Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

internet tracking

Options
  • 19-01-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭

hey all

i just wanted to ask a question out of curiosity about employers and monitoring internet access. i heard a few people in my workplace were caught using facebook while they were working - seemingly the IT staff knew and reported it.

what i want to know is can they monitor your use of the internet if youre using your own phone? i use my phone to look at boards and a few other sites during my breaks but to be honest it wouldnt really sit right with me to know that theres a third party tracking what i do. or is it a case of the IT staff were just monitoring facebook and could see that the lads were logged in and posting?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is it a work phone or a private phone? Are you using wi-fi or 3G services?

They can monitor what happens on the work computers because it goes through the work network and routers and they can filter by DNS lookups or destination address. Simple network monitoring of traffic really.

If you're just using your phone, over the phone network (3G), and it's a private phone, then your IT company can't minotor it, aside from seeing if you post on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Paulw wrote: »
    Is it a work phone or a private phone? Are you using wi-fi or 3G services?

They can monitor what happens on the work computers because it goes through the work network and routers and they can filter by DNS lookups or destination address. Simple network monitoring of traffic really.

If you're just using your phone, over the phone network (3G), and it's a private phone, then your IT company can't minotor it, aside from seeing if you post on facebook.

thanks for the reply. i use my own private phone a sony ericsson k800i i think its 3G as far as i know. so basically i should be grand? i think the lads have much newer phones - galaxys or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you use your own phone on a mobile network and not the office wifi it cannot be tracked by your company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

... Unless your company is paying your network to secret disclose your browsing habits... It usually happens when your company pays your monthly phone bill. Please don't tell me that you fall into this category! You should be very afraid! :O

Nah, you're fine. There's no tracking there.

Advertisement