Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The evolution (?) of RTE's money gameshows

• 11-12-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching RTE's Winning Streak programme tonight got me wondering have their gameshows really evolved much since the halcyon days of Bunny Carr and "Quicksilver"? Remember a more innocent time when people played for 50p questions and some contestants went home with nothing? And the unscreened contestants one of whom thought that Ghandi's first name was "Goosey Goosey" another was asked to name a famous bridge and suggested "A bridge over Troubled Water"! Norman Medcalf was on hand to play organ music to provide clues for the hapless contestants as they battled their way from the 2p starter questions to the lofty heights of the 50p ones and if they were extremely lucky to the maximum prize of £10.

Today Kathryn Thomas, the thinking man's crumpet, provides the eye candy while Marty Whelan is the Bunny Carr figure but is nowhere near as natural as poor Bunny. The show itself is as tacky as ever and it's just the vast sums of money now involved that make the difference. Gone are the lights that used to go out as the contestants wracked their brains for the answers and if they couldn't think of one they could shout "Stop the lights". Three failures to answer a question meant that the lights going out became unstoppable and the contestant leaving empty handed.

Sadly the You Tube clip below is the only video I can find online but it does capture the "All Expenses Spared" studio set-up. :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Nobody in their right might that's under 60 years of age watches Winning Streak (unless they know someone in it maybe).

What were you thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well, of course, the National Lottery didn't exist when Quicksilver was on. :D

Winning Streak has in fact been on since 1992 - wonder how many people remember when Mike Murphy hosted it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

So that's where the phrase "shtop the lights!" comes from.

Kathryn Thomas is the thinking man's crumpet? Really? She looks like Jimmy Nesbitt in a blonde wig to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quicksilver was "must see tv" in the late 70s.

There isn't much of a history of quizes with cash prizes though - RTE has tended to either go for "noble" endevours - Challenging Times/Cross Country Quiz/Know Your Sport or tacky formated ****e like Where in the World and Murphys Micro Quiz-M for which you'd win some package holliday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God I HATE Winning Streak... it has to be the worst program on RTE... They could surely create a more interesting way of giving the people money (i.e. the purpose of the show)...

They even move the news for it? Does anybody know why they do this, as for people with OCD like me it really throws me off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what was the name of the show that Brendan Grace used to host
    all i can remember is there was a board with different pictures on it that somehow made a story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I liked Winning Streak when I was younger with Mike Murphy on it.

Now I just hate the layout of things. Also, they now visit your home and pre-record some stupid antics, and they also have a long chat with your family.

I'd prefer if it was a short chat with the player, and then onto the games. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I liked Winning Streak when I was younger with Mike Murphy on it.

Now I just hate the layout of things. Also, they now visit your home and pre-record some stupid antics, and they also have a long chat with your family.

I'd prefer if it was a short chat with the player, and then onto the games. Simple.

And the confetti after the big wheel is spun is totally unnecessary, except perhaps for when someone wins the jackpot on it.

It's a waste of money too in this economic climate. :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

And the confetti after the big wheel is spun is totally unnecessary, except perhaps for when someone wins the jackpot on it.

It's a waste of money too in this economic climate. :D:D

That confetti is denying someone out on the streets a roof over their head on these frosty nights.

Those bastards!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Evolution of rte game shows...

...let's not forget the unbelievable(!!) Colm & Jim Jim's Home Run.

Sh1t of the highest order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement