Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Billy Elliot The Musical live in cinemas

• 13-06-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Have been notified that a live performance from London of Billy Elliot The Musical is being beamed into cinemas here and UK on Sunday 28th September at 2pm with repeat showings in the evening. I have no details of what cinemas are participating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Have been notified that a live performance from London of Billy Elliot The Musical is being beamed into cinemas here and UK on Sunday 28th September at 2pm with repeat showings in the evening. I have no details of what cinemas are participating.

Really??! So there if I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The system won't let me post a link despite having registered here two years ago.

if you type BillyElliotLive and then add .co.uk you will get to the booking site but, so far, no cinemas have been listed even in UK. Note there is only one "t" in Elliot, LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

One would imagine it'll be the same cinemas that show NT Live, Met Live etc showings. My feeling is that this is a sign the show is not long for the West End, but maybe that's me just being cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Its up on the Omniplex website and that has booking links for Antrim, Cork, Dublin-Swan, Dundonald, Kennedy-Centre-Belfast, Limerick, Lisburn and Newry http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/movie/m4846
    AndrewJD wrote: »
    One would imagine it'll be the same cinemas that show NT Live, Met Live etc showings. My feeling is that this is a sign the show is not long for the West End, but maybe that's me just being cynical.
    Well to be fair it has been running for 9 years now so if this is its last hurrah then it's still done quite well for itself. I remember a few years back there was talk the owners of the Victoria Palace had been wanting to do some extensive renovations so I'm surprised its actually still running. Actually, looking at the website it has a note about Ruthie Henshall playing the role of Mrs. Wilkinson until 16 May 2015 so there might be a bit of life in the show yet. Suppose it would make sense they'd go for the 10 years just to make a statement if nothing else.

Its interesting actually that it'll take place on a Sunday which means there won't be an actual audience in the theatre. I'd have thought that would add a bit of atmosphere if there was a full house but I've not seen any of the other live shows that have been broadcast like this so I don't know if thats the usual way of it.

Billy is by no means on its last legs. Quite the opposite. It plays to almost full houses with standing ovations every night and they are continually auditioning kids now and into the future. It will run at least to Autumn 2016 when the Victoria Palace Theatre will close for refurbishment for possibly a year. Whether the show will move to another theatre for the duration or go on tour has not been decided yet.

The theatre has recently been bought over by Cameron Mackintosh.

There WILL be a live audience on 28th September for which you can book on the website. I think that Cineworld will be involved as well but which cinemas I don't know yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Why broadcast it then? The NT etc do it because of their commitment as a national theatre, as an institution. Les Mis and Phantom did it to celebrate anniversaries and make a bit cash in the knowledge that nothing can dent their box office revenues at this stage. Why would you bother doing this if not to try and drum up better sales or gear up for a tour?

I suppose its a way of getting money from people who either can't or won't travel to see a show. I know my aunt & uncle go to most of the shows that get broadcast to cinemas but they wouldn't dream of going to the likes of London or New York just to see one. Speaking for myself, I used to go over to London quite a bit but haven't been over in a few years now; if more of the big productions would get broadcast I'd certainly be willing to go see them in the cinema and that gets the various producers some of my money that they otherwise wouldn't be getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I would imagine that the success of the aforementioned cinema releases were financial successes and they are jumping on the bandwagon so to speak.

I think it's a brilliant feature, Id love a couple of shows a year to do it. Can't feasibly get to London often and this is a nice alternative

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Why broadcast it then? The NT etc do it because of their commitment as a national theatre, as an institution. Les Mis and Phantom did it to celebrate anniversaries and make a bit cash in the knowledge that nothing can dent their box office revenues at this stage. Why would you bother doing this if not to try and drum up better sales or gear up for a tour?
    Oh ye of little faith, LOL.

Billy is celebrating its 10th Anniversary in May 2015 and this is just the beginning of the party :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I wish they'd do this with more musicals. It's not the same as seeing the real thing live in the cinema, but it is a way of experiencing it & wetting the appetite for "the real thing", equally, if you find it's not for you, at least you'll not have spent €60

• Advertisement

It has been announced that original Billy, Liam Mower, will be returning for a one-off appearance as Older Billy for this live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Billy Elliot is one of my favourite musicals, have seen it quite a few times. Can't wait to see it in the cinema.

If anyone missed this, they're after releasing the performance on DVD & Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Elliot-Musical-Live-Blu-ray/dp/B00NXR1EEI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's also on UPC on demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

JohnK wrote: »
    If anyone missed this, they're after releasing the performance on DVD & Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Elliot-Musical-Live-Blu-ray/dp/B00NXR1EEI/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2
    Thanks for that, would never have thought to look on DVD. Saw this when it was broadcast to cinemas earlier in the year and thought it was terrific.

I've discovered that the Billy Live show is on BA's long haul routes if you want to see it, LOL.

On the show's 10th Anniversary in May a UK and Ireland Tour was announced with the first two in Plymouth (Feb 2016) and Bradford (May 2016). No news yet on Ireland date or venue.

The London show has had its current booking period extended to Dec 2016 with the theatre refurbishment put back again. My contact confirms that they're still packing 'em in every night and that Ruthie Henshall has extended her contract.

The Victoria Palace is now Delfont-Mackintosh owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Irish venue will be interesting, I think it's suited to the Olympia though that might lead to a lot of reduced eyeline seats for a certain part of the show. I think it would be lost in the BGET, or even the Gaiety.

Advertisement