Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's not that it's slow to load up any parts of the page, it's that the browser is zoomed in on the top left corner of the page. Perhaps it's the browser's fault, it sometimes screws up pages from sites by showing the desktop and not the mobile version of the site - usually because there's images on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

It's an utterly crap system.

However, my problems with campus wireless have reduced considerably since I started using eduroam. I'm getting auto-logins to that which I never could on nuimwireless, or whatever they've renamed the thing to. Or from.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

why did they get rid of the pool tables upstairs in the su?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Has anyone noticed how much of a pain in the arse accessing the campus wi-fi can be on a phone? I've to wait about a minute for the sign-in portal site to allow me to scroll down.

Connect to eduroam or whatever it is that connects automatically no sign in portal!! (After first log in )

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Stinjy wrote: »
    Connect to eduroam or whatever it is that connects automatically no sign in portal!! (After first log in )

When your setting it up, make sure you put @nuim.ie after your student number, so it can log on to eduroam when your in another university.

...which is sort of the whole point of eduroam.

• Advertisement

Stinjy wrote: »

Yep, I've done that before and started doing that again today, but until today it was defaulting to "MaynoothUniversity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Yep, I've done that before and started doing that again today, but until today it was defaulting to "MaynoothUniversity".

You must have "automatically connect" enabled.

If you're on android / ios you'll need to go to settings long press the "maynoothuniversity" wifi name and I think you can select "forget network". On a laptop, it's pretty much the same go to wireless settings and there should be a checkbox to automatically connect. Uncheck it.

Thanks for the tip on eduroam Alt_Grrr!

Yeah, my laptop connects to eduroam by default while on campus.

Yeah, my laptop connects to eduroam by default while on campus.

Oh, wait...sorry now I get you!

If the ssid isn't in range and both are set to connect automatically it'll do so for either.

EG if MU wifi is in range but eduroam isn't broadcasting (or picks it up after Mu wifi), it'll connect to that first. And vice versa.

...hope that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Since I was last on-campus, I upgrade to a Macbook Pro and was just wondering if anyone knows how I can go about printing from one in the Library/PACR because I can't seem to find any information?
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Since I was last on-campus, I upgrade to a Macbook Pro and was just wondering if anyone knows how I can go about printing from one in the Library/PACR because I can't seem to find any information?

Here you go!

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/computer-centre/copy-and-print-service-cps/wireless-printing

Couldn't see info there for printing wirelessly from Macbooks, have I gone blind in my decrepitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm gonna sound like a really naive 1st year but do any of the plugs for laptops in the library actually work? I tried about 5 different ones and none of them were working. Is there a switch or something you have to press..?

There's nothing wrong with my charger either it works usually.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Couldn't see info there for printing wirelessly from Macbooks, have I gone blind in my decrepitude?

No, but I have! Apologies.
    How to install the Wireless Printing App

The Wireless Printing App is only available for the following Operating Systems:

Windows XP
    Windows 7
    Windows 8 & 8.1

:rolleyes:

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm gonna sound like a really naive 1st year but do any of the plugs for laptops in the library actually work? I tried about 5 different ones and none of them were working. Is there a switch or something you have to press..?

IIRC the plugs have switches next to them.

No, but I have! Apologies.

:rolleyes:
    Thought I'd lost it there. Recently switched to a Mac and, while it's very pleasant, it's all a bit new and finding new ways to do old things is weird.

Thought I'd lost it there. Recently switched to a Mac and, while it's very pleasant, it's all a bit new and finding new ways to do old things is weird.

Yeah, I've worked with iOS, Windows and (now) linux. Each OS has a few things in common and I'd say the only thing to get used to is installing apps on a Mac...far easier than windows anyways (just drag it in to the applications folder). I remember some shortcuts work. Ctrl + N (new window), Ctrl + T (new tab), the ol' ctrl + c, ctrl + v, ctrl + z (undo), ctrl + x too!

You could try using Wine to run the windows .exe file (might work!).

Nah I think I'm more than happy to stay far far away from Windows. I've been using it since 3.1 and I have zero desire to go back. I was hoping to go without any MS products, but I need Office so that's installed. Couldn't find anything on Mac that could handle footnotes the way I need them. No problem though, I only use it for final formatting anyway. Am glad to be done with [almost] all of that stuff.

Nah I think I'm more than happy to stay far far away from Windows.

Ah no, Wine just lets you install / run windows programs (like executable files). I use it on my lubuntu box for the likes of the sat nav. So, install wine first then download the "app" (as they like to call it). Use wine to run the link and hopefully that should work.

If it'll suffice, the online (free) version of office (office.com you'll need an ms a/c to sign in) works. It's like google drive / docs so it's based in browser and allows inserting footnotes / page numbers, toc's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

WOO SETTING UP FOR D.I.C.E 14 THIS WEEKEND!

I'M GONNA DRINK ALL THE RED BULL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Am I the only one finding the newer Moodle impossible to navigate, I've no idea where anything is anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

thelad95 wrote: »

Most should be fine, but it takes a bit of wandering to find some that actually work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone know why there are only female toilets and no male toilets upstairs in the biology building and at the rear exit of arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Anyone else still having problems with the new website?

I was thinking of signing up to one of the free language classes. First of all the link to the pdf in the email sent around redirected you to maynoothuniversity.ie/language-centre, with no sign of the pdf.

But even worse, I went looking around the site for a sign of the pdf. This news article is the only thing I could find talking about the free courses:
    https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/language-centre/news/free-language-courses-all-maynooth-students-lasp

Go on to it, and click the link for further information. Then have a look at the url =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Anyone else still having problems with the new website?

I was thinking of signing up to one of the free language classes. First of all the link to the pdf in the email sent around redirected you to maynoothuniversity.ie/language-centre, with no sign of the pdf.

But even worse, I went looking around the site for a sign of the pdf. This news article is the only thing I could find talking about the free courses:
    https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/language-centre/news/free-language-courses-all-maynooth-students-lasp

Go on to it, and click the link for further information. Then have a look at the url =P

I had a lecture in AX1 and I couldn't remember where it was, so I clicked in it from my timetable, and that use to bring you to the map with it marked. Now if you do that it gives you this.

Thwip! wrote: »
    WOO SETTING UP FOR D.I.C.E 14 THIS WEEKEND!

I'M GONNA DRINK ALL THE RED BULL!

Nice! Completely forgot it was on this weekend. Ashamedly never knew it existed until I went to Dublin Comic Con.

It's in that 'green bit' just opposite The Big Bang in Dundrum isn't it? Do you have to pay in? I googled :pac:

Feck, does that mean that The Counter will be packed? Love that place.

Also, red bull red schmull. Coffee is where I get my caffeine kick nowadays. Used to be on a can of monster a day before I turned in to a humming bird. Humming Bird Man...now there's a useless superhero. Almost like one of Invader Jim's alternate sidekicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Am I the only one finding the newer Moodle impossible to navigate, I've no idea where anything is anymore..

The whole website is a friggin' joke.

GarIT wrote: »
    Anyone know why there are only female toilets and no male toilets upstairs in the biology building and at the rear exit of arts?

There are male toilets upstairs in the biology/CS building, they'd be directly above the same toilets on the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There are male toilets upstairs in the biology/CS building, they'd be directly above the same toilets on the ground floor.

I know but on the biology side there are no male toilets upstairs.

What actually happened was the male toilets in Arts outside Hall C were closed, so I went to the other toilets in Arts thinking I could go there but there were no male toilets. Then I went over to the biology building I thought I'd go upstairs because upstairs toilets are always cleaner and as far as I knew the building was symmetrical but when I got there there were no male toilets upstairs. IMO in a case where there is only one set of toilets they should be unisex rather than female by default.

It kind of reminds of of Arnotts female toilets on every floor with a few cubicles in each, male toilets only on the 6th floor and it was just one cubicle. Obviously I'm not saying Maynooth is anywhere near as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

GarIT wrote: »
    I know but on the biology side there are no male toilets upstairs.

What actually happened was the male toilets in Arts outside Hall C were closed, so I went to the other toilets in Arts thinking I could go there but there were no male toilets. Then I went over to the biology building I thought I'd go upstairs because upstairs toilets are always cleaner and as far as I knew the building was symmetrical but when I got there there were no male toilets upstairs.

That's strange, because I definitely used the male toilets on that end and floor of Callan, but not recently.... Maybe they got rid of them??

Certainly the ones on the ground floor of the CS end are horrid and should never be used ever.

Advertisement