Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Fanny
    That's the best post I could possible read the morning of my flight to soll. Can't wait to get there now.
    Thanks for building the excitement over the last few weeks.

Woo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Another anecdotal snowfall update!! You're welcome istaunton, my pleasure. Have a great week!! :-)

image186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

Going to soll for the first time time next Saturday , thanks for the informative posts.
    Kevin.

Thanks 4400kevin, you're very welcome!! You timed your trip well! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Folks,

Just back from a week in Soll (18-25) and here is my two cents worth.

I first skied 12 years ago in Les Deux Alpes, and have since been to Mayrhofen twice, once to Cervinia/Zermatt and about 6 times to Soll. All resorts have their +'s and -'s. For me , and most in the group, Soll has the best balance and hence the reason why we've returned most often.

Things in it's favour
    Short transfer
    High standards of food-especially around the mountain.
    Good value both in staying/getting there and the prices in resort and on mountain
    Low altitude means you're not freezing
    When snow is poor they're well prepared with the artificial stuff
    There is good scope for exploring and heading off in different directions to get a flavour of the Skiwelt. Going up the lift in Soll, and then heading off to Scheffau, Ellmau and Going is great crack for the middling intermediate skier.apple strudel, (there's a place on the back of the mountain where they give the vanilla custard a bit of a kick with brandy). Those ribs in the place on the blue down to Ellmau are smashing. One of the lads posting here but me on to that, we usually skied on down to Ellmau and missed this gem, so my thanks.
    Enough variety of evening entertainment, live music, some may want more but there's plenty for us. (I won the first prize in the raffle in Salvenstad gave away whatever a Feugal ?? of vodka is to a group of ladies).A couple of nights in the Meuhle and great fun with The Frog on the Tyne in the Post.

Yes if you want the best skiing Soll will never, ever, come within an asses roar of the runs from the top of the mountain in Cervinia, down to the town. It's cool having to bring your passport with you and skiing in both Switzerland and Italy on the same day,.Some fabulous runs in Zermatt. But I find it hard to forget the delays in Turin, or experiencing minus 17, or the dreadful toilet facilities. You are also more likely to lose ski days to the weather. Others will see this as a small price to pay for the skiing. We all have different priorities.

For our holiday we stayed at the Postwirt in the middle of Soll. It was brilliant. Staff extremely friendly. Food throughout the week was excellent. It also brings another dimension to your break when you have an outdoor heated fully stainless steel swimming pool at your disposal. Combine this with 40, 50 and 90 degree saunas, and a steam room. Absolute luxury to put on the bathrobe after coming down the mountain , and lounge around the spa getting the leg muscles back to normal. Yesterday, spent an hour and a half outside in the pool as it got dark and was bucketing down snow.

FMagee, got to see those youngsters doing the slalom. Great view going up the Keat lift looking down on them.

For those heading out I envy you- was bucketing down. Here's a challenge, see can you get the pigs liver in the cream and mushroom sauce- trust me its the business, find the best strudel with the brandy custard.

Hope I didn't bore ye

Highpath

• Advertisement

Great review Highpath!! If you're into the local food, next time you go, you have to stop at the Blattlalm at Going and try their Blattl, it's the house speciality & they're really famous for it (obv, given the name!!). It's basically potato pancakes with kraut, sounds gross but its so tasty!!! But you'd have to pass the Ruebezahl Alm and the ribs, so it'd be a gamble ;-)

PS I'm delighted there was an independant witness to the SUPER-G race, lol!!!!! ;-) ;-)

Jaysus, yet more grub to try. Will give it a shot.

I never laughed as hard in my life as yesterday. Bunch of about 8 Irish lads (accent sounded Cork/Kerry), obviously never got a lesson, going down short training run beside Salvenmoos. Bucketing down snow, one had jeans and a jumper - no hat, no helmet, no gloves, no jacket, no goggles, no glasses. trousers pulled up over the boots. The couldn't go 5 yards without one of them falling over, but they were having a right crack.

It takes all sorts.

HP

...Just because its dull in village don't stay in bed.........

Hahahah, brilliant!!! Ah I love those guys- there was a fella on here around Christmas, sounded like one of them, except I think they were out 2 weeks ago. Had never stood on skis, but determined they didn't need ski school. I wondered how that panned out alright!

And that's a beautiful photo- looks fantastic!! Quite a difference to how it looked on New Years Day, lol!! This is a zoomed in view to the right of the lake by the trees ;-)

image133.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Snoozerface

Great review Highpath .. Fantastic summary of Soll! You summed it up perfectly. We also love the postwirt, we usually stay there but we couldn't get it this time, (there's a big gang of us heading out) the staff are exceptional & the pool is just bliss after a day skiing! I don't think the Tyrol (we're staying there this time) uses their pool in the winter.

Great shot aswell Highpath!

Roll on next Sat, some serious snow in the past few days. Fanny Mc is the village covered in snow too?

Village this evening Snoozerface:

image189.jpg

Also, measuring tape update from this morning- don't know how long this pile of snow is gonna last untouched, lol!! :-)

image187.jpg

Yesterday's Sunset (just before the car park photo above)

image192.jpg

Aaaannnddd...... POOWWWDERRRRR!!!! :-)

image191.jpg

image190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Last 2 days have been savage here. Visibility at times been very difficult but well been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

highpath wrote: »
    There is good scope for exploring and heading off in different directions to get a flavour of the Skiwelt. Going up the lift in Soll, and then heading off to Scheffau, Ellmau and Going is great crack for the middling intermediate skier.apple strudel, (there's a place on the back of the mountain where they give the vanilla custard a bit of a kick with brandy). Those ribs in the place on the blue down to Ellmau are smashing. One of the lads posting here but me on to that, we usually skied on down to Ellmau and missed this gem, so my thanks.

Thanks for all the info highpath! Just wondering where this strudel and custard place is? We're heading there in a couple of weeks (hope fresh snow is still coming then!)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Glad you liked the ribs , our instructor Alan put us on to them , next time go via the jumps 😄

Alan? JUMPS??! Lol!! ;)

Ok, lets just say there has been a LOT of snow over the past few days- so much that my measuring tape researcher has quit, lol!! ;-)

image193.jpg

This morning :-)

image197.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ fab pic! Heading to Austria next week and hoping for the same!

'Thanks for all the info highpath! Just wondering where this strudel and custard place is? We're heading there in a couple of weeks (hope fresh snow is still coming then!) '

Gatica, Its no. 33 Kummereralm on the piste map on skiwelt.at. The gluwein in there is also very good, nicely spiced, not too sweet. On previous trips in Soll we didn't head to this place as we were always in a rush to catch the lifts back from Scheffau . Its just after a fork where we turned off to head back towards Brixen.

Its a bit of fun in the evening to log in to this site and see the icon travelling around the piste map tracking the lifts you've been on. Enjoy. Feel free to ask any questions..

HP

Bejippers, this thread is only a few weeks old and look at all the views on it!! That's mad Ted ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

highpath wrote: »
    Gatica, Its no. 33 Kummereralm on the piste map on skiwelt.at. The gluwein in there is also very good, nicely spiced, not too sweet. On previous trips in Soll we didn't head to this place as we were always in a rush to catch the lifts back from Scheffau . Its just after a fork where we turned off to head back towards Brixen.

Brill! Thanks for the recommendation and directions. Can't wait to try it!

Did you stay in Brixen im Thale? Anything nice to see or do there? We'll be staying there, and having booked half board, we may only head out one or 2 nights for dinner.

SalvenStadtl race on Friday, for anyone arriving today?! They're great fun, after-party is good craic lots of prizes and everyone's welcome to enter, just register in the Salven, entry fee is €10. See yiz there!! :-) https://www.facebook.com/events/583190305100597/

Snowparks in Soll due to open on Wednesday, yaay!! :-)

One for the day that's in it- Mass on the mountain ;-)

Rigi_Church.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

soll theres a lot of bare patches

the season is ment to end march 30th

they run snow making machine every night

That's actually not recent- I'll post a more recent one, plenty of powder at the moment :-)

• Advertisement

Soll today :-)

another_Soll_rainbow.jpg

soll_pow_dusk.jpg

Advertisement