Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Looking at the squad training photos from yesterday, Toner is definitely training with the team. As is Luke Fitzgerald.

Toner has been training with them all along, as far as I know, even before the injury to POC, was just there to make up the numbers for the training games I suppose but it could work out well in terms of knowing the line-out codes and so forth.

I'd be less inclined to read anything into Luke Fitzgerald's appearance; I presume he's on a central contract so it's almost a given that he'd be with them for training but I can't see him being involved in either of the remaining games. Trimble was poor against France but has been in better form than Luke, Earls, Bowe and just about every other winger for the last 12 months, it would be an awful slap in the face to drop him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Toner has been training with them all along, as far as I know, even before the injury to POC, was just there to make up the numbers for the training games I suppose but it could work out well in terms of knowing the line-out codes and so forth.

I'd be less inclined to read anything into Luke Fitzgerald's appearance; I presume he's on a central contract so it's almost a given that he'd be with them for training but I can't see him being involved in either of the remaining games. Trimble was poor against France but has been in better form than Luke, Earls, Bowe and just about every other winger for the last 12 months, it would be an awful slap in the face to drop him now.

Don't think I can agree with that. Fitz has been on-form since the start of the season. He was unlucky (once again) in regards to his injury at Christmas.

But having said that I don't see him muscling into the squad now. And truthfully I'd rather he commits himself to Leinster now... We've got a tough run in over the next few months and we're becoming stretched in the backline with all the 'cover' players with the Irish squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What time is the side announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

1.15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

1:15 on http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/live_streaming.php

• Advertisement

Danke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    De Luca is dnagerous when on form, notoriously inconsistant though

Morrison won´t be found wanting in defence either

De Luca has scored 1 try in nearly 30 games for Scotland. He's no threat.

Morrison can and will do damage though.

Happy birthday ROG, 35 today. I wonder what Kidney's present will be. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Has Gerry Thornley announced the team yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Has Gerry Thornley announced the team yet ?

Pretty much
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0307/1224312916526.html

What you would expect really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like BEst is the captain. HE is at the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Rory Best captain is seems.....

yeah, Best the captain and only changes are Reddan and Ryan coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Just two changes. Reddan for Murray and Ryan for POC. McCarthy and O'Leary added to the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Very disappointing selection from Kidney. Way, way too conservative. The team will be a shambles by the time we face England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DOC and Ryan together = worried about our lineout...
    At least there's a good chance we'll see McCarthy and Ryan together at some stage, now thats a good second row combination.

He's not trotting out his "building a squad" ****e now is he?

**** Ireland, the players are gonna be flogged come the HEC quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yup, comes out with 'Building a squad' ????????? When ??????

How many fit bodies against England I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Very disappointing selection from Kidney. Way, way too conservative. The team will be a shambles by the time we face England.

What other changes could he have made tho?? Putting in Tom Court or mcfadden wouldnt have been "unconservative". it just would have limited out bench

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Why do the majority of posters favour change in order to rest players for the English game? Why is the English game any more important than the Scots game?

It makes sense to me to pick your best team for the next game and then evaluate following that game on the health of the players.

Scotland will be as hard to beat as England and surely we should target the home win first.

Given the injury enforced absentees I don't honestly think that Kidney could change too much else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Did he actually mention "building a squad"?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MLC61 wrote: »
    Why do the majority of posters favour change in order to rest players for the English game? Why is the English game any more important than the Scots game?

It makes sense to me to pick your best team for the next game and then evaluate following that game on the health of the players.

Scotland will be as hard to beat as England and surely we should target the home win first.

Given the injury enforced absentees I don't honestly think that Kidney could change too much else.
    Its a bit easier to beat Scotland at home than England away imo

That said Scotland at home is much more important because it will have a bigger effect on our world rankings if we lose and we need to finish the year in the top 8 for seeding purposes for the RWC.

Its called being proactive and not reactive.
    Using your resources sensibly.
    Resting players and blooding others.

Most managers do this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    What other changes could he have made tho?? Putting in Tom Court or mcfadden wouldnt have been "unconservative". it just would have limited out bench

Ross and D'arcy could have switched with Court and McFadden and been put on the bench. Similarly with POM and Ferris/SOB.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Did he actually mention "building a squad"?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

I didn't see the press conference so I have no idea, I was only making reference to what he used to come out with before, ie building a squad for RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'd expected Ferris to be rested, cannot expect his body to get through 4 weeks of 6 nations rugby the way he plays. at least it will be good to see Ryan and McCarthy in the 2nd row for a point on saturday.

Scotland in Dublin will be easier to beat than England in Twickenham. Most of the team will be playing four matches in four weeks, and two in six days. They'll be knackered. I'd have given Ferris' knees a break and let us have a look at POM, given McFadden a run at 12 and maybe given Court a start at LH where we know he's useful. The 'spine' of the team would still be unchanged but you'd have new guys coming in and maybe adding a bit of freshness.

Did Kidney actually say he was 'building a squad'? If so, it's just further proof that he's lost the plot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I didn't see the press conference so I have no idea, I was only making reference to what he used to come out with before, ie building a squad for RWC.

Ah, ok. I don't really want to put myself through watching it, though I wouldn't put it past him to say something along those lines given his history.

He was asked about the injuries and said something like thats why we build a squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

OldRio wrote: »
    Its called being proactive and not reactive.
    Using your resources sensibly.
    Resting players and blooding others.

Most managers do this.

That's two different issues -
    1. Blooding new players in order to build a squad,
    2. Resting players.

The blooding new players is Fantasy Football stuff and keeps fans forums ticking - why doesn't he swap xx for yy and play zz in the other position. Daydreaming and good fun.

My question was on the resting issue - why rest them for the English game over the Scottish game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement