Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-08-2012, 19:37   #166
techdiver

Just have been to see The Expendables 2 in iSense in Point Village.

I have to say the picture quality was nothing short of awful! Some of the scenes were as bad as a compressed internet download at times. I'm assuming it is whatever quality the movie is supplied in or the transfer to this digital format used as when I saw TDKR a few weeks ago the picture was perfect.

One thing I noticed from TDKR was the sound, while quite impressive the background music etc was far too high in comparison to the dialogue. At times you couldn't hear what the characters were saying over the music (not just Bane, all the characters!). I have seen TDKR since in the BFI IMAX in London and the sound was much clearer from a dialogue point of view.
Advertisement
23-10-2012, 10:28   #167
aindriu80

Is the cinema (Odeon Cinema) at the point IMAX ?

(proper IMAX)
23-10-2012, 10:49   #168
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

By proper IMAX I assume you mean 70mm IMAX. No, that's never going to happen here. It's pretty much a dead format. The cinema in the Point is iSense, which is basically Odeon's version of Digital (non-70mm) IMAX.

Cineworld should have a Digital IMAX screen by the end of the year.
23-10-2012, 12:11   #169
aindriu80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
By proper IMAX I assume you mean 70mm IMAX. No, that's never going to happen here. It's pretty much a dead format. The cinema in the Point is iSense, which is basically Odeon's version of Digital (non-70mm) IMAX.

Cineworld should have a Digital IMAX screen by the end of the year.

Well I was just watching CNBC and they had someone on talking about IMAX with the new bond film being released. The guy said they had 5 new IMAX cinemas opening in Europe this year (4 in the Netherlands and 1 in Austria). He said there was around 140 odd IMAX cinemas worldwide... from what I can remember

Anyway I don't know what what constitutes the IMAX here in Ireland but he said IMAX was something like 25% taller than a regular cinema. Is it even close to IMAX ?

Quote:
http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/ ......the fact that IMAX does not even let consumers know the difference is a travesty. They are completely different technologies, entirely different experiences, but they are marketed as the same thing — IMAX.
Its LIEMAX ?

Last edited by aindriu80; 23-10-2012 at 12:34.
23-10-2012, 12:49   #170
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

He was almost certainly talking about Digital IMAX which is the future as far IMAX is concerned. Old 70mm IMAX screens are HUGE. At least 3 times as tall as a regular size screen. I don't know how many Digital IMAX screens there are worldwide, but it's definitely more than a 140. There is far fewer 70mm IMAX screens and nearly all of them are in the US. These screens aren't really suitable for digital projection and widescreen aspect ratios - they are too big and the format too expensive. Which is why (outside of Nolan's Batman films) 70mm IMAX was traditionally only used for nature documentaries and the like.
Advertisement
23-10-2012, 12:59   #171
aindriu80

Very interesting. Cinema et al in the U.S has always been pretty serious and that's why they got their massive screens I guess. I'm pretty sure he did say 140 screens, maybe that's an expecting new crop.

Anyway I hope they made a half decent effort with the digital version since 70mm won't be in too many places.
13-12-2012, 22:12   #172
maulikdesai1

Anyone seen hobbit in I sense yet? Want to see if Isense is better or the new IMAX at cineworld to see this movie in 48fps
23-10-2013, 08:26   #173
Decobuzz

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

Just two quick questions. What road do you access the underground carpark from?
Are premium seating worth the extra few quid?
23-10-2013, 09:09   #174
delbertgrady

You turn off the East Wall Road onto Sheriff Street, and the entrance is just a little bit down from the junction.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion