Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray shop to mix paint for old frame?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm restoring a 1980 Peugeot frame - its a CFX-10 (their top racing frame of the period). The paintwork and decals are in pretty good condition, so I only want to touch up a few spots.

I'm looking for a car spray shop/panel beater, preferably in Dublin (or South Dub), who would mix some paint to match the existing colour - I'm happy to do the touch ups by brush myself. As its only touchups, and the bike is not for show, I'm happy with a fairly close match that will pass from about 10 feet away.

Colour is a metallic lime green (described as a pearlesence) and I've already tried mixing modelling paints with no luck.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Please put some photos up..... Super Competition.. mmmmmm

Pearl paint is notoriously hard to match and any part of the frame that is "tarted up" will stand out.

Decals for a Peugeot are very easy to get hold off. A full respray is your only option to do it right or just ride as is warts and all. Without a paint code very few spray shops can match the paint correctly.

are you fitting a modern groupset or going with original stuff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jogger

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Please put some photos up..... Super Competition.. mmmmmm

Pearl paint is notoriously hard to match and any part of the frame that is "tarted up" will stand out.

Decals for a Peugeot are very easy to get hold off. A full respray is your only option to do it right or just ride as is warts and all. Without a paint code very few spray shops can match the paint correctly.

are you fitting a modern groupset or going with original stuff ?

Not sure I have done enough posts to attach photos (but I'll figure out a way to put a photo somewhere and provide the link).

I agree that a full respray is the only way to do it right, but I'm a fan of keeping avarything as original as possible, and I am happy with it "looking it age". I have applied a primer/base colour (not too bad) to all the touch-up areas, but I need it to be a bit better.

I am not fitting a modern groupset, but have bought a mix of period parts (some of them e.g. wheels) may creep into the '90s but everything else (except derailleurs which I will replace) is from the early mid '80s. As the BB threads were "machined" in the past to fit a threadless BB (a previous owner obviously couldn't find a French BB), I've been forced down the threadless route - which made it almost mandatory to go Shimano. I went for Shimano 600 Arabesque Chainset (liked the look of it) and brake levers/calipers, 600 Tri-Colore wheels with Mavic MA2s, Simplex Retrofriction gear levers, Simplex seat post, Cinellli stem & bars. I have old campag pedals with toe clips and a Rolls saddle. Would like to source a campag rear mech (although could take one of one of my other bikes).

Real plan is to do L'eroica, in Italy, and my other bikes are not quite old enough, so this is a project for that event - next year I'm old enough to do it without going through the lottery to enter.

Will post a link to photo as soon as I sort that out.
    Just added link - https[COLON-SLASH-SLASH]peugeotcfx10build[DOT]shutterfly[DOT]com
    You will need to cut & paste it into address bar and then :
    - replace the "[COLON-SLASH-SLASH]" with "://"
    - replace both "[DOT]" with "."
    unfortunately I do not have enough postings to be permitted to include links

Advertisement