Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband in N.W. ?...

Options
  • 27-06-2004 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

More and more exchanges are being Internet Broadband enabled in the North West.

I was wondering if your area telephone lines have been upgraded by Eircom as yet ?.. and which ISP Broadband provider, users are choosing or have already chosen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep. Letterkenny is upgraded. AFIAK so is donegal town and Buncranna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Ballybofey is also now ADSL Broadband enabled, just waiting for my new modem from UTV Clicksilver, after receiving notice that my line has been activated ;) and modem despatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Buncrana isn't DSL enabled yet, which is ridiculous. As for the rest of Inishowen, apparently Carndonagh will get it next year, and Moville has had a trigger level set.

Spare a thought for us living faoin tuath that are doomed to live the 56k life for the foreseeable future.

Dunno about that, wireless would fairly sort you out.

Well received my Broadband modem and filters from UTV Clicksilver, the self install version-last thursday.

It stated you are only two clicks away from enjoying all the benefits of Clicksilver Broadband.

Two clicks my arse ?... this is tuesday and after being to hell and back trying to install the damned modem, which refuses to install or set up correctly. It has turned out to be a bloody nighmare. Even UTV Clicksilver Customer support could not help ?..

Now I have had to re-install my complete operating system after my computer froze and then crashed completely.

Currently back using UTVip XL. Not sure what the hell to do from here ?... clearly there is something wrong either with the installation disc, the telephone filters, or the modem, and I am waiting to hear from a MR CHARLES McROBERTS the Supervisor of Clicksilver technical support, but he is extremely slow in contacting customers.

"Two clicks away from Clicksilver " ROFL :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound good, we're due to embark on their trial soon. It would be a lot easier if they could just upgrade you though, without filling the bloody forms again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Dunno about that, wireless would fairly sort you out.
    If only.. The hills of North Inishowen would probable put a dampener on that idea.

UTV Clicksilver sent me out a new ZyXel modem & disc. I plugged it in and hey presto, I was on and using Clicksilver Broadband within a minute or two.

Operating speed 512.0 Kbps :D Pure magic.

Never realised broadband was this good. So no more complaints about U.TV Internet from me or my friends in Ballybofey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Korny

I'm with UTV Clicksilver too and I honestly can say that I had no trouble installing my modem so I guess you had a bit of bad luck there mate :-)

There Customer Services operators are generally good but there's one total dickhead,think he's called Peter or summit.God what a ponce,he started tutting and stuff over the phone to me and saying it was my fault that my computer decided to go and crash halfway through me reinstalling my modem to fix some problem or other.

Tosser

Apart from that I've no complaints,although I would advise you to get a third party bandwidth monitor as I reckon UTV's own one is a bit,how could you put it,"dodgy".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got the broadband in here in ballybofey also. I signed up with Esat/BT and had it up and running in about 10 mins. with the self install.
    Esat/BT may not be as cheap as UTV but I think the download limit is greater and possibly phoning tech. support may also be cheaper.
    I see that you must sign up for the phone service as well with UTV whereas this is optional with Esat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Just wondering...Im on a friends Pc and im Specifically looking for BB for Xbox Live alongside my Pc...I haven't the faintest Idea what service i can get at my house...(IM LIVING ON A HILL IN BURNFOOT)...Does anyone know what service i am able to get here(IF ANY).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

yeah its in carndonagh...good luck getting in there though, from what i see coverage is less than a mile from the exchange...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

:(:(.... I might just move in with him lol... I thought that maybe i'd even be able to get Utv Clicksilver ADSL with an Ethernet modem maybe ? Does anyone know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Get in contact with NWE in derry - they aren't the best but am on a hill in Burnfoot and using it so.... Its microwave over to the hill in Derry - line of sight -0 theyll come out and check if its availavble to u....Its a flook site better than 56k modem at any rate.... we lso used to have satellite here which was okay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Argh ...
    I'm only 4km from centre of Letterekenny town and I cant get broadband

Grrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jsbbroady

Where abouts are you Dealgan, I know Eircom have updated alot of exchanges around Letterkenny and alot of remote areas further west are getting broadband. We have 2mb DSL here and we are 35 miles from letterkenny in the middle of nowhere! It is expensive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i live 2 miles from donegal town and can't get broadband been waiting for a over a year and eircom won't repair the line- i know a doctors surgery in the middle of town that can't get it and they can throw rocks at the exchange eircom aren't really interested and no wireless seems to be coming round donegal town
    so i'm stuffed and two of us work from home it's fine if your line passes if it doesn't don't hold your breath

Dun wrote:
    If only.. The hills of North Inishowen would probable put a dampener on that idea.

Nah - wireless goes through hills these days. All that's needed is a provider.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

i live 2 miles from donegal town and can't get broadband been waiting for a over a year and eircom won't repair the line- i know a doctors surgery in the middle of town that can't get it and they can throw rocks at the exchange eircom aren't really interested and no wireless seems to be coming round donegal town
    so i'm stuffed and two of us work from home it's fine if your line passes if it doesn't don't hold your breath
    Which doctor's surgery? O Kennedys? Isn't the exchange up there in Marion Villas?
    That new Manor House (I think it's called) out the Clar Road even can get DSL. It's a fair bit from town centre.

Meh, I'm in Ballintra so i'm even more screwed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

jsbbroady wrote:
    Where abouts are you Dealgan, I know Eircom have updated alot of exchanges around Letterkenny and alot of remote areas further west are getting broadband. We have 2mb DSL here and we are 35 miles from letterkenny in the middle of nowhere! It is expensive though!

Hi,
    Lucky you.
    I'm on the Ramelton road, beside woodlands national school.

Even for work in crolly, can only get satellite "broadband" .. does get goo t/fer rates though.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
    byte

Slightly OT, though perhaps not...

Broadband Seminar being held at Jackson's Hotel in Ballybofey tomorrow night (Monday) at 7pm. Registration at 6.30.

Wouldnt' mind going though with work it's doubtful. :(

Who's organising the seminar in Jacksons and have you any other details on it.

cheers mate

byte

Sorry, I have thrown out the Demo. Bit late now anyway! Did you go? If so, was it any good?

Couldn't get to it in any event but I heard a small bit about it on highland radio earlier.

I think it was to be run for the benefit of people who cant get broadband yet and discuss their options particularly in relation to "group" type provision and access.

I'm on broadband so it would probably have had little to offer me.

byte

Yes, it was I think more aimed at broadband awareness and GBS for those without broadband already. I'm sorry I couldn't make it now, as nobody from my town made an appearance. :(

I would have gone, but for the fact that I already have U.TV Broadband & telephony, and our local Public representatives were talking about how wonderful it would be to have broadband in Ballybofey during the last local elections, when we already had it!.

The Jacksons Hotel meeting was another Photo opportunity for Politicians from our current Government. Not one of whom has my support.

Enough said ;)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 driver1

According to the Sunday Business Post Dungloe, Kilcar, killybegs and Lifford exchanges will be Broadband enabled by the end of March 05. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

I *think* that meeting was for www.nwewireless.com but im not quite sure, dont know of anyone who has this either, so it could be our savour....or a pile of bollox, who knows! :confused:

I just heard that €irCoN have announced that they are going to make Letterkenny a wireless broadband enabled centre of excellance :confused: .

Whatever that means !, and what about The Twin Towns getting wireless ?.... as a lot of my friends can not get broadband from any provider :mad:

P. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Paddy20 wrote:
    I just heard that €irCoN have announced that they are going to make Letterkenny a wireless broadband enabled centre of excellance :confused: .

Whatever that means !, and what about The Twin Towns getting wireless ?.... as a lot of my friends can not get broadband from any provider :mad:

P. :cool:

Paddy, where'd you hear this? Any links to articles, reports etc?

Advertisement