.

So that would be a no from me, then.

Sigh. From the document:
    STRESSING that none of the provisions of this treaty is to be interpreted as altering in any way the economic policy conditions under which financial assistance has been granted to a Contracting Party in a stabilisation programme involving the European Union, it's Member States and the International Monetary Fund

A debt which we are not legally bound to pay, a debt that is not ours. Our Country would be financially better off, if we told the Gamblers to take a hike.

Exactly. Iceland bonds are now classed as investment status, with Irish bonds classed as junk. Proof if ever it was needed.

Shock. No money for the golden circle gravy train of PS, SW, CS, and politicians. Bring it on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A vote to restrict the gombeen men in the Dail from bankrupting the country again? It's obvious what way we should be voting.

Voting "no" because you think this is some sort of dickwaving contest is childish.

Yes. And I'm expecially aware of how much our deficit is.

For every €500 we're spending we're taking in €300.....and borrowing €200. It is completely and utterly unsustainable.
    We certainly can't afford to live without them. We may not be able to afford to repay them, but we have a reasonable chance of having them restructured, expecially the promissory notes, sometime in the future when the wider European crisis has abated.

We cannot afford to live with them. I refer you to the example above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As of now No ....unless I see the Irish people getting a large write off of the debt that they did not cause.

Advertisement