Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed! What is needed to start out making electronic music??

• 14-03-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I've been wanting to get into making (electronic) music a lot lately, however, I currently do not own any equipment to do so. I'm looking for advice on what I need/don't need to make the music I'd like to make.

I come from a piano/guitar/synth background but I really want to start to get into making music via DAWs and the likes. I've been looking at a lot of midi-keyboard controllers and I think I lot of them do the job of several pieces of equipment in one. I know how to use a midi-keyboard fairly well but after that I haven't a clue as to what I should get.

The kind of music I'd like to make is stuff like deep house, nujazz, minimal etc.. Is there some essential pieces of electronic equipment I need to do so?

Realistically my budget is about E1000. With that I'm hoping to get at least a decent midi-keyboard and a pair of monitor speakers. After that what do you think I should look at buying? I'd like to do a lot of sampling from vinyl and different things - what's needed to do that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

laptop, midi controller, audio interface, your choice of DAW (probably either Ableton or FL Studio) copious amounts of time learning how it all hangs together, back of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AirsoftAndy

1. Software like Ableton , fruity loops
    2. plugins MASSIVE etc
    3. Time

Later you can pick up little bits and pieces like this http://www.aquariussound.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=224&category_id=79&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
    Check out Noisestorm on YouTube Irish DJ who only uses Massive and Ableton

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

old gregg wrote: »
    laptop, midi controller, audio interface, your choice of DAW (probably either Ableton or FL Studio) copious amounts of time learning how it all hangs together, back of the net.

Sounds expensive and time consuming, I'd go with a Buddha machine and a nice bag of weed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GarFromEire

cheers for the tips lads. I think time is definitely the big one there, learning this stuff takes a good while, especially when you're technically retarded like myself.

I downloaded flstudio the other day and have been messing around on that trying to figure it out. To understand the basics it doesn't seem the hardest but, if I'm going to devote a lot of time to learning how to use DAWs, which is the best one to learn how to use? Ableton comes up a lot, so I suppose that's defo one of the better ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GarFromEire

Sounds expensive and time consuming, I'd go with a Buddha machine and a nice bag of weed :pac:

that bhudda machine thing looks hilarious. i'm trying to be a little more serious with my music production though... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Give Reaper a go.

Demo is completely uncrippled, it's only 50 snots for a license when you want to splash out for it, and there's a rake of support for it.

You can use all the VST instruments you can't use with Reason and it handles audio editing really well.

Less of a live thing than Ableton is, but I find it much easier to get my head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Give Reaper a go.

Demo is completely uncrippled, it's only 50 snots for a license when you want to splash out for it, and there's a rake of support for it.

You can use all the VST instruments you can't use with Reason and it handles audio editing really well.

Less of a live thing than Ableton is, but I find it much easier to get my head around.

That looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

It's good man, I know several pretty big names who have all moved over to it from Logic and Cubase.

There's ridiculously geeky **** you do with it in terms of workflow customisation / reskinning etc, if there's anything at all you don't like the layout of you can just poke about under the hood and reshape it to your own specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Download a demo of propeller heads reason see what you think of that. Its very easy to use once you get the hang of it and how it works so well is in its simplicity. There's tons of tuts on YouTube on how to use most DAWS. I wouldn't bother with VST plug-ins until you have the basics down.

Demo for Reason version 6 available here http://www.propellerheads.se/download/ -

If you can get a demo of version 4 or under I'd recommend it there's much more to get used to in later versions.

Advertisement