Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query over records on irishgenealogy.ie

• 07-07-2014 11:46am
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

This new site is a fabulous resource but I've hit a hitch tracing my own records.
    As I know the date & district of my birth I've narrowed my search down to 80 candidates, half of which are the wrong sex so I'm one out of 40 approx.
    Problem is there's no number on my Birth or Adoption Cert that correlates to the Group Registration ID which they quote.
    This has stopped me in my tracks for now & probably lead me to parking the exercise for a few more years like I continually do.
    Anyone offer any advice ?.

I was born in 1973 in Stamullen Orphanage & adoted after only 2 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Have you received any non identifying info relating to your adoption? Out of the 40 female entries that you have found for your date of birth are any of the baby's surname matching the birth mothers maiden name? As regards bring adopted from Stamullen M&b home unless you know for sure, it doesn't necessarily mean you were born there. My Dh was brought home from St Pats on Navan Road and his parents assumed he was then born there, but when he got his non identifying info it turns out he was born in Mayo and then transferred to Dublin.
    Your adoption cert won't have any link to your original birth cert as far as I know. That cert is for the entry into the Adoption Register.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Ghekko wrote: »
    Have you received any non identifying info relating to your adoption? Out of the 40 female entries that you have found for your date of birth are any of the baby's surname matching the birth mothers maiden name? As regards bring adopted from Stamullen M&b home unless you know for sure, it doesn't necessarily mean you were born there. My Dh was brought home from St Pats on Navan Road and his parents assumed he was then born there, but when he got his non identifying info it turns out he was born in Mayo and then transferred to Dublin.
    Your adoption cert won't have any link to your original birth cert as far as I know. That cert is for the entry into the Adoption Register.

I haven't written looking for non-identifying info yet.

I'd since read the first pdf on tracing & realised that Dublin as my place of birth meant nothing.
    Returning to my search but now countrywide threw up 214 possible entries of which 5 were the correct sex & the babies surname matched the mothers name.

My problem now is that all I have is a Group Registration ID for each of the 5 births but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If you write off to the adoption authority of ireland now and ask for your non identifying info it should narrow it down to one. Even knowing your original first name might do it. Send a photocopy of id (passport or drivers licence) with your request. There is a template on the tracing guide to help you write the letter. Best of luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

It is weird that after not having any info for 41 years that I can now go online & narrow it down to 5 possible births after half an hour of internet trawling.

Of course who's to say my birth date is correct & identifying the mother after this time frame might prove fruitless but it's getting exciting.
    Does anyone know what that Group Register ID means under the irishgeneology.ie listings?.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Does anyone know what that Group Register ID means under the irishgeneology.ie listings?.

If you were looking for a cert under the old system, you would look through the index books [now in Werburgh Street] until you found your match. Next to your name and date you would see a volume and page number which correspond to the entry in the Register of Births which the staff member can access to provided you with a research cert ie a copy of the page of the Register of Births containing your entry.
    Now that the Register of Births has been digitised, rather than the volume and page number you only need to provide the Group Register ID in order to acquire your research cert.

Claire Santry's blog has an article about the new website if anyone's interested.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

I was born in 1973 in Stamullen Orphanage & adoted after only 2 weeks.

Hi Shiraz, I was just reading your post and wanted to say that it was very unusal for babies to be born in Stamullen...My husband was adopted from Stamullen but born in Athy...his brother was also born in athy and adopted through Stamullen...hope this helps with you search..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There's a thread about it here and the latest on the debacle is on Claire Santry's genealogy blog.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

argh..raging i only found out about this online facility after it was too late! was it available long? Looking through the rows and rows of births in the books melted my brain. i have made two trips already to gro offices using the tracing guide in a bid to find my original birth cert but alas nothing. The first time was in the old premises in ilac centre and most recently the new building. I must have missed something both times or else identifying information I have been given is false. I found both adventures so emotionally draining that it takes me ages to pluck up courage to go back again to it.is there any alternative digital search facility or easier method now, even in gro office? would make my life so much easier. thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

argh..raging i only found out about this online facility after it was too late! was it available long? Looking through the rows and rows of births in the books melted my brain. i have made two trips already to gro offices using the tracing guide in a bid to find my original birth cert but alas nothing. The first time was in the old premises in ilac centre and most recently the new building. I must have missed something both times or else identifying information I have been given is false. I found both adventures so emotionally draining that it takes me ages to pluck up courage to go back again to it.is there any alternative digital search facility or easier method now, even in gro office? would make my life so much easier. thanks

Ignore the identifying information.
    Go back to basics.
    Assume your birthday is accurate- and absolutely nothing else.
    Get all the mother's surname- child's surname combo's for your date of birth.
    You may have 10 or 15- so be it.
    One of these is the right one.

Now- research the mothers.
    Dates of birth, places of birth etc etc etc
    Build up a picture for each profile.
    Excel spreadsheets help- it can get quite convoluted.

Are there are little throwaway comments in the non-identifying information- along the lines of a cause of death for a grandparent- or that one lived to be spectacularly old- or died very young? Does it say your mother had several brothers and sisters......

You are looking at researching several family trees- it may involve church records as well as the GRO records.

I've seen kitchen walls covered in family trees- and indeed have myself managed to track down the most improbable names imagineable.

Some people get lucky and find the information they're looking for straight off- for others its a hard hard slog.

Your birth is recorded in the GRO- along with everyone elses- however- you may have an interesting time deciphering which is yours.

My own search took the best part of a decade- and involved checking out graveyards around the country, coroners court records, church baptismal and marriage certs, chats with retired postmen, chats with the local secretaries of national sporting organisations etc.

Some people get lucky- for others- its a damn long journey- if you persevere- you will find whatever there is to find- which hopefully will be your birthmum at the end of the journey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement