Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loughcrewe

Options
  • 18-05-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell us a bit more about Loughcrew?

Its a huge complex and has some very interesting field markings which suggests more human settlements?

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Absolutely fascinating complex, definitely a significant site in the megalithic era. Cairn T is the centerpiece of Carinbane East, with a plethora of artwork in the cairn itself and a still functioning solar calender. the various smaller satellite cairns all have significant alignments, which are hard to establish due to their condition, but which are all noteworthy, due to weathering, many of the engravings are hard to recognize.

Also worthy of note is that Cairn T has a sonic resonance (7hz from memory) I've long held a suspicion that this was either significant in terms of it's construction, or in terms of it's function, or both. I'm of the opinion that the builders of this megalith knew more about the wave nature of light and sound than was understood until Huygens in the 17th century, as the carvings indicate that they used wave symbols as a counting mechanism, and the cairn is constructed in a form with deliberate optical and sonic properties. This is pure speculation on my behalf, as I have had neither time nor opportunity to investigate it further, but a book called stone-age soundtracks by Paul Devereux does look into the significance of Cairn T's acoustic properties, and across a range of other megalthic structures. My suspicion is that the stone bowls in the cairns, along with some water and very hot rocks were used to generate steam, which was then illuminated by light and manipulated by soundwaves to produce a visual pattern. Again, speculation, but the science works, and I don't believe in coincidences.

As to it's function in relation to Brú na Bóinne, Carrowkeel and Uisneach, again it's speculation, but on a clear day, Tara, Uisneach, Sheemore and Sheebeg are visible from the top of Cairn T.

I would love to see the mysteries of this location being unlocked, or explored, and some preservation and restoration work being done ( Particularly on Cairnbane West) with the full preservation and opening to the public of all three sites (East, West, and Patrickstown Hill) As I don't believe that we will ever improve our understanding of the location without consideration of the full complex.

Either way, a beautiful and unique location, definitely worthy of world heritage status and a must see for the curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Absolutely fascinating complex, definitely a significant site in the megalithic era. Cairn T is the centerpiece of Carinbane East, with a plethora of artwork in the cairn itself and a still functioning solar calender. the various smaller satellite cairns all have significant alignments, which are hard to establish due to their condition, but which are all noteworthy, due to weathering, many of the engravings are hard to recognize.

Also worthy of note is that Cairn T has a sonic resonance (7hz from memory) I've long held a suspicion that this was either significant in terms of it's construction, or in terms of it's function, or both. I'm of the opinion that the builders of this megalith knew more about the wave nature of light and sound than was understood until Huygens in the 17th century, as the carvings indicate that they used wave symbols as a counting mechanism, and the cairn is constructed in a form with deliberate optical and sonic properties. This is pure speculation on my behalf, as I have had neither time nor opportunity to investigate it further, but a book called stone-age soundtracks by Paul Devereux does look into the significance of Cairn T's acoustic properties, and across a range of other megalthic structures. My suspicion is that the stone bowls in the cairns, along with some water and very hot rocks were used to generate steam, which was then illuminated by light and manipulated by soundwaves to produce a visual pattern. Again, speculation, but the science works, and I don't believe in coincidences.

As to it's function in relation to Brú na Bóinne, Carrowkeel and Uisneach, again it's speculation, but on a clear day, Tara, Uisneach, Sheemore and Sheebeg are visible from the top of Cairn T.

I would love to see the mysteries of this location being unlocked, or explored, and some preservation and restoration work being done ( Particularly on Cairnbane West) with the full preservation and opening to the public of all three sites (East, West, and Patrickstown Hill) As I don't believe that we will ever improve our understanding of the location without consideration of the full complex.

Either way, a beautiful and unique location, definitely worthy of world heritage status and a must see for the curious.

The frequency of 7hz is associated with the Theta brainwaves that control creativity and intuition, so the below link claims.

How much of this is actual science and how much is speculative/alternative/spirituality I don't know, but it's an interesting link on the 7hz.

http://www.masteryourminds.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=37

Advertisement