Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roberts WM201

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭bugsyboy

Got the prestige 600 series router modem today from Imagine. BBC not working. Amazingly I got 5Live for a bit and then I tried the other stations. Nothing. Couldn't get 5 live then. No problem with getting them on the PC and through th wififrontier siteSo frustrating. Disabled the firewall. Still nothing. The Roberts 202 is going back to the shop. Feel like throwing it against the wall.

Anyone out there with imagine who has got a Roberts 202 receiving BBC?

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

bugsyboy wrote: »
    Got the prestige 600 series router modem today from Imagine. BBC not working. Amazingly I got 5Live for a bit and then I tried the other stations. Nothing. Couldn't get 5 live then. No problem with getting them on the PC and through th wififrontier siteSo frustrating. Disabled the firewall. Still nothing. The Roberts 202 is going back to the shop. Feel like throwing it against the wall.

Anyone out there with imagine who has got a Roberts 202 receiving BBC?

Paul

5live might have cut out for you because the live football started at 8pm and they aren't allowed to broadcast that outside the UK.

Try again later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stellanova

Reviving this thread because I just got a Roberts 202 and am having the same problem. None of the BBC national and digital stations appear in the station list at all, although the local ones do. To make things more peculiar, I found almost all the BBC national and digital Listen Again options under the Podcasts, so obviously I can stream audio from the BBC somehow, although I have no idea why it's listing these shows as Podcasts when most of them are not available as podcasts on the BBC site (they're the shows that are available via iPlayer for a week after broadcast).

Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to just listen to various BBC stations live rather than just via Listen Again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You shouldn't really have any difficulty in finding the BBC national stations. I listen to BBC Radio 4 each morning on my 202. It would be worth your while setting up an account through this site as suggested in the manual of the Roberts radio. This way you can add whatever you wish and let it sync with your radio, then set a few presets. It's a bit like having a bookmark option in your browser.

Have you manually searched? Turn on the radio, select the Menu button, then Stations, Station list, Search Stations and move across the A-Z until you can input BBC Radio 4, etc. I just tried 'BBC 4' there and it found them.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

Got a Stream 202 for Christmas. Managed to add U105 (Belfast) to My Added Stations on the Frontier website and it's working. However, when I try to add 4FM, I just cannot get it to work on the radio (works OK on the computer via the Frontier site using Realplayer). Anyone have detailed instructions for how to set it up to work on the radio. Or maybe 4FM just isn't compatible with the 202. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭decies

Got roberts 202 before xmas ,no problem with bbc stations,rights issue a nuisance all right on five live and five live extra. cant manually add 4fm as well :o.any body manage it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Maybe email 4FM and ask them if they've an ideas? Mightn't get much of a response at this time of year..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

decies wrote: »
    Got roberts 202 before xmas ,no problem with bbc stations,rights issue a nuisance all right on five live and five live extra. cant manually add 4fm as well :o.any body manage it?

is there a way to force proxy settings for specific stations on the roberts? (i don't own one to check) but if you can, might be useful for matches etc

E-mailed 4FM about a week ago. They didn't even ignore me :rolleyes:.

For the benefit of anyone having difficulty tuning the BBC stations, you can find the following notice on the Roberts website:

"BBC Internet Radio connection problems when using the Stream-202

Following recent changes made by the BBC to the range of streaming formats which are made available,
    you may find that your Stream-202 Internet Radio no longer allows you to listen to BBC National and BBC
    Local radio stations. Specifically, you may find that when attempting to connect to to a BBC station, the
    radio is now reporting "Network Error" or "Network Timeout". If this is the case then it is most probably
    the case that your radio is not using the most recent internal software (also sometimes called firmware).
    This can be checked and updated if required using the following procedure. Note that if you have the
    issue 1 version of the instruction book, then this is a slightly more detailed description of the procedure
    than in that book, although you are recommended to read that as well, see page 64. If you have the
    issue 2 version of the book, please refer to page 68.
    1) Start with the radio on (powered from the mains) and connected to your internet router using either the
    WiFi connection or an Ethernet cable. (Note - It does not matter whether the radio is actually playing or
    not.)
    2) Navigate to the Main menu, and then to the System Setup menu
    3) In the System Setup menu navigate to the Software update entry and press the Tuning/Select control.
    4) If the radio detects that new software is available you will see a message such as "Press INFO to
    update to..." followed by a version number. If this is the case and you wish to update the software then
    press the Info button.
    5) The radio will then start the update process. It will display a message saying "Warning: Do not
    remove power" followed by "Updating" and a progress bar. It is very important that the radio is not
    switched off during this process.
    6) When the update has been completed, the radio will display "Update complete. Press SELECT to
    start". Press the Tuning/Select control to restart your radio.
    7) The radio should then restart displaying a ROBERTS logo and a start up progress bar.
    8) The radio may connect to the internet and set the clock. If not, then you will need to re-enter your
    WiFi encryption key details.
    9) You will find that the menus and displays on the radio look a little different to those that you saw
    previously. The new software contains a number of enhancements to the user interface, including display
    backlight and contrast adjustments. A short description of the new features which are obtained by using
    the software update is available from the WM-202 product page on the Roberts Radio web site
    (http://www/robertsradio.co.uk)
    10) A revised version of the instruction book which describes the operation of the radio more fully taking
    the changes into account is also available from the Stream-202 product page of the Roberts Radio web
    site.
    If your radio is already running the most recently available software, then you should find that the radio is
    already able to connect to the new BBC streams (just use the internet radio stations menu as normal).
    However, if you wish to check whether a firmware update is available for your radio, then please use the
    procedure above. The radio will show a message if the software is already up to date. If not, then you
    may update the software as described.
    Once your radio has been updated, you should find that the BBC stations are accessible once more. You
    may still find that not all BBC stations are always accessible. This may be due to changes still being
    made by the BBC, or perhaps due to network congestion. Many internet radio stations can from time to
    time have more radios trying to connect than they are able to support.
    We hope that this revised software will allow you to continue to enjoy your Roberts Stream-202 radio.
    Roberts Radio will work with the BBC to ensure that your radio continues to offer you the full range of
    BBC radio stations wherever possible."

Hope this provides a cure for your problem. BUT, pay particular attention to point 5 above. And before you start make sure that your internet connection is rock solid. Apparently you can permanently damage the radio if you're not careful. Good luck.

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »

Found this site,would be nice to add uk feeds to roberts,but can listen to five live sports extra test cricket on net.http://www.radio-now.co.uk/listen_football.htm

Anybody manage 4FM? Probably not compatible with 202, then?

egal wrote: »
    Anybody manage 4FM? Probably not compatible with 202, then?

I think it's more of a recivia/4fm issue than 202 issue.

have you contacted 4fm?

Yes, attempted to contact 4FM - see above. The 202 uses the Frontier-Silicon database, not the Reciva. Have a notion the isssue is with the 202, rather than Frontier or 4FM. The 202 claims to be compatible with MP3, WMA and Real audio only.

Yes, attempted to contact 4FM - see above. The 202 uses the Frontier-Silicon database, not the Reciva. Have a notion the isssue is with the 202, rather than Frontier or 4FM. The 202 claims to be compatible with MP3, WMA and Real audio only.

I've tried it on a number of radio's and it doesn't work, when i add it to the custom station's on pure's lounge the lounge itself can't connect nor can the radio.

so it doesn't seem to be a "radio" problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭vinnielo

The 4FM stream is in an aacPlus format. Your radio needs to support this format to be able to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I've got a WM-201 and only have issues on magnet.
    All bbc stations worked on UPC internet ,but as soon as I moved to new place ,BBC1 doesn't work anymore on magnet.

If I may go on a tangent here, and this may only really apply to anyone who has had a Roberts 202 for a while, have you done a software update lately? I did one yesterday and it's changed the look of the menus a little bit. Had to rejoin my wireless network, redo alarms, presets, etc, but the new layout is growing on me. The text is smaller and they've made more things fit onto the screen at once, I think.

Incidentally, I don't think I can get any DAB stations at all. I don't think I'll ever use them, but you never know. I'm in north county Dublin.

vinnielo wrote: »
    The 4FM stream is in an aacPlus format. Your radio needs to support this format to be able to play it.

Well, that's it then. End of story. Pity, though. There must be a few oldies like myself who are not within range of a transmitter and who would have liked to be able to listen on the 202 that Santa brought.

Well, that's it then. End of story. Pity, though. There must be a few oldies like myself who are not within range of a transmitter and who would have liked to be able to listen on the 202 that Santa brought.

If enough of us bang on to 4fm they should offer an alternate stream,

AFAIK not many wifi radio's support it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭vinnielo

Alternatively, the manufacturer (Roberts) could offer it in their next set of updates.

E-mailed 4FM again. Got a reply this time. Here's the reply I got (name of sender removed):

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately 4fm is not available on audio streaming. You can only listen to live streaming online from our website, www.4fm.ie, and through the fm frequencies. I hope this is of some help.

Yours sincerely,"

How should one respond to this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭MenloPete

Just (yesterday) got an OXX Classic which is also Frontier Silicon based - and it also gives Network Error on BBC streams.
    I also have a Reciva based radio which connects fine to BBC, so I don't believe this has anything to do with router issues.
    My firmware is up to date.

I suspect the Frontier Silicon portal is doing some kind of geolocking, but I haven't found any forums specifically on Frontier, unlike the really helpful one on Reciva.

Early days yet, though...

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If I may go on a tangent here, and this may only really apply to anyone who has had a Roberts 202 for a while, have you done a software update lately? I did one yesterday and it's changed the look of the menus a little bit. Had to rejoin my wireless network, redo alarms, presets, etc, but the new layout is growing on me. The text is smaller and they've made more things fit onto the screen at once, I think.

Yeah - I like it I have to say. Also, you can turn down the backlight as well, which is great if you're using it as an alarm clock.

Incidentally, I don't think I can get any DAB stations at all. I don't think I'll ever use them, but you never know. I'm in north county Dublin.
    I'm in Swords and can get them all no problems, once the arial is extended.
    MenloPete wrote: »

I suspect the Frontier Silicon portal is doing some kind of geolocking, but I haven't found any forums specifically on Frontier, unlike the really helpful one on Reciva.

Hi Peter, I think you may be right there. I've had no problems with the BBC streams (haven't tried today yet tho) on my 202, but I have been able to listen to UK-only matches on 5Live, I suspect there's a proxy involved somewhere alright.

Yeah, turning off the backlight is quite handy in the evening time. Good to see Roberts thinking about these little things.

I forgot it had an aerial, DAB works now. :o

Yeah, turning off the backlight is quite handy in the evening time. Good to see Roberts thinking about these little things.

I forgot it had an aerial, they now work. :o

lol :) the DAB is very reliant on the aerial I've found, but you should be grand now.

tbh wrote: »
    Hi Peter, I think you may be right there. I've had no problems with the BBC streams (haven't tried today yet tho) on my 202, but I have been able to listen to UK-only matches on 5Live, I suspect there's a proxy involved somewhere alright.

Can you add custom channels?

I added http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_int.ram to pure's lounge and can now get the matches, but not if i listen to pure's 5 live stream

ntlbell wrote: »
    Can you add custom channels?

I added http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_int.ram to pure's lounge and can now get the matches, but not if i listen to pure's 5 live stream

you can, but I haven't - just assumed it was because it was coming from a UK proxy...must have a play around with it and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭MenloPete

I added a Real Audio Radio 4 link into 'My Added Stations' and -Hey Presto- it works!
    So at least I can listen to whatever I wish, but it's a bit strange that the built-in links (WMA) all fail

• Advertisement

Try adding this to my favourites frontier silicon,five live to hear matches http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream.ram

Try adding this five live sports extra link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/surestream_sportsextra.ram

Advertisement