Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[PR] Mobile Phones and Driving

Options
  • 16-05-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭

You're four times
    Its hard to
    more likely to
    concentrate on
    have a crash
    two things
    when you're on
    at the same time.
    a mobile phone.

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Mobile_Phones_and_Driving.html
    You're four times more likely to have a crash when you're on a mobile phone.

Its hard to concentrate on two things at the same time.

DRIVERS 4 TIMES MORE LIKELY TO CRASH WHILE ON THE PHONE
    - Over 35,000 Penalty Points Issued for Mobile Phone Offences -

People who use a mobile phone while driving are 4 TIMES more likely to have a crash, putting themselves and other road-users at an increased risk of death or serious injury. This is the hard-hitting message from the Road Safety Authority (RSA), today, Thursday 15th May, at the launch of their new ‘Mobile Phones and Driving’ awareness campaign.

According to Noel Brett, Chief Executive, Road Safety Authority, drivers and other road-users should be aware of the dangers of using mobile phones when driving: “Research tells us that you are 4 TIMES more likely to have a crash if you use a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone when you are driving.* Using a mobile phone while driving distracts the driver, impairs their control of the vehicle and reduces their awareness of what is happening around them.”

Penalty points for holding a mobile phone while driving a vehicle came into force on 1st September 2006. As of 30th April 2008, there have been 35,253 offences for holding a mobile phone while driving, the third highest offence behind Speeding and Driving without a Safety Belt. Any person found holding a mobile phone faces up to 4 penalty points and a fine of €2,000 if convicted.

Conor Faughnan, Corporate Affairs Manager, Automobile Association welcomed the initiative: “I think this is very timely and helpful from the RSA. There is no doubt that in Ireland we are a nation of mobile phone junkies. We simply have to get out of the all-too-easy habit of using the phone while driving. We all know intuitively that it is dangerous and now we have the data to prove it. There is a clear responsibility both on drivers and on those who call them to put road safety first and let the call wait until later.”
    Chief Superintendent Declan Coburn, Garda National Traffic Bureau, is concerned that drivers do not appreciate the adverse impact of using a mobile phone while driving, and continue to offend in this area of road safety: "The use of a mobile phone while driving affects a driver’s ability to maintain lane position, speed and an appropriate distance from vehicles in front. Judgement and recognition of safe gaps in traffic are impaired, reaction times are slower and the driver does not have the necessary awareness of other traffic. Garda personnel are enforcing the law on mobile phones on a daily basis and, for the first 4 months of this year, have issued in excess of 13,000 fixed charge notices. The use of mobile phones has become a normal part of everyday life, however, for the safety of all road users there is no place for them when driving."

Concluding Mr. Brett said, “We understand that many people need to use their mobile phone as part of their daily lives but it’s a scientific fact that drivers who use a mobile phone while driving have higher accident rates than those who do not. Our message is simple - Switch off before you drive off - If you need to make a phone call or check messages, pull in and park in a safe place. No phone call is worth putting your life or the lives of others at risk.”

The RSA has produced an information leaflet called ‘Mobile Phones and Driving’ which can be downloaded from www.rsa.ie . In addition to this, a new 30 second radio ad outlining the dangers of driving while using a mobile phone is being run on all national and local radio stations.

The leaflet provides the following advice for drivers:

1.Switch off before you drive off. Turn off your mobile phone or put it on the ‘silent’ or ‘meeting’ option setting before starting your journey.
    2.Use the voicemail on your mobile phone so people can leave messages for you while you’re travelling.
    3.Stop regularly on your journey so you can check for messages and return any calls.
    4.Make sure the place you stop is a legal and safe place to park. It is illegal to stop on a motorway unless it is an emergency.
    5.If you call someone on their mobile phone while they are driving, be aware that they should be concentrating on their driving and not on your conversation. Tell them you will call them back or wait until they pull their car over.

*Department for Transport UK

Editors Note;
    A total of 103 people have died on Irish roads to date in 2008 compared to 126 to the same date last year. The number of fatalities on Irish roads this year is down 23 on this day 2007.

The number of road fatalities to date in May 2008 is 6.

To download a copy of the “Mobile Phones & Driving” leaflet click
    here
    To listen to the RSA’s new Mobile Phone Radio ad click here

For further information, please contact:
    Brian Farrell, Communications Manager, Road Safety Authority: 086 3881009
    Communications Office, Road Safety Authority: 096 25132
    Eimear Hurley: 087 6418491

ROAD SAFETY AUTHORITY
    Moy Valley, Ballina, Co. Mayo. www.rsa.ie

Dear Subscriber,
    A new publication has been uploaded on the Road Safety Authority website, which you can review below.

Title: Mobile Phones and Driving, Description:Mobile Phones and Driving, Category:Road Safety

http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/848_RSA_Mobile_DL.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

To further reduce distractions map-reading, singing along to the radio, eating, drinking, changing tracks on your MP3 player, fiddling with the A/C, and opening or closing windows while driving will from Wednesday be penalty-point offences. Please stop your car in a legal position before attempting any of these complex tasks.

Research has also established that having passengers in the car, especially children, can also be distracting. It is therefore recommended that all passengers be rendered unconscious for the duration of the trip. To encourage safe driving, the Department will be issuing 2 lb rubber mallets to all drivers, with which noisy passengers can be stunned into silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zube wrote: »
    To further reduce distractions map-reading, singing along to the radio, eating, drinking, changing tracks on your MP3 player, fiddling with the A/C, and opening or closing windows while driving will from Wednesday be penalty-point offences. Please stop your car in a legal position before attempting any of these complex tasks.

Research has also established that having passengers in the car, especially children, can also be distracting. It is therefore recommended that all passengers be rendered unconscious for the duration of the trip. To encourage safe driving, the Department will be issuing 2 lb rubber mallets to all drivers, with which noisy passengers can be stunned into silence.
    Very funny.

Actually (proper) research has shown that there is indeed a very significant difference between the amount of distraction provided by attempting to hold a conversation on a phone and any kind of in-car distractions. In my experience, people in the car with you subconsciously pick up on situations and know when to shut up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It might just be my dyspraxia but when I hear that ad on the radio I can make out both voices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Alun wrote: »
    Very funny.

Actually (proper) research has shown that there is indeed a very significant difference between the amount of distraction provided by attempting to hold a conversation on a phone and any kind of in-car distractions. In my experience, people in the car with you subconsciously pick up on situations and know when to shut up.

you are right there...when i was out giving son 1 a driving lesson the other day we met a huge tractor and son 2 in the back had such a sharp intake of breath we in the front passed out for lack of oxygen...

Alun wrote: »
    Very funny.

In my experience, people in the car with you subconsciously pick up on situations and know when to shut up.

Except the wife! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

personally its just another scam man
    another way for the gov to steal OUR HARK WORKED money

the dont really care about if we die or not they just say we do

call me paranoid but i firmly believe this to be true

why would they

if they HONESTLY cared about us one of the things they could do is make sure no car can speed over a certain speed and only law enforcement or people who sAVe lives can go above chosen speed limit

but u know thats never gonna happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

personally its just another scam man
    another way for the gov to steal OUR HARK WORKED money

the dont really care about if we die or not they just say we do

call me paranoid but i firmly believe this to be true

why would they

if they HONESTLY cared about us one of the things they could do is make sure no car can speed over a certain speed and only law enforcement or people who sAVe lives can go above chosen speed limit

but u know thats never gonna happen

you're paranoid....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

your damn right im paranoid but if u think about it i have a reason to be

have you ever taken your car to get "fixed" by a mechanic ONLY for something else to **** up a few weeks later?

your damn right im paranoid but if u think about it i have a reason to be

have you ever taken your car to get "fixed" by a mechanic ONLY for something else to **** up a few weeks later?
    I've frequently had that happen,
    like I get new tyres and F&*K, SIX MONTHS LATER! the exhaust goes :rolleyes:

Advertisement